Steam Packet

John Wright

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
more changes
Further changes have been made to the Ben-my-Chree's repair schedule, meaning more sailings will be affected.

The Steam Packet's flagship will now go in to dry dock on Friday, and will not return to service until Tuesday next week.

The weekend crossings have been diverted to Heysham, as the replacement vessel, the viking, cannot dock at Twelve Quays in Birkenhead.

Passengers travelling between Friday and Tuesday are advised to contact the Steam Packet Company for a transfer or refund.

but still no mention of the SPCo webby, wouldn't you think that would be the most up to date ?

18th December is a bit old news :(

Previously when the fastcraft can't sail (bit of a breeze, tech problems etc.) bus transport has been provided for diverted passengers. Heysham to Liverpool and vica versa.

Heard a rumour today that bus transport will not be provided next season. If you have to go to Heysham instead of Liverpool you have to find your own way south and if you turn up at Liverpool to find the sailing has been cancelled, as often happens, tough luck find your own way to Heysham.

Nothing would surprise me with the current Steam Packet management but surely they wouldn't pull a stunt like that? Or would they?

Anybody know what the score is?

This get worse and worse. Booked Birkenhead to the Island on Sunday. Heard on MR that the repair on the Ben had been put back. No contact from SP so called yesterday to change booking to Heysham Sunday afternoon on the Viking. Text from SP today saying Sunday sailing cancelled due weather. OK I suppose the weather's not their fault so accepted that and asked for a second transfer to Monday from Heysham. Nope, fully booked as it's still on the Viking. Booked Tuesday now so now going to miss my birthday party on 12th, 2 days work and it's going to cost me two nights in a hotel. The only other alternative is to fly at great cost and come back for my car next week. Tried very hard not to rant but FFS!

If you are reading this Mr Woodward, how would you feel?

This get worse and worse. Booked Birkenhead to the Island on Sunday. Heard on MR that the repair on the Ben had been put back. No contact from SP so called yesterday to change booking to Heysham Sunday afternoon on the Viking. Text from SP today saying Sunday sailing cancelled due weather. OK I suppose the weather's not their fault so accepted that and asked for a second transfer to Monday from Heysham. Nope fully booked as it's still on the Viking. Booked Tuesday now so now going to miss my birthday party on 12th, 2 days work and its going to cost me two nights in a hotel. The only other alternative is to fly at great cost and come back for my car next week. Tried very hard not to rant but FFS!

He might feel a bit silly about IOMSP selling the Lady (though it was before he took over).

S

He might feel a bit silly about IOMSP selling the Lady (though it was before he took over).

I read in Ships of Mann that the sale of LADY OF MANN was down to the fact she was "uncomfortable in heavy seas" and that a further refit to keep her up to scratch with the SOLAS regulations would have badly comprimised her capacity capabilities...:o

I read in Ships of Mann that the sale of LADY OF MANN was down to the fact she was "uncomfortable in heavy seas" and that a further refit to keep her up to scratch with the SOLAS regulations would have badly comprimised her capacity capabilities... :o

Ah yes if it was in Ships of Mann, which is more or less the company's house magazine, then it must be true?

If he is out there - his name has appeared in a press release (but did he write that?) and there has been no "blog" since 18 December.

Has anyone seen him lately?

I read in Ships of Mann that the sale of LADY OF MANN was down to the fact she was "uncomfortable in heavy seas" and that a further refit to keep her up to scratch with the SOLAS regulations would have badly comprimised her capacity capabilities... :o

Ah yes if it was in Ships of Mann, which is more or less the company's house magazine, then it must be true?

Of course, the present fleet is very comfortable in heavy seas - they sit them out in harbour. The Lady was pretty much an all-weather boat, and a very good one.

S

Manx Radio news saying "Ben My Chree is in dry dock today", but have they looked out of their window lately ?

still saty in harbour hosing down the decks

(maybe they are delaying their dry docking in case Viking is stormbound tomorrow ?)

looks like West Express is heading straight our way, so they may have to shift soon, may be to coincide with high tide on the Mersey @ 21.47 tonight

Got to Heysham on the BMC on Thursday without any hassle despite the fact that according to the IOMSPC it was supposed to be the Viking. I am glad I did not hold my breath about being informed of changes by the IOMSPC as I am still awaiting their phone call or email. If they said that passengers should check their website for up to date sailing information I could accept that (provided they kept the information current). What I find really poor is that they said 'we will try our utmost to contact passengers' - you give them 3 contact numbers - and you get b... all contact from them. Hope others are faring better.

Anyway see they are bang up to date now with news from 3 days ago which does not match comments and information on this thread about sailings.

I don't think junior staff should be blamed for this. It is a sign of sloppy leadership - not ensuring that the commitments they make in public actually happen in terms of actual service delivery.

By the way does anyone know why they are still including a fuel surcharge for 2009? If you look at their Sailing Brochure it says that £5 per person per voyage fuel surcharge is included in all fares - I mistakenly thought that fuel prices were back to 2005 levels. Wouldn't it be better to charge a price that is relevant for 2009 without fuel surcharges and only add these IF fuel prices rise again? I note that they also 'reserve the right' to levy fuel surcharges - I thought that these had to be agreed with the DoT in which case they don't have the 'right' but can 'apply' to levy them?

Fuel Surcharge - Last Page - 1.9

By the way does anyone know why they are still including a fuel surcharge for 2009? If you look at their Sailing Brochure it says that £5 per person per voyage fuel surcharge is included in all fares - I mistakenly thought that fuel prices were back to 2005 levels. Wouldn't it be better to charge a price that is relevant for 2009 without fuel surcharges and only add these IF fuel prices rise again? I note that they also 'reserve the right' to levy fuel surcharges - I thought that these had to be agreed with the DoT in which case they don't have the 'right' but can 'apply' to levy them?

Fuel Surcharge - Last Page - 1.9

From Loads of words by Woodward

Another contributor to the blog has asked if we will be reducing our surcharges due to the recent reduction in the price of crude oil. Because the system works in arrears, we will be reviewing our fuel surcharges in March in line with the actual costs incurred over the prior 6 month period.

and a little later:

The fuel surcharge debate did not acknowledge that we are only now recouping some of the money that we spent on higher fuel charges earlier this year. The amount that is being recouped this year is only a quarter of that which we incurred – fuel costs rose by £4.4 million in 2008, whereas surcharge income rose by £1.1 million.

Notwithstanding all this, we will now work with the Department of Transport to consider the recommendations put forward by the Select Committee.

Archived