Dinosaurs Of Tynwald (and Manx National Heritage)

%age

I would also have liked to see a scheme where all this information was available over the internet. I have done quite a bit of family research both from my local side of the family and the ones across and to be able to order a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate online is brilliant.

Once the building is renovated, you then have to equip it and staff it. This money would be better spent on making all this related family history information available over the net. It would then truly be available worldwide and would be excellent advertising for the Island.

Most people who are researching their family tree have no problem with contributing something towards the cost. I subscribe to the well known ancestory website across and in order to complete my project it has been worth every penny. A similar subscription service could be offered or it could be a free service, with maybe just charging for items that have to be retrieved from archives and printed/sent by post. Most public libraries now have internet access so it would be available to everyone.

As has been said previously, a wonderful opportunity missed. From what I remember of the old Public Analyist's building it is in a side street with very little parking. Again an example that everything has to be in Douglas. If they want to do this project what about somewhere like the old Marine Biological Station n Port Erin - a fine building with plenty of parking space. It could almost become the manx equivalent of the Public Records Office at Kew!

For once, as far as I am concerned, Juan Watterson MHK spoke a lot of sense yesterday. I was amazed that he received so little support.

It seems to me that the establishments of the House of Keys and the Legislative Council (and in this case Manx National Heritage also) want to keep the young whipper snapper down.

Juan Watterson's thrust was not only the potential savings on building costs (plus income from subscriptions) but the easy worldwide accessibility of the data. He was told that putting the information onto the Internet would deny 40% of our population access to the information because they don't have the internet. How ridiculous, they still have to hike down to the museum now, whereas the option to use a nearby internet connection will now be denied.

Personally I believe Tynwald and MNH (in their misguided perceptions) do not want to lose control of the information and it was hinted yesterday that to keep the information strictly on Island will attract people onto the Island to read it. This, to me, is bollocks. Allow the world to become interested in the Island and their ancestors through the huge medium of the internet and they will come to see our land in far bigger numbers.

Anyway,

Young fella nil

Tynwald Old Guard 1

It is a great idea but anybody got a ball park figure of the cost to have such an archive running live on line, easily accessable, referenced and downloadable. But more than that what would be costs and timescale to digitise and reference

such a library of material.

From what I have seen these have not been even outlined and if that is the case then whilst I agree it is a good idea I would have voted against purely for this reason.

We love to have a go at MHK's but we have no idea why they voted against the idea. Maybe it was simply due to lack of information including costs. I have no idea as I am only going on what has been posted here.

If what is posted is factually correct then I would have put more blame on "The young lad from Rushen, Juan Watterson MHK" as he probably would have been better proposing that the costs and practicalities of making availably be investigated rather than proposing that these records be made available over the internet without such details avaialable. After all if it turned out the costs were £10m a year and the MHKs committed to this having not been aware of the figures we would have been the first to complain

For once, as far as I am concerned, Juan Watterson MHK spoke a lot of sense yesterday. I was amazed that he received so little support.

It seems to me that the establishments of the House of Keys and the Legislative Council (and in this case Manx National Heritage also) want to keep the young whipper snapper down.

Juan Watterson's thrust was not only the potential savings on building costs (plus income from subscriptions) but the easy worldwide accessibility of the data. He was told that putting the information onto the Internet would deny 40% of our population access to the information because they don't have the internet. How ridiculous, they still have to hike down to the museum now, whereas the option to use a nearby internet connection will now be denied.

Personally I believe Tynwald and MNH (in their misguided perceptions) do not want to lose control of the information and it was hinted yesterday that to keep the information strictly on Island will attract people onto the Island to read it. This, to me, is bollocks. Allow the world to become interested in the Island and their ancestors through the huge medium of the internet and they will come to see our land in far bigger numbers.

Anyway,

Young fella nil

Tynwald Old Guard 1

Is that 40% of the population, or 40% of households? Personally I think it's mad not to make it all available over the Internet, especially this day and age. I for one wouldn't think twice about having a look at old records/news articles/photos over the net on my lunch break. But to go and physically take a look at them on a computer at the Museum (or where ever it is) wouldn't interest me in the slightest. I'm pretty sure this would be the case for the majority of other folk too.

It is a great idea but anybody got a ball park figure of the cost to have such an archive running live on line, easily accessable, referenced and downloadable. But more than that what would be costs and timescale to digitise and reference

such a library of material.

. . . .

We love to have a go at MHK's but we have no idea why they voted against the idea. Maybe it was simply due to lack of information including costs. I have no idea as I am only going on what has been posted here.

The archive is to be digitised anyway. Accessible only from within the museum though. :(

MHKs (and MLCs) spoke for or against the motion which is where I picked up my information for my post. It will all be transcribed and readable on that there new fangled internet thingy within a few days anyway. . .

Although sometimes if they haven't got a clue about the subject what they are about to vote on, then they usually remain quiet and stick their hand up (sorry, I mean press the new fangled voting button) depending on what their mate or the CM/CoMin is voting for.

Archived