Digital Radio

Halleluja - I thought I was the only Luddite clinging to old hi-fi.

FM4/45/405 with a Michell Syncro deck and Tannoy Monitor Golds here. Bought secondhand in the early 1980's and still sounding sweet. Developed a crackle on the power amp a few years ago, but got it fixed locally.

It's because of luddites clinging onto fm that dab sucks :)

How goes the pressure to increase teh MR bandwidth Stu? Wouldn't take much, even upping it to 64 stereo would make it useful rather than dire.

Thanks for your info on this, Slim.

I've had a look around the web, and DAB seems to be a complete disaster - not least because thanks to Internet radio there is little use for it except on portable devices, where quality doesn't matter.

Sooner it's ditched, the better.

S

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had a look around the web, and DAB seems to be a complete disaster - not least because thanks to Internet radio there is little use for it except on portable devices, where quality doesn't matter.

Sooner it's ditched, the better.

Like I said, it's useful for portables not because of quality, but because you can't get internet while on the move easily (yet). You can't really use an internet radio while in the garage or garden and you certainly can't in the car. So if you want stations that are unreliable or even not available on FM like Radio 6 or 7 then DABs your only option.

FM4/45/405
Mine's still going strong. They were bought in Manchester in 1982 and the only breakdown was caused by the bridge rectifier in the 405. It was replaced about 15 years ago by one off a Velocette LE (no, s'true!). Unfortunately the electrostatics have long gone but the B&W replacements are easier to live with.

Back to the original point. I use DAB every day. It's great in the car and it's convenient but better than good FM? nah! Unfortunately even up here in the NW with line of sight to Divis, R4 is crap on 96.0 due to the low power of the transmitter. Compressed DAB from the same place in that case is better. DAB is a must for any R5 listener who doesn't want to be stuck next to the internet all day.

Edited to say : Sebrof its not a complete disaster. Its a viable alternative that could have been much better. Not sure if the investment of the network will ever pay off though.

FM4/45/405
Mine's still going strong. They were bought in Manchester in 1982 and the only breakdown was caused by the bridge rectifier in the 405. It was replaced about 15 years ago by one off a Velocette LE (no, s'true!). Unfortunately the electrostatics have long gone but the B&W replacements are easier to live with.

Back to the original point. I use DAB every day. It's great in the car and it's convenient but better than good FM? nah! Unfortunately even up here in the NW with line of sight to Divis, R4 is crap on 96.0 due to the low power of the transmitter. Compressed DAB from the same place in that case is better. DAB is a must for any R5 listener who doesn't want to be stuck next to the internet all day.

Edited to say : Sebrof its not a complete disaster. Its a viable alternative that could have been much better. Not sure if the investment of the network will ever pay off though.

I didn't mean that it inevitably had to be a disaster. But it came at the wrong time (competing with the Internet), it was badly planned (the DAB radios won't work with DAB+), and the parsimonious allocation of bandwidth means that what should be better, technically, than FM is in practice often worse. Finally, it's going to cost an arm and a leg to implement fully, and the take-up will never justify it.

S

... Finally, it's going to cost an arm and a leg to implement fully, and the take-up will never justify it.

Shame the radios cost so much, but then the price won't come down until the demand is there - which, of course there won't be until the price comes down.

I managed to get 4 of my DAB radios free or very cheap from a friend in the UK - they're all ex demo, or slightly shop soiled. The only one I paid full price for is combined with a CD player, and FM radio.

Archived