Bloated Government

Tempus Fugit

and because there appears to be feeling of (not sure what to call it) anti-intellectualism running through your posts.

Jesus Christ just because I don't agree with your posts I'm now accused of being being anti-intellectualist. You really have a MONUMENTALLY high opinion of yourself and your place in the intellectual food chain. Funny then that most posts agreed with what I said rather than what you said. I really cannot understand where you get that CATASTROPHICALLY high opinion of your own intellectual value from.

Oh dear, if you get that just because you disagree with that post then I must be regarded as a total window licker as I usualy disagree with LDV being allowed to breath never mind post

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and because there appears to be feeling of (not sure what to call it) anti-intellectualism running through your posts.

Jesus Christ just because I don't agree with your posts I'm now accused of being being anti-intellectualist. You really have a MONUMENTALLY high opinion of yourself and your place in the intellectual food chain. Funny then that most posts agreed with what I said rather than what you said. I really cannot understand where you get that CATASTROPHICALLY high opinion of your own intellectual value from.

Oh dear, if you get that just because you disagree with that post then I must be regarded as a total window licker as I usualy disagree with LDV being allowed to breath never mind post

I doubt he'd even speak to you - we're lucky he posts here at all. His views on anarchism are so in demand he could post them anywhere but he chooses some colloquial IOM website just so that he feels he is educating us hump-backed sheep shagging locals with his vast intellect.

I doubt he'd even speak to you - we're lucky he posts here at all. His views on anarchism are so in demand he could post them anywhere but he chooses some colloquial IOM website just so that he feels he is educating us hump-backed sheep shagging locals with his vast intellect.

Well, he is actually Manx, so it's just possible that that's why he posts here.

He's also unfailingly polite, which is not a characteristic of everybody on this forum.

S

Well, he is actually Manx, so it's just possible that that's why he posts here.

He's also unfailingly polite, which is not a characteristic of everybody on this forum.

S

And younger people should have difficult, challenging and sometimes just wrong points of view. It's the bright people who have extreme points of view at 20 - and they often work them through and end up being great. I'd much rather deal with people who have been through this sort of thinking - as opposed to suburban conformists.

The current British Foreign Sec comes from a Marxist background and many of the community leaders and much of the leadership west of here were once on-the-run.

Personally I mostly never trusted or liked people who got mortgages and semi-cotton-shirt-jobs at 18 - and I still mostly don't. With exceptions.

And by the time you are 40 you know that lots of economic conservatives and many liberals basically consider themselves anarchists but accept the need for order as a contradiction - and you'll know every schism of social democratic Marxism.

*God doesn't that sound patronizing ? Sorry LDV.

Government pensions may well be the eventual demise of "bloated Government"

In the US the motor industry is going down the pan and it is pensions which are largely responsible. For every Ford car sold in the states around $2000 of the sale price goes to pay for pension deals which were agreed back in the 1970s

Here on the rock, the only way to meet the future pension requirements is for the economy to continue to grow and the working population to grow with it. Should our economy stagnate or contract as now looks likely there will simply be insufficient workers to support the growing financial burden.

If the government were to raise taxes to make good the shortfall this would only discourage people from living and working here and the Island would be left an impoverished backwater

With low economic growth I wonder how long it would be before the pension requirement exceeds the contributions paid into it ?

Government pensions may well be the eventual demise of "bloated Government"

In the US the motor industry is going down the pan and it is pensions which are largely responsible. For every Ford car sold in the states around $2000 of the sale price goes to pay for pension deals which were agreed back in the 1970s

Here on the rock, the only way to meet the future pension requirements is for the economy to continue to grow and the working population to grow with it. Should our economy stagnate or contract as now looks likely there will simply be insufficient workers to support the growing financial burden.

If the government were to raise taxes to make good the shortfall this would only discourage people from living and working here and the Island would be left an impoverished backwater

With low economic growth I wonder how long it would be before the pension requirement exceeds the contributions paid into it ?

Unfortunately, both government and private final salary pension schemes have never been properly funded - they have all relied on future workers to pay the pensions of those who have retired.

The best thing, and it may well be forced upon the UK soon, would be to convert all such schemes into individual pots, so that pensioners get out only what they, personally, have put in.

It would mean people having to contribute more, and perhaps also working longer. Given that people live much longer nowadays, it would be no bad thing for retirement to be deferred. Not only would people then make more contributions, but they would also make fewer withdrawals.

S

Unfortunately, both government and private final salary pension schemes have never been properly funded - they have all relied on future workers to pay the pensions of those who have retired.

