New Years Honours List

steven !

Overall, hasn't the honours system become seriously devalued? Whilst I've nothing against people being recognised for work that that benefits the 'community' or people who may be underprivileged why on earth are gongs being awarded to the likes of Chris Hoy and other sportsmen and women who, after all, are merely doing their job.

Lewis Hamilton though, respect.

Respect for what? That he earns gazillions for boosting his personal ego, whilst contributing nothing that's of any benefit to the human race?

Even that Lieutenant Uhuru got one - and she's not even been born yet.

Honours of this kind should not be awarded for sporting achievement or for entertainers. There should be a separate 'Hall of Fame' with gold, silver and bronze awards. The likes of Chris Hoy (and Ben Ainslie) would be presented with a gold award for what they've achieved, while someone like Hamilton would have received a bronze for his efforts last year and, possibly, be elevated to silver now.

I think the whole honours system stinks, and many of those that work hard most of their lives for charities, and really deserve them, hardly ever seem to get a mention. These things are handed out like chocolate money these days.

MBE's and OBE's? - what empire?

Pitcairn, Diego Garcia (currently in use by the U.S.A.), Pitcairn, Virgin Islands, etc., oh and the Isle of Man. Truly is an Empire!

I don't know why anyone cares about the honours system. Is anyone really going to get jealous about a pop singer getting one when they have been working in charity all their life. It is just a token gesture of recognition for something.

Like the idea on the sport awards.. and the grading Gold Silve Bronze, way more fitting for them ..

I believe the honour system took a real nosedive when they gave Kelly Holmes the award of a Damehood , after winning 2 races !!!! Sure a great sporting feat, but worthy of the same level as some in the same year, I think not ...

If its going to be for sporty people , then it should be for the trainers who continue year after year to get one to the top of the field, they never give up , just keep going .. Continued acheivement like Sir Steve Redgrave , yes that deserves it for continuing to go on , even after the infamous words of shoot me if I ever get in a boat again.., but for a single olympic year, I think not ..

People who devote years for charity and end up with nothing, sure they dont really bother that they have not been picked up , and thats what makes them special and really deserve the countries recognition..

They should revamp the whole system , put a limit on how many of each grade gets one , and only have 10 of each level, then see how many sports people make it in ....

Ill stand by for the back lash now then should I ?

JI

Honours of this kind should not be awarded for sporting achievement or for entertainers. There should be a separate 'Hall of Fame' with gold, silver and bronze awards. The likes of Chris Hoy (and Ben Ainslie) would be presented with a gold award for what they've achieved, while someone like Hamilton would have received a bronze for his efforts last year and, possibly, be elevated to silver now.

I thought they had been...

Hamilton? It's not real sport is it? Respect? Can an able bodied person truly qualify as a true sportsman when all he does is sit on his bum and drive in circles? He does his job, he gets paid.

His pampered posturing hardly compares to the efforts of the under awarded Special Olympians, does it?

Hamilton? It's not real sport is it? Respect? Can an able bodied person truly qualify as a true sportsman when all he does is sit on his bum and drive in circles? He does his job, he gets paid.

His pampered posturing hardly compares to the efforts of the under awarded Special Olympians, does it?

I've never driven a formula 1 car but it looks a tad more difficult than sitting on my arse, charging £250 an hour and still fucking up regularly.

That man overcame bullying, racism and an inordinate amount of hassle to even get in a decent car, let alone win anything. Alright, he's selfish and spoilt but at least he took 8 months to win his title and not three minutes.

For myself I have never used a title in any correspondance or called anyone 'Sir' or 'Lady'. It's gotten me into trouble but at least they can't cut your head off or it now. I remember being in a crown court once and refusing to call the judge 'Your lordship', I got put in the cells for that and I was a prosecution witness FFS.

It's only a laugh, enjoy one of our societys' eccentricities.

I think the whole honours system stinks, and many of those that work hard most of their lives for charities, and really deserve them, hardly ever seem to get a mention. These things are handed out like chocolate money these days.

Pitcairn, Diego Garcia (currently in use by the U.S.A.), Pitcairn, Virgin Islands, etc., oh and the Isle of Man. Truly is an Empire!

I don't know why anyone cares about the honours system. Is anyone really going to get jealous about a pop singer getting one when they have been working in charity all their life. It is just a token gesture of recognition for something.

I think the words "all their life" are the pertinent ones. Why should Lewis and Hoy etc etc receive honours at this stage of their very young lives?

By all means when those that have performed throughout their careers could and should be recognised but when they are retired.

Blair started this all off by giving the Rugby World Cup winning squad (played or not) medals and Brown is continuing to the extent of even honouring a Treasury employee who was as responsible as Brown for the mess we are in.

By the way what happened to Strictly Brucie and his much vaunted knighhood...does he have to wait for death and he deserves one more than the likes of Jagger, Connery etc.

I do think that one of the Manx recipients deserves recognition as he has worked very hard (and not just travelled the world) on behalf of the sporting fraternity in the IOM and Cronkbourne Cricket club in particular but the other one......?

Crown dependencies?

S

I've never driven a formula 1 car but it looks a tad more difficult than sitting on my arse, charging £250 an hour and still fucking up regularly.

That man overcame bullying, racism and an inordinate amount of hassle to even get in a decent car, let alone win anything. Alright, he's selfish and spoilt but at least he took 8 months to win his title and not three minutes.

For myself I have never used a title in any correspondance or called anyone 'Sir' or 'Lady'. It's gotten me into trouble but at least they can't cut your head off or it now. I remember being in a crown court once and refusing to call the judge 'Your lordship', I got put in the cells for that and I was a prosecution witness FFS.

It's only a laugh, enjoy one of our societys' eccentricities.

The present day "sporting hero" reminds me of these guys in the fifties who waltzed around covered with advertisments from head to foot------sandwich board men they were called---eat at Joes-----bigger bucks,same job description.

Archived