[BBC News] Drivers targeted 'morning after'

Newsbot

I'm not condoning it, but......you are aware that each and every 'drink driver' doesn't automatically result in an accident aren't you guys? Far far from it......

Or do these adverts/public information features really work??

They do don't they???

That's scarier than a million drink drivers. Brain washing before our very eyes.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Sebrof.

I agree with you. ANY form of dangerous driving should be condemned. But from your posts it seemed as if you were disapproving of people that thought drink driving is wrong.

Whether it is drink driving, speeding, dangerous driving etc, it is such a tragedy when anyone is killed by another road user.

I too was nearly wiped out on the M6 during the night when an obvious "sleep driver" veered 2 lanes to try and hit me. Even a long blast on the horn didn't seem to wake them. It was only the fact that the road was fairly empty that I managed to avoid them.

But I am sure you would agree, no sane person would think that having a few pints then driving home is acceptable.

Absolutely.

S

I'm not condoning it, but......you are aware that each and every 'drink driver' doesn't automatically result in an accident aren't you guys? Far far from it......

Or do these adverts/public information features really work??

They do don't they???

That's scarier than a million drink drivers. Brain washing before our very eyes.

As I have pointed out before, two thirds of road deaths are caused be sober drivers. But the knee-jerk brigade never think of that. And I suspect very often these same people are Top Gear wannabees who'd love to have a car that could do 180 mph.

S

Is it really even that high? ?

I can't even remember the last drink driving related road death over here.....I can recall plenty of road deaths over the last ten-twenty years though.

Are there actually any proper statistics?

A quick look though google and it appears not.

Sometimes seems to me that drink driving, like drugs, is one those crimes where the evidence is there in front of you, therefore an easy 'crime' to catch people doing. Almost seems like an easy option to go catching and targeting those criminals than any real nasty bastards, of which the world, and the Island, seem full of.

I agree more deaths are caused by sober or sleeping drivers, but as this thread is about drink driving I decided only to comment on the subject in hand and not try to diversify it. as for drivers falling asleep at the wheel due to lack of rest I deem that just as bad as drink driving, better to pull over and have a kip than never wake up on the road.

Is it really even that high? ?

I can't even remember the last drink driving related road death over here.....I can recall plenty of road deaths over the last ten-twenty years though.

Are there actually any proper statistics?

A quick look though google and it appears not.

Sometimes seems to me that drink driving, like drugs, is one those crimes where the evidence is there in front of you, therefore an easy 'crime' to catch people doing. Almost seems like an easy option to go catching and targeting those criminals than any real nasty bastards, of which the world, and the Island, seem full of.

The two thirds statistic was from across. I have no idea what the figure is here. Because the penalties are rather higher in the IOM, it is not improbable that drunken drivers account for a smaller proportion of road deaths here.

I agree that the serious accidents I have been aware of haven't generally involved drink-drivers.

I was having a discussion on general road accident statistics with somebody yesterday, who said that the IOM has a much worse record than across. That may be so, but you can't compare the two because most driving in the UK is done on motorways, which are much safer than ordinary roads. You would need to compare off-motorway figures.

S

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, it's lazy policing for a non problem just like drug enforcement. In addition, I'd guess that quite a few road incidents where alcohol is involved are the consequence of other factors and would have happened anyway.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, it's lazy policing for a non problem just like drug enforcement. In addition, I'd guess that quite a few road incidents where alcohol is involved are the consequence of other factors and would have happened anyway.

Here's a scenario:

Police randomly stop two drivers.

One is dog-tired, and on the point of falling asleep.

The other has drunk two pints, his regular tipple, and is just over the limit.

The Police tell the first one to stop as soon as he can and have a coffee.

They throw the book at the second.

The former is about a hundred times more likely to cause an accident, and if and when he does, nothing will happen to him.

The second is banned, fined, and loses his job.

How has this contributed to road safety?

S

Police randomly stop two drivers.

One is dog-tired, and on the point of falling asleep.

The other has drunk two pints, his regular tipple, and is just over the limit.

The Police tell the first one to stop as soon as he can and have a coffee.

They throw the book at the second.

The former is about a hundred times more likely to cause an accident, and if and when he does, nothing will happen to him.

If he does cause an accident and tiredness is found to be the cause the book would be thrown at him also..

If he does cause an accident and tiredness is found to be the cause the book would be thrown at him also..

That's probably true but can't be considered a preventative measure.

Gary Hart the driver who fell asleep at wheel causing selby train disaster was jailed for five years.That would certainly

put me of driving while tired.

Archived