Scientology And Autism

Lonan3

I hadn't realised that, amongst all their other weird and wonderful beliefs, Scientologists refuse to accept that autism is a real affliction; something that has come to light after the death of John Travolta's son, Jett.

As it says in this TIMES ARTICLE

Critics of Scientology suggested yesterday that Jett may have been suffering from autism, a condition that the church does not recognise because it considers mental illness to be psychosomatic and argues that it should be treated through spiritual healing.

Joey Travolta, the star’s film-maker younger brother and an autism activist, reportedly clashed with his brother about what was wrong with Jett. Joey Travolta worked on a documentary called Normal People Scare Me and helped to found Actors with Autism.

Instead, Travolta always insisted that his son suffered from Kawasaki disease.

Examine the symptoms for each problem:

Children with autism have trouble communicating. They have trouble understanding what other people think and feel. This makes it very hard for them to express themselves either with words or through gestures, facial expressions and touch.

An autistic child who is very sensitive may be greatly troubled — sometimes even pained — by sounds, touches, smells or sights that seem normal to others.

Autistic children may have repeated body movements such as rocking or hand flapping. They may have unusual responses to people, attachments to objects, resistance to change in their routines and/or aggressive or self-injurious behavior. At times they may seem not to notice people, objects or activities in their surroundings. Some children with autism also develop seizures, in some cases not until adolescence.

While those suffering from Kawasaki disease have red, bloodshot eyes, usually without pus or discharge.

A red body rash that varies in size, shape, and consistency. The rash rarely blisters and is usually most obvious in the torso or groin area.

Red, swollen, cracked lips and a red (”strawberry”) tongue and lining of the mouth.

Firm, swollen hands and feet with shiny red palms and soles. The skin begins to shed and peel between 1 and 3 weeks after the fever starts. Peeling starts beneath the fingernails and toenails and slowly spreads to the palms and soles.

Swelling of lymph nodes in the neck.

Now, can you see how easily the two can be confused?

As far as I am aware Autistics don't suffer from seizures. Anyone know more about it than me?

LINK

There is a long-standing link between seizures and autism. Early studies indicate that by the time a child with autism reaches puberty up to 25% of them will develop seizures. Whether this figure still holds up with the recent increase in the number of children with autism is unknown

I don't consider autism an illness. Are autistic people sick? I think not, but anyway...

Believe in a deity, you deserve all you get. My sympathy lies with the innocent.

Not just any deity. These weirdos believe in aliens. I mean what sort of losers would get wrapped in a cult that revolves around the science fiction writings of some freak. I hate religion but scientology is one of the worst.

I don't consider autism an illness. Are autistic people sick? I think not, but anyway...

Believe in a deity, you deserve all you get. My sympathy lies with the innocent.

Not just any deity. These weirdos believe in aliens. I mean what sort of losers would get wrapped in a cult that revolves around the science fiction writings of some freak. I hate religion but scientology is one of the worst.

are they well then..??

are they well then..??

I don't know, you will have to ask them!

Although it pains me to come to LDV's defence.....(sigh)

What I think he's trying to say is that the child did not have an illness, in that he did not catch a disease and not physically sick. He had genetic disorder which affected his mental and social capabilities.

I might be wrong however and apologise now.

Nobody knows what causes autism in every case, but there are probably many causes. Autism is a disability, in the same way as blindness, and, as with blindness, there are many possible causes, and there are many degrees of disability within the spectrum. Rain Man, for instance would be considered autistic, but high functioning.

How can a person post just rubbish, Skrappery how can you say that any one can deserve for their child to die. LDV how can someone, whom in the past at least put thought into his postings agree??

We all have a choice to choose our spiritual path, they have that choicejust as you choose to be an Anarchist.

So would you say its OK for a child to die if they are Muslin, Jew or Zen Budhist.

Austitic or not they are still people

Archived