Action Needed Now To Reassure Tt Visitors!

Max Power

IOMSPC apparently already up to speed on charging for the TT season - From 'IOM Today' Your Shout:
I've just priced a trip for two foot passesngers to Liverpool to go out on the 30th May and back on the 7th June 2009. I was quoted £174 return. Yes and you read correctly this was for foot passengers, no car involved at all. .... Of course when the dates of my travel are looked at again it is TT time. Enough said I think.

MIE GUILLEY

I just checked the Racket website - with a car +2 on those dates be prepared to hand over £407 (incl. fuel surcharge) plus booking fee.

Well, I've just checked the Brittany Ferries website for the Poole-Cherbourg crossing, which is of a similar length to an IOM crossing from England, and for the same period 2 foot passengers would be £138, so bearing in mind that it is TT, £174 isn't that far off.

A car and 2 passengers would be £247, so there is a large difference there, presumably some sort of discouragement to bring a car over at that time, to fit more vans and bikes in? Don't know what the reasoning would be for the SPC price there.

I always find it annoying when people (not necessarily aimed at anyone in this thread) price an SPC crossing price against a Dover-Calais price, when that crossing is so much shorter and a lot more popular (economies of scale, etc).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IOMSPC apparently already up to speed on charging for the TT season - From 'IOM Today' Your Shout:
I've just priced a trip for two foot passesngers to Liverpool to go out on the 30th May and back on the 7th June 2009. I was quoted £174 return. Yes and you read correctly this was for foot passengers, no car involved at all. .... Of course when the dates of my travel are looked at again it is TT time. Enough said I think.

MIE GUILLEY

I just checked the Racket website - with a car +2 on those dates be prepared to hand over £407 (incl. fuel surcharge) plus booking fee.

Well, I've just checked the Brittany Ferries website for the Poole-Cherbourg crossing, which is of a similar length to an IOM crossing from England, and for the same period 2 foot passengers would be £138, so bearing in mind that it is TT, £174 isn't that far off.

A car and 2 passengers would be £247, so there is a large difference there, presumably some sort of discouragement to bring a car over at that time, to fit more vans and bikes in? Don't know what the reasoning would be for the SPC price there.

I always find it annoying when people (not necessarily aimed at anyone in this thread) price an SPC crossing price against a Dover-Calais price, when that crossing is so much shorter and a lot more popular (economies of scale, etc).

A £40 difference may not seem alot on a single trip but if you have to make the same trip 10 times a year thats £400 a year.

So sitting there and congratulating yourself on being such a smart arse is getting something done. Surely the Government can see that the SPC is using the residents of the IOM as one big cash cow. And they are doing just as much as Stavlos. Cock all.

Well done the IOM deserves to be dent over for letting the SPC get so powerful and unttouchable. Wheres the common sense in that?

I'm not quite sure why you believe that I should be doing something about the prices currently being charged by the Steam Packet. I honestly couldn't give a toss how much they're charging as it has very little impact on me. However, your little crusade and comments about the island deserving to be (presumably) 'bent' over will have very little effect or consequences whilst being posted on a local internet forum. Discuss issues by all means but please realise that this is not the the launch pad for any significant action or armchair protest. If you want action, you'll have to get off your arse and go and do something about it. If you want to moan about it or discuss it then this is as good a place as any.

MIE GUILLEY

A £40 difference may not seem alot on a single trip but if you have to make the same trip 10 times a year thats £400 a year.

No shit! Who'd have thought. 10 x £40.00 = £400.00 Crikey, Whatever next?

MIE GUILLEY

I can understand this to a point, but neither Poole nor Cherbourg are totally dependant on any ferry company for their very survival. The ferries that do operate are also far superior to ours, probably carrying more passengers more often, I realise this. But the operating costs of each individual sailing must be significantly less for the Steam packet I would have thought?

Stavros, have you thought about nipping out to the MSPCA in Foxdale and getting yourself a militant dog?I just thought owning one of them might be handy as the very ownership of a militant dog appears to enhance the sophistication of ones posts.

Oh wait!...aren't posts for peeing on?

MIE GUILLEY

No shit! Who'd have thought. 10 x £40.00 = £400.00 Crikey, Whatever next?

Look smart arse the point I was making is that a £40 difference on one trip my not seem alot but over the course of a year it can add up. Or was I not being smart arse enough so you could understand.

So sitting there and congratulating yourself on being such a smart arse is getting something done. Surely the Government can see that the SPC is using the residents of the IOM as one big cash cow. And they are doing just as much as Stavlos. Cock all.

Well done the IOM deserves to be dent over for letting the SPC get so powerful and unttouchable. Wheres the common sense in that?

I'm not quite sure why you believe that I should be doing something about the prices currently being charged by the Steam Packet. I honestly couldn't give a toss how much they're charging as it has very little impact on me. However, your little crusade and comments about the island deserving to be (presumably) 'bent' over will have very little effect or consequences whilst being posted on a local internet forum. Discuss issues by all means but please realise that this is not the the launch pad for any significant action or armchair protest. If you want action, you'll have to get off your arse and go and do something about it. If you want to moan about it or discuss it then this is as good a place as any.

So you dont buy any products or use any services that have had the costs increased because of the high fees the SPC? Talk about talking out your arse.

I am amazed how much effort you all put into attacking me personally. Anyone would think the yokels have got nothing better to do. Oh wait they only account for half the population and only half the working population at that. Dont worry I'm sure its not long until Jeremy Kyle is back on.

You haven't been reading your Daily Wail , have you? :P

For those who consider themselves as British as a cup of tea or Christmas turkey, it may come as a surprise.

For, just like these traditions, many of us can trace our origins abroad.

In fact, those who investigated at least four generations of their family tree revealed just over half had recent immigrant ancestors.

I am amazed how much effort you all put into attacking me personally. Anyone would think the yokels have got nothing better to do. Oh wait they only account for half the population and only half the working population at that. Dont worry I'm sure its not long until Jeremy Kyle is back on.

You haven't been reading your Daily Wail , have you? :P

For those who consider themselves as British as a cup of tea or Christmas turkey, it may come as a surprise.

For, just like these traditions, many of us can trace our origins abroad.

In fact, those who investigated at least four generations of their family tree revealed just over half had recent immigrant ancestors.

Stavros and Lonan3 do you have jobs or are you just sat there with your knob in one hand and a tube of pringles in the other?

I honestly couldn't give a toss how much they're charging as it has very little impact on me.

So you dont buy any products or use any services that have had the costs increased because of the high fees the SPC? Talk about talking out your arse.

Note: "it has very little impact on me"

I try to buy Manx and if I can't and if I really, really have to buy other products or services that might cost slightly more than usual because of the increased charges then it has very little impact on me.

You appear to know a great deal about talking out of an arse!

Archived