[BBC News] Fleet flagship heads to dry dock

Newsbot

In that article Mr Woodward (Steam Packet Chief Executive) states: "The first week following New Year is a traditionally quiet period for us, and allows us to undertake the necessary work with the minimum disruption to services." The first week following New Year is traditionally quiet??? What, no-one goes away for Christmas/New Year and comes back in the first week of January. The spin that the steam packet attempts is frankly pathetic.

The flagship of the Isle of Man Steam Packet company, Ben My Chree, is going into a dry dock after its propellers were damaged by fishing gear.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7790562.stm

Grumble..... I remember that said weekend and have yet to get a response from SP over the farce..... ( I was one of those with a familey that ended up sleeping in the main building because we would have been split up other wise.... a personal situation that was not possible..... )

Terran

I feel it falls upon us as responsible people to react proportionately to this news.

So lets all panic buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeehaaa!!!!!

how the hell do you damage a prop that huge? what did they do run over a f***ing fishing boat
Dont forget the Cat also decided to have the same for lunch on the way in on the same day....... you'd think doing one might give you a warning sign that some thing was out there..... doing two was careless.

If it was not for the fact that both the Ben and the Cat where blocking the ramps at the same time ( personally I would have moved the Ben asap just in case as it was movable as such ) then we would have all got home ( slightly late ) on the Vomit Comet......

Sorry - I'm ranting again.

OT - How do they pay for this sort of thing, do they have insurance like we do for cars etc ? I wonder what the premium is like eeeek.

Terran

do they sue the chap with his little lobster pot boat for putting them there (or allowing them to drift from where he tossed them overboard) ?

I understand the problems with ropes and cables in a jetpump, but thought most commercial ships that operate out of small ports had cable cutters fitted to the propshafts it commonsense.

Oh hang on it the SPC :lol: :lol:

Archived