Another One Bites The Dust

ste1205

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Grand Island hotel, an Isle of Man landmark, is to close with the loss of 19 jobs, it is announced.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7813973.stm

The management has blamed the credit crunch and increasing operating costs for the decision to close the site.

Yeah. That and the fact that was a complete dump. The credit crunch seems to be the overriding excuse for shit business model, dead business syndrome.

The credit crunch seems to be the overriding excuse for shit business model, dead business syndrome.

Endless discussions about said "crisis" beautifully condensed into one sentence! :thumbsup:

When the last head of Woolies took charge he bemoaned the fact that the company sold more than 50 kinds of pencil case yet didn't sell tights. The question is which headless chicken will be next, either on a local or larger stage..

I think I'll have to go on the 8th of Feb for a last Sunday dinner and snap some photos the day before it closes. Perhaps the food might be ok...

They used to do a splendid Queenies Thermidor as both starter and main options. The finest queenies dish I've ever tried on the Isle of Man, well, apart from my own of course, lol.... ; ))

The GI was very nice 20-odd years ago

Are you sure you are not remembering it through the rose tinted specs of memory ?

I remember it as dilapidated 25 years ago.

The main building must have been quite imposing in its day, and it does have a spectacular location. Unfortunately it hasn't been properly maintained and the bits they tacked on to it don't do it any favours. I ate there a few times as a child, and can't remember it being bad... but that was a time when I would have been happy with fishfingers and chips, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

• 1 month later...

would any 1 notice it was the last day for the grand island?

a while ago i was out walking the dog in ramsey and a uk couple pulled up.

and asked if there was a local hotel isaid well only the grand island and they said were not going there so that says it all :lol:

Just came back from the auction. It seemed like people were just bidding for the hell of it! I know some people are going to be 'happy' with there bundles of space heaters and telephones. I was disgusted at the state of the building. There was mould everywhere and it just looked like the whole place was going to collapse!

The main building must have been quite imposing in its day, and it does have a spectacular location. Unfortunately it hasn't been properly maintained and the bits they tacked on to it don't do it any favours. I ate there a few times as a child, and can't remember it being bad... but that was a time when I would have been happy with fishfingers and chips, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

When was it built, is looks Art Deco (doesn't it) so was it built in the 30s?

I wonder what will happen to it. I kinda hope it doesn't get knocked down, but there isn't much use for it now.

I wonder what will happen to it. I kinda hope it doesn't get knocked down, but there isn't much use for it now.

We could invite the USAF to use it for target practice - but they'll probably take out Manx Radio instead :)

I have it on good authority ( a rumour) that the hotel was sold on with an idea to demolish and re-build into apartments. Unfortunately the clause demanding the new hotel be built first is not person specific but site specific. I don't expect anything to happen to the hotel in the near future, certainly NOT a fire that levels it to the ground and would render it a 'brown field' site and prime for development with a new application, without conditions.

I went for a skeet Saturday, a load of old tat that won't raise more than 20k. Even the floor was for sale FFS.

I wonder what colour the shutters will be painted, the swimming pool is blue, I vote for red.

Archived