New Spin On Redundancy!

finaldestination

M&S are earmarked to make a profit of nearly £600million this year, Group Sales are down a minuscule 1.2% and yet they are making 780 people redundant. Modern life is rubbish.

Capitalism is rubbish, it's not about modern life. Workers get shafted and lose their jobs yet so much wealth is held by these companies.

M&S are earmarked to make a profit of nearly £600million this year, Group Sales are down a minuscule 1.2% and yet they are making 780 people redundant. Modern life is rubbish.

Capitalism is rubbish, it's not about modern life. Workers get shafted and lose their jobs yet so much wealth is held by these companies.

And what happens to this wealth?

With good management and a workforce which works, it generates profits.

And what happens to these profits?

About 30% (in the UK) goes to pay taxes which pay for schools. hospitals, roads, etc..

Perhaps 20% is ploughed back into the business to pay for new equipment, do research, etc..

The rest is paid to the shareholders.

And who are these shareholders?

Many of them are pension funds which distribute the money to their pensioners.

Some of them are retired people, who may not have pensions. They need their dividends to live on. Without it, they become a burden on the taxpayer.

It all goes round and round, but a great deal of this wealth ultimately benefits quite ordinary, often poor, people.

S

About 30% (in the UK) goes to pay taxes which pay for schools. hospitals, roads, etc..

Perhaps 20% is ploughed back into the business to pay for new equipment, do research, etc..

Some of them are retired people, who may not have pensions. They need their dividends to live on. Without it, they become a burden on the taxpayer.

It all goes round and round, but a great deal of this wealth ultimately benefits quite ordinary, often poor, people.

S

My point was that the company is still healthy and doing well. Still making and forecast to make huge profits. In light of the economic downturn their sales downturn was tiny. And yet they still chose to turn 780 peoples lives upside down. We don't need a beginners guide to economics. Profit is good. Greed is not.

S

My point was that the company is still healthy and doing well. Still making and forecast to make huge profits. In light of the economic downturn their sales downturn was tiny. And yet they still chose to turn 780 peoples lives upside down. We don't need a beginners guide to economics. Profit is good. Greed is not.

Sorry, Mutley, I should perhaps have excised your comment. I was replying to Dolch. I do agree that companies are sometimes too quick to wield the axe. And sometimes not quick enough, as perhaps was the case with Waterford/Wedgwood.

S

S

And you are right and it was not enough for me to simply say "...the company is wealthy". But the issue is about the control of that wealth and what position the ordinary man or woman is placed in by the ownership/distribution of wealth and resources. Marks and Spencers can maintain itself, can keep on paying its shareholders and paying taxes which amount to a huge amount of money yet the financial (and possibly psychological and social) implications for those who have lost their jobs is such to indicate to me how wrong things are.

I don't understand what point you wish to make Mutley. If you can understand basic economics then you must surely recognise that the need to make profit is the driving force behind Marks and Spencer. If get rid of staff the reason is about saving money, and thus either maintaining or improving profits.

If you are happy living in a system where profit making is the motivator for the production and offering of services then you really cannot complain when people lose their jobs and even when things go really tits up. Companies (specifically, the people running and owning them) protect their own interests.

Archived