New Years Dips 2009

%age

Gosh it was cold just watching the many mad 'b*ggers' running into the chilly water at Peel earlier today and the screams of shock on the realisation of those participating on how cold the water really was, was extremely funny to say the least. You had to be there to understand it and also the bravery of the red lobsters coming out of the water in search of some warmer clothing :pinch:

It's definitely a must see event and my congratulations go out to other venues doing the same thing today and best wishes to the RNLI and other organizations for being there to assist in a fun but cold afternoon.

:cool:

did the 4 dips in Port Erin / Port St Mary!

Much colder than I remember last year!

At least the tide was in this year! Numbers seemed up on last year too.

I really enjoy community events such as this and the parish walk. Make me glad to live over here!

Blein Vie Noa !

Gosh it was cold just watching the many mad 'b*ggers' running into the chilly water at Peel earlier today and the screams of shock on the realisation of those participating on how cold the water really was, was extremely funny to say the least. You had to be there to understand it and also the bravery of the red lobsters coming out of the water in search of some warmer clothing :pinch:

It's definitely a must see event and my congratulations go out to other venues doing the same thing today and best wishes to the RNLI and other organizations for being there to assist in a fun but cold afternoon.

:cool:

Spot on manxy - it was a must-see alright. Re. Frances' comment, it seemed to me that the crowd was bigger than ever but there were fewer dippers than last year. On top of probable world-beating hangovers, I think word quickly got around that there was a dusting of snow on the beach. Plus lots of people are still laid up with flu.

It's understandable that people didn't hang around, it was bloody cold. The only downside was that the crowd was in such a rush to get back in the warmth that there was a mini log jam and some of the swimmers couldn't get off the beach nearly quickly enough. But the atmosphere really is fantastic; it's one of those events that does the IOM proud. Plus it's a great excuse to spend the rest of the day by the fire in the pub drinking whisky.

Well done to everyone round the Island who dunked!

I just love the photos the BBC use.

Scene, 2 of the 3 BBC employees are pondering whether or not to do some work for the day . . .

Beeb1 "Hey we gotta story about Port Erin, have you got a photo?"

Beeb2 "er, let's see [taps on keyboard] . .P o r t . . . E r i n . . . . yep got some of those"

Beeb1 "We need a Wintery one, you know, cold and bleak type of thing"

Beeb2 "er lets see [taps on keyboard] . .c o l d . . a n d ...b l e a k . . . yep, got one"

Beeb1 "Cheers, the story's a rap"

post-2735-1231002579_thumb.jpg

"More than 100 people braved freezing temperatures at Port Erin"

Re. Frances' comment, it seemed to me that the crowd was bigger than ever but there were fewer dippers than last year.

I get a grandstand view of the Peel dip from up on the headlands (in the warmth too!) - the number of dippers was much less than previous years - especially those who tried to swim out to the boats. The crowd lookeds smaller to me than in past years though guess more tightly bunched this year.

Archived