Open Verdict At Menezes Inquest

bluemonday

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jury of 10 were asked 12 specific questions about whether or not a series of events on 22 July 2005 contributed to the 27-year-old's death.

A majority of the jury said that they did not believe officers had shouted "armed police" before opening fire.

They said said they believed Mr Menezes had stood up from his seat before being shot. However they did not believe he had moved towards the first officer to open fire.

In simple terms, they belive the police were lying.

And the open verdict the jury returned shows that.

After all they were told that they would not be permitted to return 'unlawful killing'

This seemed to be the only option that allowed them to show what they felt.

Unsavoury.

What this boils down to is all of the passengers were telling lies and the police were telling the truth.

The good old British justice system eh?

Totally out of order

Government cover up, police cover up, and now a judicial cover up (restricted verdict). Not one copper has been prosecuted for killing anyone in the last 30 odd fatal shootings, and more than this one have been dodgy.

I think the jury made it obvious what they thought.

to be honest the cops should be let away with no charge even if thay were wrong,

thay took a call at the time it was the wrong one, somebody lost there life over it, but what if he had been what thay thought, the cops would be knighted for it,

I try and put myself in the position of the armed police and imagine how i would feel if i had a suspect in sight, remember its great with hindsight knowing now that he obviously wasn't a risk, no matter how well trained you were if you genuinely thought this guy was going to blow himself up taking oneself with you how would you react?

If he was a suicide bomber, 'shouting stop armed police' would be just the the cue he would have needed to blow himself and others.

Police are human after all, not that that is any comfort to the guy who was shot.

I try and put myself in the position of the armed police and imagine how i would feel if i had a suspect in sight, remember its great with hindsight knowing now that he obviously wasn't a risk, no matter how well trained you were if you genuinely thought this guy was going to blow himself up taking oneself with you how would you react?

If he was a suicide bomber, 'shouting stop armed police' would be just the the cue he would have needed to blow himself and others.

Police are human after all, not that that is any comfort to the guy who was shot.

If, if, if - maybe - but it was pretty clear this was a f**k up of the first order if you read the detail.

I agree with what you and gazza are saying but they should just say that and say they totally got it wrong and shot an innocent guy.

I agree with what you and gazza are saying but they should just say that and say they totally got it wrong and shot an innocent guy.

the thing is if thay did do that, then you have ppl wanting there guts for gartters

the thing is if thay did do that, then you have ppl wanting there guts for gartters

But at the end of the day that's exactly what's going to happen anyway.

If, if, if - maybe - but it was pretty clear this was a f**k up of the first order if you read the detail.

Dear me, just how many times do you lot need to be told? You can "what if" just about anything just about forever - proves nothing.

There was never a specific intent to kill Jean Charles de Menezes so murder is not an option. The cops were acting with the best of intentions but importantly within the law so unlawful killing is not an option. Whether they shouted "armed police" or not is completely meaningless as they were going to shoot him anyway as the Israeli experience has shown it's the only way to stop a suicide bomber and save the lives of the innocents.

It's extremely regrettable but as these processes are run by people and as people make mistakes it's not only inevitable but it almost certainly will happen again. Welcome to Planet Earth - I live here, do you?

Archived