Website Age Ratings 'an Option'

bluemonday

i cant see this as viable.

why not have a program that acts as a buffer, sites may only be viewable once your parent or guardian has given the computer password permission to allow these site onto the child's PC or login.

the child gives the parent a list of sites he wishes to visit and the parent can then examine the site and be satisfied that it is safe. Once the parent 'unlocks' these sites, they will then appear on a favorites style list of sites when the child logs in.

the program would cut out the need for a lot of work and arguing over age classifications. each parent could make their own decision.

putting age restrictions/recommendations on sites could be difficult, there are a lot of gray areas, and the potential for a lot of mistakes before any workable system could be put in place. much better to stem the flow of information only at the computers of children rather than try to organize the entire Internet into some sort of huge video rental store with neat subcategories all with little safety labels and age recommendations.

i found the statistic that three out of four children had been disturbed by images from the Internet to be a little dramatic. however , i am all for increasing the safety of the Internet for children as it can be an incredibly valuable resource for education.

All very well in theory but technically and politically it is fraught with problems.

The NSPCC spokeswoman hits the nail on the head:

"And these mechanisms on their own aren't enough. They've got to be combined with greater parental awareness. Most parents have no clue what their children are up to online."

If parents are concerned about what their children watch then they should supervise them more carefully. Personally I'm more concerned about governments and quangos dictating what anyone should or shouldn't be able to see online than I am about the internet corrupting children. The Great Firewall of China is not something we should be seeking to emulate.

i cant see this as viable.

why not have a program that acts as a buffer, sites may only be viewable once your parent or guardian has given the computer password permission to allow these site onto the child's PC or login...

Another example of NuShite talking out of their arse again. There is already software available that can do this e.g. Safe Eyes, CyberPatrol and Net Nanny etc. and associated teams of people/robots continually searching/trawling the web and adding unsuitable websites to be blocked by these software packages.

I agree with Pragmatopian, and suspect there is more to this 'announcement' than meets the eye. Politics of fear in action again, and NUShite riding the back of fear to remove even more civil liberties.

There is also the issue of educating parents on computing, which lies with the government and the education system - but this of course will take time to work through - but never will work 100%. Of course, responsible parents take an interest in what their kids do online, it is the irresponsible/computer illiterate ones that don't - and they seem to be the 80% majority at present unfortunately.

I think the only way around this would be to ensure that companies make these blocking/control software packages cheaper, or even free (perhaps making money on other services such as AVG do on virus protection and seeking corporate and enhanced business - 80 million people currently use the free AVG anti-virus progamme, and the 'free' forumla seems to work for everyone concerned). Governments could also perhaps give grants or tax breaks to some of these companies to make the software a 'free option' when people who have children buy PC's. Someone like Bill Gates could altrusitically make it a free add on to windows/IE etc. but that would be unfair to other companies selling similar software in a free market. The UK government gave tax breaks a few years ago to encourage people to buy computers through their workplace, I can't see why they can't over this type of software.

Would totally recommend www.sentryparentalcontrols.co.uk as a very useful bit of kit for keeping an eye on internet access, chat log access and application access.

Have used it myself a few times for concerned parents.

Very good firefox plug in that blocks profanity, works very well indeed:

http://procon.mozdev.org/

You won't get to see many messages on this forum, then.

S

Archived