New Years Honours List

steven !

Honours of this kind should not be awarded for sporting achievement or for entertainers. There should be a separate 'Hall of Fame' with gold, silver and bronze awards. The likes of Chris Hoy (and Ben Ainslie) would be presented with a gold award for what they've achieved, while someone like Hamilton would have received a bronze for his efforts last year and, possibly, be elevated to silver now.

I think the honours should go to people who have excelled at their chosen field. It pisses me off that they get awards for services to music and charity. Charity should be an end in itself not an opportunity to bump a middling entertainer up the honours ladder.

Honours of this kind should not be awarded for sporting achievement or for entertainers. There should be a separate 'Hall of Fame' with gold, silver and bronze awards. The likes of Chris Hoy (and Ben Ainslie) would be presented with a gold award for what they've achieved, while someone like Hamilton would have received a bronze for his efforts last year and, possibly, be elevated to silver now.

I think the honours should go to people who have excelled at their chosen field. It pisses me off that they get awards for services to music and charity. Charity should be an end in itself not an opportunity to bump a middling entertainer up the honours ladder.

What about those who excel in charitable causes?

But that is the point Declan, ordinary people who serve charitable causes do so for the cause, not to earn some recognition and the honours system is a way of recognising that effort and dedication.

I have no problem with someone gaining an honour because of their charitable works, whether or not they are already famous in some other field. I do have a problem with celebs being awarded honours because of their, very well rewarded musical, sporting or other achievement. I don't mind amateur sportspeople being recognised in the honours list for their achievement in the Olympics, say. I believe the honours systems should reward people for their achievements who would not otherwise be rewarded.

That said, I kind of understand why GB would want to recognised the lifelong contribution of certain artists to British culture by giving knighthoods and damehoods (?). as these people are pre-eminent in their field and are also tremendous ambassadors. But it has to be more than ephemeral success to demonstrate that they really have contributed to British society.

But that is the point Declan, ordinary people who serve charitable causes do so for the cause, not to earn some recognition and the honours system is a way of recognising that effort and dedication.

Very often, it is the egotistical self-publicists working for a charity that get all the recognition.

Let's all nominate stu for an honour, see how hard it is.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentciti...edals/DG_067917

Thanks Skrappey - but I just looked at the link, and alas, couldn't tick any of the boxes. I'll ask King Dave if I can be Air Marshal next time he's feeling benevolent instead.

Archived