Sark Stuffs The Barclay Twins

Cronky

True though I think the Barclay Brothers seem the worse option. I can imagine that all their motivations are driven by financial interests or trying to make the best use of their money in the selfish of ways.

They had been buying up property on Sark. The hotels, which at a guess were profit making. The shops (rented out?) which were bringing them money, etc... Now these properties are to be left empty, because they can afford to do that, to spite the Sarkees. The Sarkees are hardly likely to feel more behoven to the brothers when they are leaving properties to rot. There has certainly been a lot of ill feeling down there.

The brothers do not need Sark - it has been a bit like a toy railway for them. Now clearly they are fed up with it and they have stopped playing. Their own shopping (if any is local) is done in Guernsey. They have their own vessels too, so have no need to rely on anyone else for transport for themselves or their goods.

They had been buying up property on Sark. The hotels, which at a guess were profit making. The shops (rented out?) which were bringing them money, etc... Now these properties are to be left empty, because they can afford to do that, to spite the Sarkees. The Sarkees are hardly likely to feel more behoven to the brothers when they are leaving properties to rot. There has certainly been a lot of ill feeling down there.

The brothers do not need Sark - it has been a bit like a toy railway for them. Now clearly they are fed up with it and they have stopped playing. Their own shopping (if any is local) is done in Guernsey. They have their own vessels too, so have no need to rely on anyone else for transport for themselves or their goods.

When you say that the shops and hotels are left empty, I think the locals should just carry on as before. What would happen? Would the police have to sent in from somewhere to kick the locals off private property?

True though I think the Barclay Brothers seem the worse option. I can imagine that all their motivations are driven by financial interests or trying to make the best use of their money in the selfish of ways.

There doesn't seem to be much love lost between the Sarkees and the Barclay brothers. The brothers have been buying up properties, because they can, and have presumably been making profits from the hotels and rents from shops, etc. Now they have stopped the businesses from operating, again because they can, and they will leave the properties empty, potentially until they rot, because they can afford to do just that, and there is little anyone can do to stop them.

From the news items I have read, the locals have left the brothers' premises.

If there was a pier there, and I was local, I'd be tempted to tell them to go and play on the end of it on a wet (and slippery) day.

The Sarkees survived before the brothers moved into the area. It is to be hoped that they can rise above all of these new challenges and keep the island the paradise that it is. First step is probably to creat new laws of compulsory purchase that will allow for the hotels etc.. to be re-opened.

First step is probably to creat new laws of compulsory purchase that will allow for the hotels etc.. to be re-opened.

Quite right.

And since an empty hotel produces no income, it makes no profit, and therefore has no value. So compensation would be zero. Nice one.

S

There doesn't seem to be much love lost between the Sarkees and the Barclay brothers. The brothers have been buying up properties, because they can, and have presumably been making profits from the hotels and rents from shops, etc. Now they have stopped the businesses from operating, again because they can, and they will leave the properties empty, potentially until they rot, because they can afford to do just that, and there is little anyone can do to stop them.

They don't come out of this Sark-lark covered in glory. A couple of petty landlords wanting to return the Island to its feudal days if you ask me. Anyone for a spot of forelock tugging?

Any way hopefully the Barclays will be the next couple of financial geniuses to be bankrupted by the credit crunch.

Whats the guessing: Exposure to fake hedge funds? Banks call in multi billion debts? Property empire collapses? invested all their money in magic beans?

The Torygraph gave the twins a very sympathetic write-up. I wonder why that was. However The Times saw it completely differently. Funny that...

The Bellylaugh's former owned now languishes in jail. I wonder what the future holds.

S

What do you mean?

The former owner of the DT, "Lord" Black, is now in prison for pinching money from the company which he directed. I do hope that the Barclay twins prove to be more honest.

S

Barclay brothers tell Sark: you didn't vote for us, so we'll take our money elsewhere

At a press conference yesterday , Sark's judge and returning officer, Lieutenant Colonel Reg Guille, was upbeat. "We have a healthy and thriving democracy," he said. But sounding defiant, he added: "We've welcomed people to live among us and accept our way of life. We are a very independent breed. We live and work by our own hand and long may it continue."

Good for them.

But they have paid the price for it:

But joy turned to despair for many, and uncertainty for all, when the Barclay brothers, owners of the Telegraph and the Ritz hotel, reacted to their disappointment at failing to get their chosen candidates elected by announcing they were ceasing their multimillion-pound operation on the island and laying off 140 workers.

What a sad sign of the times when a group of proud independent islanders are bullied by a couple of billionaires who, apparently, have only once set foot on the island.

Two 'high net worth individuals' looking for somewhere to put their money.

Would we like them over here?

Archived