Action Needed Now To Reassure Tt Visitors!

Max Power

With the recession and it's effects on the global motorsport arena beginning to bite, is it time that we were taking steps to reassure TT, MGP and rally competitors, teams and visitors that our events will go ahead as planned!

Also would it be prudent to negotiate with the Steam Packet, Airlines, hoteliers, caterers, landlords etc to offer a guarantee that they will not perform the usual rip off stunts this year and provide a value for money event for once?!

Better to make a little less this coming year and guarantee the future of tourism and the events than to try and bleed a handful of people dry for this once and last time!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not entirely sure what can be done to re-assure people....its bad enough turning on the news each morning just to make sure another Bank hasn't gone to the wall!

The main motorsport manufacturers are clearly going to be looking at the risk/reward to running any major teams this year...whether that be in F1, Rallying or the TT.

Hopefully there is some horrible case of financial myopia here from the hoteliers, leisure trade, carriers etc who will try to fleece every last penny as they too start to feel the pinch....sadly though I fear that will be the case.

I think between this and the wonderful quango that is the TTFMAG we are bound to see a lot less events in 2009....I hope I am wrong!

Also would it be prudent to negotiate with the Steam Packet, Airlines, hoteliers, caterers, landlords etc to offer a guarantee that they will not perform the usual rip off stunts this year and provide a value for money event for once?!

Too late!!!!

IOMSPC apparently already up to speed on charging for the TT season - From 'IOM Today' Your Shout:

I've just priced a trip for two foot passesngers to Liverpool to go out on the 30th May and back on the 7th June 2009. I was quoted £174 return. Yes and you read correctly this was for foot passengers, no car involved at all. .... Of course when the dates of my travel are looked at again it is TT time. Enough said I think.

MIE GUILLEY

I just checked the Racket website - with a car +2 on those dates be prepared to hand over £407 (incl. fuel surcharge) plus booking fee.

I just checked the Racket website - with a car +2 on those dates be prepared to hand over £407 (incl. fuel surcharge) plus booking fee.

Wow, that's cheaper than last year to get off the Island and back. Bargain.

Wow, that's cheaper than last year to get off the Island and back. Bargain.

Mind you they haven't released their 2009 Brochure yet. They are probably doing some last minute work on even better value profit packages hmmm...expect to see it about April 2010 just in time for late bookings for the 2009 tourist season.

I think that what we tend to forget is that the Steam Packet and other carriers are given certain priviliges in return for providing a service to what is essentially a remote island community. The fact is that they abuse those priviliges and hide behind a veil of secrecy where their charges are concerned. They then lead our moot headed politicians a merry dance when they try to ensure that their charges are justified, until they give up trying!

And the class action would be citing which law exactly? The law that says that you're not allowed to set your own charges for passengers and freight?

Look I'm not a lawyer, I'm just making a suggestion as to how the horrendous prices the SPC could be lowered for the good of everyone, not just moaning ineffectually about the SPC which seems par the course here in the IOM. THE SPC IS BENDING YOU OVER AND YOUR DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Look I'm not a lawyer, I'm just making a suggestion as to how the horrendous prices the SPC could be lowered for the good of everyone, not just moaning ineffectually about the SPC which seems par the course here in the IOM. THE SPC IS BENDING YOU OVER AND YOUR DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

You don't have to be a lawyer to make a sensible suggestion. It would help if you actually had some common sense but it certainly doesn't require a law degree. You're quite happy to moan about other issues on here so what makes the moans from anyone else any more ineffectual than yours?

You don't have to be a lawyer to make a sensible suggestion. It would help if you actually had some common sense but it certainly doesn't require a law degree. You're quite happy to moan about other issues on here so what makes the moans from anyone else any more ineffectual than yours?

So sitting there and congratulating yourself on being such a smart arse is getting something done. Surely the Government can see that the SPC is using the residents of the IOM as one big cash cow. And they are doing just as much as Stavlos. Cock all.

Well done the IOM deserves to be dent over for letting the SPC get so powerful and unttouchable. Wheres the common sense in that?

Archived