Cautious Optimism At Start Of New Year

%age

Manx Radio

Well, "cautious optimism" sounds a helluva lot better than "I haven't a fucken clue, you". You don't get a knighthood from saying how it is though do you . . . . and perhaps there isn't a knighthood waiting after all.

Seriously folks, I wish you all a very prosperous and Happy New Year and if in doubt always look on the bright side.

You never know, with the economic downturn throughout the rest of the world and the UK, the Isle of Man might somehow come out quite well from it all. Shit, what is it we produce again? Oh yes, fuck all. Ah well, at least even the UK has some oil and they're opening up the coal mines again. And it has some industry or other too. Maybe they will look after us. Christ yezza, we've got one shit load of a Civil Service and all those pensions to pay somehow . . . nahhh, it'll be ok . . . it always is.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a matter of priority all ongoing capital projects should be reviewed to make sure that all possible local companies / labour etc are being used and taking priority over outside contractors if possible. The UK has shown it has no problem in looking after its own at the cost of the IOM so we should make sure we do the same !!

Capital projects are managed by overpaid donkeys. It's a bleedin' fact mate, look at the form.

To be fair, for example, the New Hospital capital project would have been a great saviour to our local economy. But then there was a boom (despite of and not because of our Government) and all the local labour was doing quite well by this time anyway.

So all that dodgy labour had to be brought over from elsewhere and then the local* contractor went kaput and then the New Hospital cost many, many, many, many £millions more than it was supposed to have done and we were left with a very expensive building. That in many ways leaves lots to be desired.

But Tony says it didn't cost the taxpayer a penny because it was paid for out of the National insurance fund.

So that's alright then.

*note. there would appear to be a contradiction here. So the Government employ a local 'contractor'........ which fucked up. Severely.

Ah well, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

ps don't get me going on the M.... E.....Aaaaagghhh

Capital projects are managed by overpaid donkeys. It's a bleedin' fact mate, look at the form.

To be fair, for example, the New Hospital capital project would have been a great saviour to our local economy. But then there was a boom (despite of and not because of our Government) and all the local labour was doing quite well by this time anyway.

So all that dodgy labour had to be brought over from elsewhere and then the local* contractor went kaput and then the New Hospital cost many, many, many, many £millions more than it was supposed to have done and we were left with a very expensive building. That in many ways leaves lots to be desired.

But Tony says it didn't cost the taxpayer a penny because it was paid for out of the National insurance fund.

So that's alright then.

*note. there would appear to be a contradiction here. So the Government employ a local 'contractor'........ which fucked up. Severely.

Ah well, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

ps don't get me going on the M.... E.....Aaaaagghhh

the local contractor??!! was just a paper exercise so the government could spout on about using a local company. it was just a very small, made for the occassion company, to act as a mask for the UK company behind it. as the government are the slowest payers on the planet and this 'local' company had many wage packets to fill, cash flow was a problem. the laugh was that when it did go tits up the government pleaded ignorance of the fact it wasn't a 'proper' local company?? bull shit, they knew what it was alright, they don't give out contracts to 'new' contenders without looking first.

We can always go to the moon on the latest IOM Government project.

Can't help thinking they are out of their depth on that one.

post-2251-1231093218_thumb.jpg

"After 6 months, suspicions at the DoT grew, and they began to suspect Houston the consultants' CV for the £100 million project may have included a few colourful and creative additions"

From MR: 'Diverse economy will help Island'

"The chief minister believes the diverse nature of its economy will put the Isle of Man in good stead when it has to deal with the impact of the worldwide recession, in the coming months and years. Tony Brown says the fact only 36 per cent of the Island's income is derived from the finance sector puts it in a stronger position to weather any economic storm."

But our economy isn't that diversified really. The Finance sector is 36% of GDP, but I think he has missed the link that so many other services and jobs on the island are fairly dependent on the finance sector too, such as professional services which represents around another 15% of GDP, along with construction which approaches 10% and 'other services' another 15% of GDP - never mind the impact of any restricted credit/lending to businesses on the island.

post-2251-1231141190_thumb.jpg

Manufacturing is only 7% GDP, and there have been, as I have banged on about for years, so many wasted opportunities over the good years to bring over some high value engineering companies.

But of course he is talking about GDP, which is not the same as employment and the potential impact on jobs, as various sectors employ numbers not always related to the GDP turnover figures. For example manufacturing may be 7% of GDP, but employs only 5.5% of the population. So when you look a bit closer at just how many jobs in the economy are actually dependent on the finance sector, the picture you get (from the potential impact on jobs) is not the same as Tony's message.

post-2251-1231143007_thumb.jpg

...and all of this with a hefty annual bill to pay for a bloated civil service with 11,500 cushy jobs and associated pensions, a £50 million shortfall from VAT and possibly more in tax receipts this year, and probably the fewest visitors we will ever see in 2009 etc.

Tony Brown is wrong, we are not diversified anywhere near enough...and over many years in the 'good times' he and his cohorts have wasted time, opportunities and money that should have been used for diversification and have missed the big picture IMO - and especially, given the pattern of recessions in the 70s, 80s, 90s and today, totally underestimated the fickle nature of the finance sector and our over-reliance on it.

I'm sure it's as easy as you say it is to produce manufacturing companies out of thin air. I mean, look at how well the UK government is doing in this regard....

I didn't say it was easy, and agree it doesn't happen overnight, but with the tax advantages, grants, and other assistance available here, there have been many many wasted opportunities over the past 20 years to relocate/start such companies here. That said, there are also many opportunities during a recession to approach such companies - when companies are looking to downsize, save costs, and when there is a more flexible employment base whilst unemployment rises.

I didn't say it was easy, and agree it doesn't happen overnight, but with the tax advantages, grants, and other assistance available here, there have been many many wasted opportunities over the past 20 years to relocate/start such companies here. That said, there are also many opportunities during a recession to approach such companies - when companies are looking to downsize, save costs, and when there is a more flexible employment base whilst unemployment rises.

What makes you say that those things aren't being done already? I know of one engineering company that's relocating, to larger premises and is hiring more staff. Do you think the government has no involvement in this?

What makes you say that those things aren't being done already? I know of one engineering company that's relocating, to larger premises and is hiring more staff. Do you think the government has no involvement in this?

Look at the GDP and employment figures...er not as much as they should.

I see you are starting off this new year the same old cantacerous way you started last year - arguing with the bleeding obvious.

Archived