The Falklands - A Perspective On Independence.

Cronky

With some talk in the island of independence from the UK I though this ten minute video might be of interest:

A Modern Falklands

I have no particlular point to make with this. It's just that the people speaking in the film are comfortable with being British and having a right to self determination. They even have a Mr Moffat airing his views !

With some talk in the island of independence from the UK I though this ten minute video might be of interest:

A Modern Falklands

I have no particlular point to make with this. It's just that the people speaking in the film are comfortable with being British and having a right to self determination. They even have a Mr Moffat airing his views !

Is it the case that the Falkland Islanders have far more to lose from independence than the Manx would? Interesting making comparisons. Though the identity of the Falkland Islanders is far more British than those who live on the Isle of Man, I'd of thought.

A Modern Falklands

Is it the case that the Falkland Islanders have far more to lose from independence than the Manx would? Interesting making comparisons. Though the identity of the Falkland Islanders is far more British than those who live on the Isle of Man, I'd of thought.

Ellan Vannin has the luxury of knowing that there are no close neighbours with territorial claims. If there were, I suspect that perceptions might be different.

G

Ellan Vannin has the luxury of knowing that there are no close neighbours with territorial claims. If there were, I suspect that perceptions might be different.

G

I'd agree as if the Falklands became independent you could possibly have the same situation as in 1982, though I am not quite sure how that would pan out and whether Britain is just as capable of responding to the same fait accompli. Though I think it is too unlikely to speculate on.

It is interesting that one of the main reasons for the Argentinians having control over the Falklands and South Georgia is to gain a bigger stake in any future partition of Antarctica. This is what I remember reading about quite a while ago.

Archived