Bloated Government

Tempus Fugit

A snippet in the paper reporting a question in Tynwlad by David Cannan revealed that there were 600 more government employees in the 18 month period from April 2007, now totalling 11,571

From the 2006 census it shows a working population of 40,783, so something like 28% of the workforce employed people of this land, (allowing for some error by figures from different periods) and heaven knows how many are on gold plated pensions as well

In these financially strapped times is it time to call a halt to this ? - I thought there was something recently about cutting down on numbers of government workers employees but it just does not seem to be happening

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A snippet in the paper reporting a question in Tynwlad by David Cannan revealed that there were 600 more government employees in the 18 month period from April 2007, now totalling 11,571

From the 2006 census it shows a working population of 40,783, so something like 28% of the workforce employed people of this land, (allowing for some error by figures from different periods) and heaven knows how many are on gold plated pensions as well

In these financially strapped times is it time to call a halt to this ? - I thought there was something recently about cutting down on numbers of government workers employees but it just does not seem to be happening

I heard a rumour that the population of the IOM was arounf the 70k-80k mark. If that were true then around 50% of the population are either under census age, of retirement age or unemployed.

Can anyone confirm, or at least make a better guess at the population at the moment?

Putting a large part of the islands workforce on the dole isn't going to help the economy much is it?

Putting a large part of the islands workforce on the dole isn't going to help the economy much is it?

I suppose having 600 people drawing government money in non-jobs is better than 600 people drawing unemployment benefits. Certainly makes the unemployment stats look a little rosier.

Can anyone confirm, or at least make a better guess at the population at the moment?

No need to guess the figures are all here in the 2006 Census.

2006 - 23/24 April - population 80,058

I think it should be a tad more because I never got a census form and neither did Bob down the pub.

How do you figure out they are employees in non jobs rather than workers doing something useful?

Well can you think of 600 new job roles that need filling that weren't filled 18 months ago. Major they have taken on 600 new dog wardens to hand out the £1000 fines for dog fouling. I also forgot the Department of Tourism are very busy at the moment.

No need to guess the figures are all here in the 2006 Census.

2006 - 23/24 April - population 80,058

I think it should be a tad more because I never got a census form and neither did Bob down the pub.

So my guesstimate of around 50% of the IOM is of working age and in current employment. Sounds a bit low doesnt it?

MilitantDogOwner,

when the band came round and you were lying in bed with your wife, what was she wearing?

Now that you ask she was wearing a really nice none of your business.

How about you stick to the thread, I know its hard to concentrate with all those long words but I know if you try you'll get there in the end.

I worked for UK Local Government in the 1980s.

The now in/famous PA Consultants came in and (in hind-sight) not unreasonably decimated the place. Well actually it was far more the decimation.

For example, they early retired 3 blokes and put all their duties onto me :o .

I got £1000pa more.

Anyway, the Isle of Man Government needs a severe ass-kicking overhaul . . . . .

Archived