Bloated Government

Tempus Fugit

How about you stick to the thread, I know its hard to concentrate with all those long words but I know if you try you'll get there in the end.

Hmm of course.

What I'd really like to know is how many of these lazy 600 something government type peoples work night shifts and do they get paid any extra for the inconvenience of bloody big brass bands coming round to their houses at 8pm when they're trying to get some sleep before having to do a long night shift huh?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Census Night 2006 the resident population stood at 80,058. This represents an increase of 4.9 % on the 76,315 recorded

in the 2001 census.

The economically active population increased to 41,793 in 2006, up from 39,685 in 2001. The number in employment rose to

40,783, leaving the number unemployed at 1,010.

Manx born residents account for 47.6 % of the resident population compared with 48.0% in 2001. 6.1% of residents were born

outside the British Isles/Eire.

So from a population of 80k(ish) half of which are only manx born, statistically on half the working, adult poulation of the IOM are in fact Manx.

I wonder how many of the 11.5k employees of the Government are Manx?

How about you stick to the thread, I know its hard to concentrate with all those long words but I know if you try you'll get there in the end.

Hmm of course.

What I'd really like to know is how many of these lazy 600 something government type peoples work night shifts and do they get paid any extra for the inconvenience of bloody big brass bands coming round to their houses at 8pm when they're trying to get some sleep before having to do a long night shift huh?

No, I imagine they paid extra for working night shift, not for any inconvieniance that make occour before their working hours.

Putting a large part of the islands workforce on the dole isn't going to help the economy much is it?

firstly, if a third of the government workers are useless, there not contributing to the economy at all. they are bleeding it. they might pay 10% in taxes back into the coffers, but when their entire wage bill came FROM our taxes in the first place....etc. dole is far cheaper than their salaries

secondly,try explaining to a person who loses their job through no fault of their own why a government worker can never lose theirs. or the fat pension/

thirdly, putting my taxes up to pay for a bloated cc will just p1ss me off

fourthly, 12,000 civil servants for a town this size is ridiculous when half the work is given to outside companies

firstly, if a third of the government workers are useless, there not contributing to the economy at all. they are bleeding it. they might pay 10% in taxes back into the coffers, but when their entire wage bill came FROM our taxes in the first place....etc. dole is far cheaper than their salaries

Where do you think they spend the rest of their salaries?

I agree with the rest of what you say, we shouldn't support a bloated civil service, I'm just saying that now might not be the best timing for a cull.

I agree with the rest of what you say, we shouldn't support a bloated civil service, I'm just saying that now might not be the best timing for a cull.

How about instead of a cull, how about a retasking. In the Forces if a unit is ineffective or below strength it is broken up, personnel and materials being redistributed to suit. So lets get all the wasters and non-jobs out picking up litter, working in youth programs and helping the eldery and infirm.

if only. the other 90% goes to amazon, ocean finance and polish plumbers (who send it to warsaw). i.e. off island

of course its easy to suggest a cull when we know it wont happen. but i feel sorry for the ex-woolies worker who has to stand on one side of the glass at the dole office looking in at the "unsackables"

if no one is busy on friday we could have a revolution?

How about instead of a cull, how about a retasking. In the Forces if a unit is ineffective or below strength it is broken up, personnel and materials being redistributed to suit. So lets get all the wasters and non-jobs out picking up litter, working in youth programs and helping the eldery and infirm.

Heh, and see hundreds of employee's suing vs their contract of employment?

Heh, and see hundreds of employee's suing vs their contract of employment?

Was just a suggestion. I had no idea that the IOM Government was so hard core. Job for life. Uber pension. Maybe a carrer change for me I think.

firstly, if a third of the government workers are useless, there not contributing to the economy at all.

How do you figure that out? It seems a pretty big assumption to make.

your clearly not manx :)

we all know or are related to (many) people in the government (impossible not to). and we hear them talk. they talk about flexi time and things not being their job and health and safety and time off for stress and pay rises. i work in retail - high stress (especially at xmas). if I suggested I needed time off for stress i'd have my balls cut off.

and for every dhss worker whose had a hellish day at the FIS counter theres two pencil pushers who did nothing (coz there was nothing to do)

think about it. nearly 12,000 employees + subcontractors + temps. and the government doesn't run the utilities or banks. how much work can there possibly be?

the government doesn't run the utilities

They run the MEA and the Water Authority. As well as the Post Office.

sorry, your right. i was just thinking of MT and Douglas Gas.

still, that has to be the biggest civil servant:private worker ratio in any non-communist country :) i'm sure I read somewhere that cuba also has a fabulous health service. no food of course

Archived