The best thing, and it may well be forced upon the UK soon, would be to convert all such schemes into individual pots, so that pensioners get out only what they, personally, have put in.

It would mean people having to contribute more, and perhaps also working longer. Given that people live much longer nowadays, it would be no bad thing for retirement to be deferred. Not only would people then make more contributions, but they would also make fewer withdrawals.

S

Having dealt with several useless, incompetent and arrogant civil servants, I would love to be the one to tell them that all they will get out as a pension is what they paid in

Hah!

MHK's fears for government services

from today's Manx Radio Website

I'm starting to sound like a cracked record I know, but for a population of 80,000 it would shock your socks off to know how many Government Funded salaries are over £100,000pa.

. . . . two fucken* £grand a week.

Well, we can afford that tha noo, but they'll all be expecting their fat, fat, fat pensions.

The Isle of Man is fucked I tell thee

*Excuse me but I seem to be entering another Tourettes episode.

in private moments (i.e. among friends) you'll find that many CS are more than aware of their fabulous position. I spoke to a friend recently (a teacher) who laughed and joked about his financial stability, pension and current 300 weeks of holiday per year

I just commented on him being a "jammy tw@t". i know his past (divorce, illness etc) and i really feel happy for him. but if i had just lost my job and he'd joked about his wonderful position, then i doubt we'd still be friends.

but generally speaking, its this imbalance that will eventually cause an "us and them" situation in the recession hit manx populace.

i think new CSs are still rooted in reality, but long term CSs seem to think they have a god given right to the pension, pay rises etc.

p.s. somone posted earlier about CSs clocking in and then having their breakfasts. it really does happen (including cooked breakfasts)

The impression that I am getting from scary level of insecurity in the private sector, pensions and holidays isn't that those on the civil service have got it too good but more that we in the private sector are just in a worse situation.

Though if work is not getting done or rather not enough is done as it should be then I can understand why people are miffed.

I know it isn't a big issue, but I don't see anything wrong with the breakfast thing, I could only see it as being wrong if the total work for that day is not being done. The public sector need not have to mimic the strict working regime of the private sector.

When I think of how much time there is commuting to work which you are not technically paid for then it seems quite fair to take back that time. I don't work in a stressful, fast-paced position at present but I know they are people who really don't have the time to get a good breakfast in the morning and spend ages travelling to work.

The impression that I am getting from scary level of insecurity in the private sector, pensions and holidays isn't that those on the civil service have got it too good but more that we in the private sector are just in a worse situation.

Though if work is not getting done or rather not enough is done as it should be then I can understand why people are miffed.

I know it isn't a big issue, but I don't see anything wrong with the breakfast thing, I could only see it as being wrong if the total work for that day is not being done. The public sector need not have to mimic the strict working regime of the private sector.

When I think of how much time there is commuting to work which you are not technically paid for then it seems quite fair to take back that time. I don't work in a stressful, fast-paced position at present but I know they are people who really don't have the time to get a good breakfast in the morning and spend ages travelling to work.

It's not just the 'breakfast thing' though is it... what about the volume of shite emails that flow from pretty much every Gov dept. We've been logging the repeat offenders (on advice from an MHK) of which there are many.

Are there no Internet / Email policies in place? No content filtering? How much does cost the tax payer to store all this shite?

It's not just the 'breakfast thing' though is it... what about the volume of shite emails that flow from pretty much every Gov dept. We've been logging the repeat offenders (on advice from an MHK) of which there are many.

Are there no Internet / Email policies in place? No content filtering? How much does cost the tax payer to store all this shite?

But that is what I mean though, if the daily workload is not getting done then it is an issue, but if the e-mail don't get in the way then is it still a problem?

I know they have content filtering in the UK councils and governments offices. Surpirsed it is not so on the Island.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not technically paid for? there's no technically about it. no-one is paid to commute. get a grip. alternatively get up earlier and have breakfast. at the end of the day, the CS will have slept well coz they werent worrying about their mortgage payments

dont you understand....everything the CS "takes" that isnt earned through hard work comes from the rest of the populace. this is the basis of this thread.

if i work in a merchant bank and steal a pen, i'm stealing it from a billionaire (who would sack and kill me if he caught me). but CSs arent paid by "the man", theyre paid by us tax payers - thats the BIG difference

i refuse to pay tax to pay that hour for a CS who "didnt have time for breakfast"

on saying that, i think the above post was made to provoke a response. goal!

Archived