Moffat Slags Off The Vice Admiral Haddacks

Cronky

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no your mistaken my friend when your relatives are born out of the manx earth and have mostly been returned to it .. the soil under your feet is part of you and you are part of it .. couldnt careless if you have a manx passport or not you aint manx my friend..

Manx passport = manx

only to a wanna be quassi manxman..

They like to be quasi-Manx but at the same time doing their best to make us a clone of England.

Always makes me laugh when they go on about immigrants, sad thing is they don't see the irony in their opinions.

Poor Bernie he's starting to look like living proof that the older you get the more you end up becoming a caricature of yourself in order to keep public interest. To me he's starting to hark back to his glory years when his role model seemed to be angry scouse shop steward Bobby Grant from Brookside. It must be hard to accept those days are over and you are not an elected official for anything anymore.

Would children born in Australia to Manx born parents be less Manx than children born on the IOM to Australian parents?

I don't believe in country, patriotism or any of that stuff. Patriotism etc leads to wars. I tend to think in terms of us all being born on the same planet and living under the same sky. The rest just seems like the stuff that idiots fight and argue about.

Would children born in Australia to Manx born parents be less Manx than children born on the IOM to Australian parents?

I don't believe in country, patriotism or any of that stuff. Patriotism etc leads to wars. I tend to think in terms of us all being born on the same planet and living under the same sky. The rest just seems like the stuff that idiots fight and argue about.

Patriotism is the tool despots use to get idiots to fight in their armies.

S

PS: Before I am misinterpreted, I am not saying that those who fight in defence of their country are idiots. Far from it.

QUOTE (pongo @ Jan 5 2009, 08:14 PM) *

thanks for that .

glad you had the time to dump your non beliefs upon us..

but he still gets himself noticed and heard even if his sabre rattling isnt of much interest anymore.

Certainly not much interest from me I have to say. I would like to hear from someone with views on the Island relevant to my generation who have grown up within the finance sector and accept it for what it is and what it brings into the Island - not someone harking back to the 1970's Labour mentality of "On the buses" or 80's Brookside.

Patriotism is the tool despots use to get idiots to fight in their armies.

Ordinarily I would wholeheartedly agree, but who could fail to be moved to self examination or even tears after encountering the powerful words of manxman2?

when your relatives are born out of the manx earth and have mostly been returned to it .. the soil under your feet is part of you and you are part of it ..

I can but imagine that this poignant phrase captures in part the very essence of what it is to be both Manx and proud.

you are what your heritage decrees.

For an area and population as small as the Isle of Man it is a fascinating to examine the issues of cultural and political inheritance.

The simple fact is that the outside influences the Island faces are often vastly more powerful than those internal. The distinctions between Manx Celts and those elsewhere are slight, the same concerns the Vikings living throughout the Daneland. Our laws, traditions, myths are all very much of the Western Margins of the British Isles, and this overarching culture has then been weathered and altered by England's demographic weight - this is the same throughout the British Isles whether in Cornwall, Yorkshire or even County Cork.

I don't know what to make of people who try to say there is a unique pure Manx culture which has resisted and is threatened by these outside influences.

They are missing the fact that all cultures are mongrel accumulations and that is what makes them special.

I am proud of the British mongrel breed which combines all the variety of these British Isles with multiple influences from Empire, Europe and the world. Manx is a subset of that - it has a special mix of all the variety on offer, but to say that someone from County Down, or Dumfries and Galloway (where the surname Moffatt originated from and spread to this Isle - hey Bernard) is significantly different is pure National Romance.

For people to claim they are true Manx who have some unique cultural knowledge on the baisis of their birth and ancestors to me shows a very strange idea of what a culture is - I bet they still watch Eastenders, drink Boddingtons and the odd Heiniken, and use American designed and innovated machines and programs to watch American originated entertainment.

And what any of this has to do with the good governance of this Island is beyond me.

Without good policies and law the population of this Island will leave - they did so in there thousands in the 1970s and far fewer have returned than new comers have found a new life on our shores.

The idea that good ideas from else where should be ignored because they come from that accursed adjacent isle is pure and utter toss - and the idea that only Manxmen of a certain cultural background should be able to select our laws is equally flawed - but that seems to be the major theme of what was being spouted on Hango Hill recently. My goodness and these people aspire to hold political power on this Island - is it any wonder they are a marginal and out of touch group. Deadenders the lot of them unless they are able to bring out a more coherent philosophy as what they've got is of very little use in building a political agenda.

Archived