Steam Packet

John Wright

You wonder why Steam Packet staff on £6+ per hour don't really, really care about their job and are just doing enough so as not to get themselves fired? Yes, you have a right to expect a modicum of service, but most will just tow the company line.
Manx Forums is a great place to write 'complaining letters', upto a hundred people will see a post here, where as if you write to the said company, one miserable CSo will see the letter, write a crappy reply and nothing will be changed...power to the people.

Some of the work I do is looking at what is called 'failure cost'. The situation described on this thread is a classic - you don't get customer service right, a whole lot more people have to get involved, it gets to the Board, the Chairman asks for more information, more people get involved, the customer writes to the forum, people say to themselves "it's a crappy company, I'll take the car to Ireland instead" - Mr Woodward get it right first time and you will generate much more profit! Often Usually companies are happier to have redundancies than to fix the way they operate (unimaginative accountant's thinking!!!!!).

Incidentally a typical bank used to have failure costs that were about 50% of total management expenses - that was before they wrecked the financial system through their failures...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You wonder why Steam Packet staff on £6+ per hour don't really, really care about their job and are just doing enough so as not to get themselves fired? Yes, you have a right to expect a modicum of service, but most will just tow the company line.
Manx Forums is a great place to write 'complaining letters', upto a hundred people will see a post here, where as if you write to the said company, one miserable CSo will see the letter, write a crappy reply and nothing will be changed...power to the people.

Some of the work I do is looking at what is called 'failure cost'. The situation described on this thread is a classic - you don't get customer service right, a whole lot more people have to get involved, it gets to the Board, the Chairman asks for more information, more people get involved, the customer writes to the forum, people say to themselves "it's a crappy company, I'll take the car to Ireland instead" - Mr Woodward get it right first time and you will generate much more profit! Often Usually companies are happier to have redundancies than to fix the way they operate (unimaginative accountant's thinking!!!!!).

Incidentally a typical bank used to have failure costs that were about 50% of total management expenses - that was before they wrecked the financial system through their failures...

You assume that anyone at the Racket will give a flying fuck about John's complaints. They will no doubt be highly aware of the alternatives he has in getting his menagerie and winnebago-thingie from the IOM to England.

Build another linkspan

You assume that anyone at the Racket will give a flying fuck about John's complaints. They will no doubt be highly aware of the alternatives he has in getting his menagerie and winnebago-thingie from the IOM to England.

Build another linkspan

Tugger - your assumption about the IOMSPC not caring about people travelling off-island is probably spot on (even if dealing with complaints costs money) - no need to worry - Winnebagos don't float. The shame is that people also travel here for holidays - and they have a choice of where they go to. Poor management.

Would love to see a second linkspan - and an independent service to go with it. At least it would prove whether or not competition makes a difference.

At least it would prove whether or not competition makes a difference.

learn from history, not too long ago 2 companies have nearly gone bankrupt with competition, they only survived by merging

(I wonder how spco would have handled a similar query from someone in London wanting to change a booking, 'you must attend Heysham booking office' ?)

I have to admit that having read this thread whilst I understand the complaint by John bourne by frustration my sympathy tends to lie with the Steam Packet on this one.

Firstly it is not unreasonable in my view that the SP have some standard rules with regard to what is required when amending a booking. Yes there may have been only one person called Wright travelling on that day in those circumstances but in a large company I would assume that you have to have some set down procedures and prroof of booking or ID does not appear too be an unreasonable one.

Nor does it appear unreasonable to me that they have cut off times for bookings, yes the actual time might appear to be unreasonable to you or me but I see nothing unreasonable with regard to them applying.

Finally with regard to going stand by it has always in my limited experience been that to be on standby that you have to attend at or around check in time on a first come first served basis. I have only ever used when I have mucked up a booking and turned up for the "wrong" sailing but it seems entirly appropriate that it operates on such a basis as you are there ready to go if space is available. In some cases this may only be at the last minute through no shows.

So sorry but in this case whilst I am not a lover of the standards of customer service of the steam packet in this case standing on the sides lines I do not believe there is to much to get annoyed about but I am sure I might have got equally exasperated if it had happened to me, but I would like to think I would not have got so het up about printing off a booking reference etc in the forst place!

Sorry about the dog but am on IOMSP side relating to cancellation etc!

Only wrote to say that the Tunnel to Calais IS open and has not been shut other than a few days after the fire.

Have used it several times since the fire and only difference is trains go every 90 minutes at moment but this is due to change in late February......

SPCO very bad at customer service and seem not to care. Monopolies never a good thing !

Just found the answer - an insert in the Courier and Independent last week, headed "May day alert for Manannan debut" (is that Mayday Mayday?), which starts with the following " Residents of and visitors to the Isle of Man are set to experience enhanced levels of service when the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's new recruit makes her debut voyage next May."

Obviously, from the sound of that, we have to wait until May before the service improves - but why do we have to wait so long?

(Edited for spelling)

I read that I (along with other relevant customers) are to be told that the Viking is replacing the B-M-C on services in early January that we are booked on. Still have not heard anything from them. I continue not to hold my breath on this...

It seems that the scheduled work has been put back by a day. Perhaps this might explain why you had heard nothing, though the "Marketing director" did say on Manx Radio earlier today that they had been trying to contact everyone.

The "trouble" is that the revisions mean that the Viking will now be going to Heysham and back on Saturday 10 January, and out to Heysham on Sunday morning (11th) (One way only). B-M-C returns in service from Birkenhead on the Sunday.

The "trouble" is that the revisions mean that the Viking will now be going to Heysham and back on Saturday 10 January, and out to Heysham on Sunday morning (11th) (One way only). B-M-C returns in service from Birkenhead on the Sunday.

Hehehehe you wish as I stated previously the bens birth here is having work done on it and the workment have been told it is free for at least ten days so it seems the steam pirates are telling porkies (just for a change) about how long the Ben will be out of service unless they are going to squeeze it into the Vikings spot

They are total tossers. In the summer we were across and one of our kids spent three days in hospital with pneumonia. We called to delay our return by 24 hours explaining the circumstances. The arsehole in the call centre tried to charge us £180 for a change of ticket. I lost my rag and beat them down to £80. Eventually I got a full refund and an apology but the company left a bad smell in our household.

We looked at going away during TT (love the bikes but it's time for a change . . .) They want nearly £500 for a car . . .

The Steam Packet give the Isle of Man a bad name. What more can I say.

If you are on the boat between 7 and 10 January, you will be on Viking, unless the schedules change again.

There is no reason why Ben should not use the Victoria Pier while the normal berth (not birth :) ) is receiving attention. It just means marshalling the traffic in a different direction. Ben has used the Victoria Pier before.

I phoned today to change a foot passenger ticket from 12th to 9th (son going back to uni and got the date wrong!). The not very helpful , grumpy young lady told me it was fully booked for the 9th.... asked her twice was she sure. She was absolutely sure but said he could travel on the 13th. I went online and no problem with availability, £17 one way. Phoned back, got different young lady who tells me there IS room on the 9th (surprise) and that it will cost £12 to change the ticket. I never believe what they tell you.......... as always - shocking customer service.

Archived