Social Workers Recruitment 'a Problem'

Jimcalagon

Health Minister says that recruiting social workers is a problem

Earlier this week, Rushen MHK Quintin Gill pointed out a large number of youngsters on the Child Protection Register are having their cases dealt with by unqualified staff.

Mr Teare says the department is aware of the problem, which is down to difficulties recruiting professionals from off-Island.

Last year, family friends, resident on the island and both highly qualified social workers and desperate to stay here, had to relocate their family back to the UK because they could not find employment here. In a couple of cases they were passed over for jobs which eventually went top local people with no qualifications or experience.

Eddie Teare - you're talking shite.

this rock is infested with busy body do gooders, surely some of them should be forming a queue to get paid for it??

I would prefer them to deport some of the adult drugged-up, alcohol-fuelled, pond-life, psychotic scum that cause many of these problems in the first place - where possible, manx or not. The threat of being kicked off the island might make a few of them think twice.

Recruitment 'FULLSTOP' is a nightmare. We have been advertising a great little job for ages but all the applicants are 'just wrong', there have been one or two decent applicants but, sadly, nothing came of them. I've found people who lie on their CV and at interview, what is the point? People are so consumed with money too, whats that all about? I would rather work in a pleasant working environment for £2 an hour less than have to put up with a slimy lecherous pervy boss or a fat bag of hammers who 'thinks' she is the boss of me :) Anyway, if anyone with half a brain is after a cool little job PM me (joke btw)

large number of youngsters on the Child Protection Register are having their cases dealt with by unqualified staff.

Judging by the numbers of deaths/serious injuries across, the qualified ones are a box of shit.

Recruitment 'FULLSTOP' is a nightmare. We have been advertising a great little job for ages , Anyway, if anyone with half a brain is after a cool little job PM me (joke btw)

cool little job??? working in a freezer?? if the job was so great, how come no rush of 'suitable' people wanting it??

i suppose the big question is should or government be allowing non quallified people to be doing the work of social workers and/or passing them off as social workers without the necessary quallifications.??!! and with our recent pension fuck up, getting brains from elsewhere is going to be harder than it ever was.

i suppose the big question is should or government be allowing non quallified people to be doing the work of social workers and/or passing them off as social workers without the necessary quallifications.??!! and with our recent pension fuck up, getting brains from elsewhere is going to be harder than it ever was.

Lack of qualifications/experience never seems to have been a problem for recruiting/promoting people who work for the government. There is much evidence that the whole government, MHKs and Civil Servants, seems to have been based on the 'Peter principle' manual - "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

As long as you have 'O' level english you'll be ok - forget degrees, masters and good experience and all that.

Not one of our politicians have experience or qualifications for their roles in organising our lives. Doesn't make them any less efficient.

Of course it makes them less efficient. Far better to have someone in Treasury with a background in economics, or in health with an understanding of the health service.

Lack of qualifications/experience never seems to have been a problem for recruiting/promoting people who work for the government. There is much evidence that the whole government, MHKs and Civil Servants, seems to have been based on the 'Peter principle' manual - "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

This is because government employees are not promoted on results. It's on time served and "Dead Man's Shoes". Anyone with any gumption wouldn't stay in the Scribbling Service anyway. They would be poached or just leave to do a lot better in the private sector. That's why the Public Sector have a few excellent people working their balls off because they know they can make a difference (which is reward in itself) and the rest are dross with one eye on the clock and the other on their pension fund. It was ever thus...

Archived