Digital Radio

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Internet radio FTW. Bought one for my Ma in Manchester, and it works great, even on MR's low data stream.

Tom Glassey's got one and thinks it's ace too. You can get them from around £50 up.

Seems the BBC are the only people still behind DAB - most of the articles I've seen suggest it's already the Betamax of the noughties, but I've never tried one so dunno.

As a fan of BBC 7, I wouldn't be without my DAB radio... In fact I wouldn't be without all 5 of them!

One in the dining room, one in the lounge. One in the bedroom, one in the daughters room, and a nice waterproof one in the bathroom.

I was thinking of getting an Internet radio, but the ones I'd seen didn't give the same clear reception.

Stu, I think there's probably room for DAB and internet. You can't recieve internet (easily) in your car yet for example, or on your phone or mp3 player. Probably wont be long though given the way 3g bandwidth limits are rising.

I was thinking of getting an Internet radio, but the ones I'd seen didn't give the same clear reception.

You don't get reception from internet radio, so what you relieve is as clear as the broadcast. Generally internet streams higher bitrate than dab, because dab is heavily bandwidth constrained. Using your favourite bbc 7 as an example it's broadcast at a relatively low 80kbps on dab and is mono only, where the internet stream is 96k sterio. The Radio 3 bitrate online is 128k stereo. Not sure what the bitrate is on iplayer actually?

If you're using a pc, iplayers the best option, that's using a 128k stereo bitrate for music channels (1, 2, 6 etc), Classical on radio 3 is an impressive 192k and even Radio 4 is 128k stereo. The only exception I think is radio 5, which is 80k mono, which is fine for a speech only station.

The best quality available for Radio 7 is via digital TV, either freeview or Astra, that's 160k stereo.

If you tried internet radio before June last year, you might have been put off by the quality. The beeb were doing it a bit odd, taking the compressed mp2 satellite stream, and transcoding it for the web to wma or real, doubling the compression and making for a fairly stinky stream. They've stopped this practice recently, so the streams are only encoded once.

dab is great. I have it in the car as well as home, works around douglas no problem and covers most of the south and noth of island. Gets a bit dodgy towards peel though and when drivivng on the mountain. pity we can't get radio merseyside as would be great for the football coverage.

As Stu says we have an internet radio and it is great. Its easy to use and the amount of radio stations available is unbelievable. Tom likes 50's and 60's music and so has a few channels from the USA preset. There is just so much to choose from, its fascinating.

Tom has a few Dab radio's but they are limited and a disappointment to Tom due to there only being BBC stations available, though he does love his portable Dab.

So I'd think that the Internet Radio is better if its just in the house with broadband. We bought a Roberts 202 Internet radio which is also a Dab and FM radio so that would give you the best of both worlds and it has a great sound.

The pocket Pure portable Dab radio also gives over 40 hours before it needs recharging which is good and this is an FM/AM radio as well.

Archived