Superstar Dj's

Stu Peters

If I HAD made any NY resolutions, one might have been to find a new 'nice little earner' to pay for my more expensive hobbies.

So (with this in mind) I've just been watching a few MTV-type channels and seen some of these superstar DJ's (Ferry Corsten, DJ Sammy, Scooter et al) and wondered what it takes to be one (apart from youth, which I could possibly fake - or be Grandaddy Master Flash or something).

Seems that you just need to be able to match beats and keep it going seamlessly, mime that you're about to lassoo someone in the audience, and yell stuff like "are you reddeeeee" and "put your hands in de ayre" to the punters.

No doubt there are experts here who will tell me that it's a magical art that many aspire to and few attain. But is it just down to having the right music and a few technical skills? I'm sure I could remix Brain Damage by Pink Floyd into a drum 'n bass hit...

A lot of them are producers as well as DJ's so they make their name that way too. Though if you want to make a bit of cash and bring Carl Cox over for a night in the villa that would be nice. ;)

I've been to de Ayre, it was freezin, but if they set the foghorn going, and put some coloured filters in the lighthouse, it'd be just like one of them sets you're thinking of.

But seriously, you're right, I had a mate who was a hard house DJ, he regularly played sets in the Mitre. He brought his decks round to mine once, and I had a go, and the basics of beatmatching are a piece of piss. Essentially, a 'superstar DJ' epitomises the showbiz personality who has no talent of his own, and lives off the efforts of others. I am not lumping in Producer/Artist/DJ's.

A lot of them are producers as well as DJ's so they make their name that way too.

^ What he said - these 'superstar djs' make their names in tracks they produce. Matt Darey for example started out as a producer and became well known throughout his genre of music across the world. After a number of years, he then made the move into djing. His name was already huge! and he picked it up from there. Much harder to just start out as a dj and rise through the ranks purely on your djing ability.

Dj Sammy - superstar dj ?????? hahahaha

Beatmatching is of course a huge part of it, but not all. You have to know what tracks go with what... and how. No good just throwing it all together.

Have to feel the music, and take the audience on a journey.

Thanks guys. I can do producing (Yosser Hughes mentality).

I have a small midi rig, Cool Edit and a drumbox. I'm going to start experimenting with phat choons and bangin' samples.

...this time next week I'll be famous, with groupies and stuff (do superstar DJ's call them groupies? Or jockettes?)

Are you REDDDDEEEEEEE!!!

Thanks guys. I can do producing (Yosser Hughes mentality).

I have a small midi rig, Cool Edit and a drumbox. I'm going to start experimenting with phat choons and bangin' samples.

...this time next week I'll be famous, with groupies and stuff (do superstar DJ's call them groupies? Or jockettes?)

Are you REDDDDEEEEEEE!!!

Can I be a rhodee (sp) please? For every groupie I'll carry a CD for you.

This chap is crying out for a proper mixing in to da main beats

That gave me a headache. Maybe I waited too long for a second chord...

Archived