Trams And Other Things

bluemonday

And at least one of them seem to like a place called 'Gregneash' wherever the hell that is.

I'd jump at the chance to run the horses properly but don't have a degree in golf course management or Media studies to prove my capability.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an idea that the DTL would love to use.

From next easter change the name of the Isle of Man (yes they love that don't they) to the Isle of Tram. Then for a whole summer you could have a trainspotters wank-fest of dull tram related activity. I can just see them all lining up in their water proof cagoules with their little leather satchells full of stale cheese sandswiches and ginger beer to spend as much time as they can afford in the Isle of Tram masturbating on Victorian transport.

I was also sat in that Council Meeting and the paper has not quoted everything he said.

I have to agree with his thinking on some if not most of it.

So what points did you agree or not agree with?

John, it seems to me that if David Christian told you to jump off Douglas head bollock naked, you would agree with him.

%age, thankyou for the though but I am my own man.

Sometimes DC is correct and sometimes he is not, In this case he was right IMO.

The Trams need a massive shakeup, I agree, they are not run as a proper business.

Jehovah, sadly as I don’t know who you are, but it seems you are fascinated enough with me to delve into my childhood, then please message me and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. (just don't start stalking me, as your fascination with Ivor Biggun wanking worries me on so many levels)

(I think perhaps the phrase reads better as "pullin' the head off it".)

Anyway, it just seems to me that Davey has got you all hanging on to his coat tails, especially the ex-LV of the council. As I said before, he throws you all a buffet at the ratepayers expense and then, like when you feed puppy dogs, he has you in the palm of his hand.

It's a difficult one the horse trams. They are part of our culture and heritage, yet their customers that were part of our heritage are long gone in the main.

Getting rid of the conductors might be seen as a dangerous option, because one accident without a conductor might lead to a successful suing (claiming inadequate supervision etc.) - undermining any savings made.

Perhaps there is a compromise. If they dug up both tracks and laid a single track in the centre of the road, this would make everyone happier i.e. keep the trams, reduce the number of trams and the operating costs, maintain a conductor and cover the associated 'safety' issues, whilst improving traffic flow.

I still back the idea of going to a single track if and when the prom is refurbished.

true enough, 2 per ward instead of 3?

As for longer hours, without owning your own business or being retired it is difficult to balance the need to pay the rent with un-paid time of work.

If more people where willing to stand, then you would not have so many long term Councilors that just get in term after term with no elections.

From next easter change the name of the Isle of Man (yes they love that don't they) to the Isle of Tram. Then for a whole summer you could have a trainspotters wank-fest of dull tram related activity. I can just see them all lining up in their water proof cagoules with their little leather satchells full of stale cheese sandswiches and ginger beer to spend as much time as they can afford in the Isle of Tram masturbating on Victorian transport.

And what is wrong with such people? Jack From Laxey (RIP) and Jackie would be most upset.

Regarding the trams, I agree with those that suggest they should be livened up. The conductors do buggar all other than take the fares and gaze into space.

Douglas Promenade has some wonderful history and the Tram ride should enlighten about Douglas Promenade and the Isle of Man.

The Villiers Site .... the Sir William Hillary memorial . . point out where he lived .... why the Tower of Refuge was built, not a tourist attraction at all but a very important functional life saver at the time, when Douglas was a very busy fishing port....

The methodist Church....a glimpse of the original Sea Wall (behing W.H Smith)... point out the cliffs and the original line of the beach... why is Senna Slip so called....

The names of the various hotels .... IRIS and the Victorian flushing Sewer system ....the Museum...the Sefton and Norman Wisdom...The Villa Marina.... The Central Hotel...George Formby's Hotel.....The Castle Mona....

There are loads of interesting stories attached to all the hotels and the list is absolutely endless. I could write a book on that Promenade.

The track should have been put on the walk way during IRIS and made single track with a passing place. If the track remains on the road then a passing place could be at the Villa Marina alongside the taxi stand. Or just leave it as single track the whole route.

I don't believe that Douglas Corporation has the imagination or the will to improve the horse trams (Perhaps Davey would prefer the option to sell the tram shed to a favourite house builder and be done with it, I don't know). Give it to the Government to sort out. They have oodles of our money and I would rather they waste it than the Corpy. But in saying that there is no reason why it could not pay its way for the Island.

I would add, that typically they might try and put a guide on the trams but they will fuck it up.

And what is wrong with such people? Jack From Laxey (RIP) and Jackie would be most upset.

Regarding the trams, I agree with those that suggest they should be livened up. The conductors do buggar all other than take the fares and gaze into space.

Douglas Promenade has some wonderful history and the Tram ride should enlighten about Douglas Promenade and the Isle of Man.

The Villiers Site .... the Sir William Hillary memorial . . point out where he lived .... why the Tower of Refuge was built, not a tourist attraction at all but a very important functional life saver at the time, when Douglas was a very busy fishing port....

The methodist Church....a glimpse of the original Sea Wall (behing W.H Smith)... point out the cliffs and the original line of the beach... why is Senna Slip so called....

The names of the various hotels .... IRIS and the Victorian flushing Sewer system ....the Museum...the Sefton and Norman Wisdom...The Villa Marina.... The Central Hotel...George Formby's Hotel.....The Castle Mona....

There are loads of interesting stories attached to all the hotels and the list is absolutely endless. I could write a book on that Promenade.

The track should have been put on the walk way during IRIS and made single track with a passing place. If the track remains on the road then a passing place could be at the Villa Marina alongside the taxi stand. Or just leave it as single track the whole route.

I don't believe that Douglas Corporation has the imagination or the will to improve the horse trams (Perhaps Davey would prefer the option to sell the tram shed to a favourite house builder and be done with it, I don't know). Give it to the Government to sort out. They have oodles of our money and I would rather they waste it than the Corpy. But in saying that there is no reason why it could not pay its way for the Island.

I would add, that typically they might try and put a guide on the trams but they will fuck it up.

Researching the features of Douglas promenade and writing a script for the tram drivers/ attendants would be a nice summer project for a student.

In Australia and New Zealand they call coach drivers 'coach captains' because they are trained to do much more that just drive tourists round.

They tell you all the local history etc. Maybe we could have horse tram captains.

Archived