Brass Band Shakedown

MilitantDogOwner

It seems like laying into MilitantDogOwner has become a bit of a bandwagon. Granted, he did out-Scrooge Scrooge with his original post BUT I have to say that I agree with him on one point. I don't agree with ANY unsolicited knocking on doors, be it Betterware salesmen, Mormons or fundraisers. If I'm out in the street with my wallet in my pocket, then fair enough, come rattle a tin at me and I'll give you some money. But in the privacy of my home? No. What right do you have? Goodwill has to occur naturally, not be forced out of people.

I used to work for a telephone fundraising company and left pretty quickly because I couldn't hack the assumption that it was ok to disturb people in their homes, ignorant of their circumstances, and effectively guilt them into parting with their money. People must always have a choice as to whom - and when - they give their cash.

That's all I'm saying - so shoot me!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Allow me to take you back (briefly) to the 1930s. At that time, the St Matthews' band was the leading one in the town (there were several - including the town band). My dad, who played an E-flat bass joined his fellow band members every Christmas Eve to play carols in the streets of Douglas.

For the most part, they played outside the pubs along the quayside to raise funds.

They always did well from both the pub customers and nearby householders - often doing 'requests' for a financial consideration and, at most pubs, a few of the members would nip inside for a swift drink 'on the house' - playing instruments being thirsty work.

The result was that, by closing time, the size of the band had shrunk to little more than 5 or 6 players, quite a number having been unceremonially deposited on their own doorsteps to 'sleep it off.'

Even after closing time, the 'survivors' continued to play outside households until after midnight. They were always welcomed - even by those who had an early start the following morning.

Obviously, it was a different age. There were fewer alternative forms of entertainment and probably fewer grumpy bastards such as MilitantDogOwner.

From a personal point of view, carol-playing brass bands are one of the few things I still like about Christmas - possibly because it reminds me of the many stories my dad told me about those much harsher times - but also because I actually like the sound they produce (Well... once a year, anyway!)

So I would suggest that MildewedDogOwner either invests in a set of earplugs, sorts out his double-glazing or spends future Yuletides in a place far away where there are no such celebrations.

Look you appear to be missing the point. My wife works night shifts. All I ask for is some consideration. I'm sure the band members wouldn't like it if I started setting Flashbangs and Thunderflashes outside their house at 5am before they have to go to work.

I'm sure more than one house hold with small children would have been disrupted by these inconsiderate beggars.

This is the worst thing that can happen. Too many times have I heard a disturbance outside when it's dark and the whole house was asleep. Times when the noise is not contained to a brief few seconds but carries on consistently and sometimes for hours and possible even into the daylight hours.

I don't know what it takes for people to understand that there are people that work during the night and sleep during the day. There are people that work during the day and sleep during the night. There are even people that work during the day and go out at night and get severely hammered. These poor people generally have a matching severe hangover the following morning.

So it should really go without saying but people that own dogs can be some of the most obnoxious, rude and inconsiderate people in the world. Rather than just letting the dog out in the back garden first thing in the morning where it will bark and howl in the cold and dark. Try not going back to bed once you've let it out, take the sodding thing out for a walk. (Preferably on the really dangerous bits of marine drive)

I'm sure more than one house hold with small children would have been disrupted by these inconsiderate beggars.

This is the worst thing that can happen. Too many times have I heard a disturbance outside when it's dark and the whole house was asleep. Times when the noise is not contained to a brief few seconds but carries on consistently and sometimes for hours and possible even into the daylight hours.

I don't know what it takes for people to understand that there are people that work during the night and sleep during the day. There are people that work during the day and sleep during the night. There are even people that work during the day and go out at night and get severely hammered. These poor people generally have a matching severe hangover the following morning.

So it should really go without saying but people that own dogs ride motor bikes can be some of the most obnoxious, rude and inconsiderate people in the world. Rather than just letting the dog out in the back garden first thing in the morning where it will bark and howl in the cold and dark. Try not going back to bed once you've let it out, take the sodding thing out for a walk. (Preferably on the really dangerous bits of marine drive)

Maybe if you spoke to your neighbour like an adult and discussed the problem maybe you would be able to find a compromise. And going even further to suggest that they walk their dogs somewhere dangerous says alot about your character.

There's a boat and I'm sure that you can find a suitable Muslim country in which to live. You'll only have the broadcast prayers at 5 a.m. to live with.

Is, by any chance, your wife called Audrey and does she sell pins? (Derek & Clive.)

Much as I do like the sound of a brass band playing, especially at Christmas time, as it does add to the festive mood, I think that I'd be a bit peeved as well if they came ringing my doorbell at 8pm. I have small children who are usually in bed for about 7:30pm, one of whom is a very light sleeper. If they rang on my door and woke the little one up, it would annoy me. It's not being ba-humbug for the festivities, but maybe earlier in the evening would be more appropriate - most people are home by 6pm.

At the end of the day if the child was woken at eight it's only half an hour after bed time and it's only one night. There was a time when kids used to fit in around the adult world, now it seems even something as innocent as a brass band playing carols has to fit in has to fit in around them.

At the end of the day if the child was woken at eight it's only half an hour after bed time and it's only one night. There was a time when kids used to fit in around the adult world, now it seems even something as innocent as a brass band playing carols has to fit in has to fit in around them.

Oh come on, your honestly telling me if it was your kids that you were trying to get off to sleep and they got woken by an inconsoderate bunch of do-gooders you wouldnt be in the slightest bit annoyed???

Yes, I can see you still stuck in Victorian times, but kids are not only to be seen and not heard. I would of thought the Xmas period was mainly for the kiddies, not for adults or are you more of a bah humbug than me?

Yes, I can see you still stuck in Victorian times, but kids are not only to be seen and not heard. I would of thought the Xmas period was mainly for the kiddies, not for adults or are you more of a bah humbug than me?

That's not what I said, at all.

I'm saying that if a brass band turns up on your doorstep at 5 minutes past bedtime, rather than screaming about how it is messing the child's precious schedule, you go with the flow and let kid enjoy the spirit of Xmas.

Basically I think it is better for the child to be a junior, but important, part of relaxed and spontaneous family, than the centre of an uptight and neurotic one?

(Not that Minxie is even remotely neurotic or uptight).

Good point Miss Take. Treasured memories of being woken up by my parents just a couple of times to watch something special, it was made all the more special because they had broken the rule of 'in bed, stay in bed' because they had wanted us to share in the event!

Archived