Moffat Slags Off The Vice Admiral Haddacks

Cronky

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed...the 'department of the 83rd county of England'.

When we moved here some years ago it was popular to say that the Isle of Man was like the 'Ukay' thirty years ago - and better off for being that way. Recently a local remarked to me that the Isle of Man had caught up twenty years and was now only ten years 'behind' and rapidly becoming like another English county.

Well, I wouldn't put it that far but I do wonder if there is not some deal stitched up whereby we copy legislation from Westminster in undue haste. I can't put my finger on anything specific. It's more an attitude.

I will qualify that by saying that when I (rarely) go across I return horrified at the changes. Rude, overcrowded, agressive, bureaucratic, uncaring. I could go on . . .

However, one of the biggest mysteries about this place to me is the role of the Chief Secretary who seems to me like the 'real' Governor and far more powerful and influential than the Chief Minister.

Bernard Moffat never picks this point up in my opinion.

Manx Radio: Governor criticised by leading nationalist

Seems a bit harsh to single out the Governor for criticism. How about having a go at all the English civil servants ( like the CSO ) who are beavering away copying UK legislation in to the Isle of Man?

Paul Haddacks is a (retired) Vice Admiral, a knight, and a governor. Not insubstantial achievements.

What is Moffat exactly? A trades-unionist, a zenophobe, and a wind-bag.

S

Extract frim his Excellency's biography:

"Promoted Rear Admiral in 1994 Sir Paul began a long spell of duty in NATO, firstly as the Policy Director at the Supreme Headquarters in Belgium and after promotion to Vice Admiral in 1997 as the United Kingdom Military Representative in NATO Headquarters during NATO’s first operations in the Balkans and in Kosovo. During this period Sir Paul also became the first UK Military Representative to the European Union.

With a wealth of NATO experience behind him, Sir Paul was elected in 2001 to become the Director of NATO’s International Military Staff. This appointment took place during a period of unparalleled activity following the 9/11 attacks in the USA, conflict in Afghanistan and conflict in Iraq. During his ten years in NATO Sir Paul was closely involved in much of the Alliance’s evolution from cold war monolith to 21st century security guarantor."

I would suggest that he's a bit overqualified for his post over here

Brenie Moffat for Governor would be a cheaper option, at least he has his own house

Whenever Bernard Moffat so much as farts, the 'local media' feels a compulsion to pick it up.

There was even that time he made something up (about semantical loss of independence or something) and it was publicised without anyone actually bothering to check the facts.

Its not as though he ever actually has anything interesting to say.

Does anyone actually take anything Moffat says seriously?

I just see him as a stereotypical moaning old bastard. I bet he spends his spare time sitting by the window in his front room waiting for the local kids to do something for him to moan about.

Actually he is probably a member on here. Keyboarder or Lee54 perhaps

Does anyone actually take anything Moffat says seriously?

I just see him as a stereotypical moaning old bastard. I bet he spends his spare time sitting by the window in his front room waiting for the local kids to do something for him to moan about.

Actually he is probably a member on here. Keyboarder or Lee54 perhaps

I take what Bernard says seriously. I usually agree with him too. Why should we be taking advice from the UK's man?

Bernard Moffat is one of the most hardworking people I've ever met - even though he's now retired.

I don't always agree with what he says, but I never doubt his sincerity - and only wish he'd stand for Keys and help change things from within.

Bernard Moffat is one of the most hardworking people I've ever met - even though he's now retired.

I don't always agree with what he says, but I never doubt his sincerity - and only wish he'd stand for Keys and help change things from within.

Come on then Stu, what changes would he bring in that you would like? Constriction of the finance sector? Ending the CPA?

Extract frim his Excellency's biography:

"Promoted Rear Admiral in 1994 Sir Paul began a long spell of duty in NATO, firstly as the Policy Director at the Supreme Headquarters in Belgium and after promotion to Vice Admiral in 1997 as the United Kingdom Military Representative in NATO Headquarters during NATO’s first operations in the Balkans and in Kosovo. During this period Sir Paul also became the first UK Military Representative to the European Union.

Not too sure being high up in NATO command during the Kosovo War is all that much to be proud of.

Stuff here

I think Gladys puts across best what the role of the Governor is. He is just a figurehead so why the issue with the occasion bits of advice from such a person. We are a Crown Dependency and one of the legacies and realities of this position is to have a governor. From listening to the governor's prounouncements they sound as if they are an equivalent of the Queen's Speech at Xmas. But then I see such complaints as a little irrelevant as although having more independence might entail greater democracy from the manx nationalist point of view it would still be a liberal democratic system, just a system whereby others make decisions on your behalf. Not much of a difference really.

Not too sure being high up in NATO command during the Kosovo War is all that much to be proud of.

The fact that NATO made the situation in Kosovo even worse than it was was something that could hardly be covered up. As soon as the bombs starting falling the Serbs began killing and ethnic conflict to a much much greater scale.

Archived