[BBC News] Wheels fall off van on main road

Newsbot

van my arse, it was an HGV lorry belonging to 'RED scaffolding' .. no wheels on the left rear ( not sure if it was supposed to have 1 or 2 on the end of the axle) perhaps a proper look at the rest of their vehicles is in order just in case??

van my arse, it was an HGV lorry belonging to 'RED scaffolding' .. no wheels on the left rear ( not sure if it was supposed to have 1 or 2 on the end of the axle) perhaps a proper look at the rest of their vehicles is in order just in case??

A vehicle big enough to be an LGV would have two wheels on that axle at either end.

As they're held on with 10 nuts that's a serious case of non maintenance. If the axle shaft came out that's worse.

if its the one from yesterday I'd say it was more of a Van than a lorry/wagon

vans in my world have bodies on the back to put stuff in, not a flat deck to strap stuff on. and i'm sure the vehicle was bigger than transit type flat deck, perhaps there will be a piccy in the indy or courier?? i

The article says "rear nearside wheels" dictates more than one wheel and rules out anything smaller than a LWB Transit.

Time for a proper Transport Manager system, with qualifications other than "I've got a yard and some ramps" type thing.

The article says "rear nearside wheels" dictates more than one wheel and rules out anything smaller than a LWB Transit.

Time for a proper Transport Manager system, with qualifications other than "I've got a yard and some ramps" type thing.

Like those that have been sent out for recent consultation to the industry, for the introduction of a goods vehicle operator licence for the Island.

Strange how the government sought exemption for the forums beloved DOT though........

The transport authorities across are exempt, to a degree. Being civil servants and part of the civil service they are deemed to be regulated automatically. Most, if not all, of their transport managers will be qualified though. Our DoT would be assumed to bew meeting the rules laid down by Tynwald, probably illegal for them to do otherwise but I would be very suprised if their managers weren't qualified already.

Besides this the fees would be payable to the government by the government costing a fortune in admin. What would be the point of threatening them with fines for non-compliance? Please pay yourself £x from your own pocket.

I do declare an interest as a qualified transport manager.

A vehicle big enough to be an LGV would have two wheels on that axle at either end.

As they're held on with 10 nuts that's a serious case of non maintenance. If the axle shaft came out that's worse.

not as dangerous as guessing can be.

Archived