To Ans

WTF

if you get complaints, you get complaints. there is no 'need' little or otherwise to do anything. IF you get threatened with legal action that has a chance of stretching your butt hole then perhaps take action. but bending over on command i doubt is your function for the forums. and why close my thread?? it did not refer to DA's or even the other thread by title,( though i have in this one now ) so who complained about my quest for clarity on forum matters?? when you've stood up and wiped yourself let the masses know please.

if you get complaints, you get complaints. there is no 'need' little or otherwise to do anything. IF you get threatened with legal action that has a chance of stretching your butt hole then perhaps take action.

Have you ever had legal action taken against you? Defending yourself is expensive, even if you're not in the wrong. This forum is run by volutneers based on donations and a tiny bit of ad revenue, its not about to start fighting expensive legal cases from something someone like you said. Far simpler to just delete and move on.

my point exactly, but why fold so readilly, and why shut threads where people are debating the toss, the actual subject is already out there like it or not. how many complaints does it take to shut a thread on flower colours??

I don't know, how many complaints does it take to shut a thread on flower colours?

Ans will tell us, don't cut you wrists yet ( apollogies to anyone who knows or as even heard of anyone dying by cutting their own wrists ) c'mon Ans, tell us and lock this thread too, there must be hundreds more people who know or have heard of someone dying of cut wrists compared to what we can't talk about on here?? how many complaints upto now on THIS thread???

I don't think the main point was about litigation, the issues here are: causing offence, decency, ready access of the relatives (and friends) to the forums, and of course timing - as this happened not long ago. In other words, in topics covering death, that can be potential very cruel and emotionally upsetting to named individuals on here - the 'rule' seems to be - don't sh@t on your own doorstep.

If a large number of regular MFers find it offensive, and believe many of their friends would find it offensive, I think it is only fair that their views are respected - even though this view may be misguided as the story is already out there. I do agree actions like this could set a bad precedent though. So good look to the mods on this one.

However, if people really want to carry on debating it, is there not of course the option to subscribe, and debate it in subscribers corner - away from the public arena???

Difficult one.

True Albert.

If some American had accidentally cut his own head off whilst hanging a pair of curtains we would probably all have a little chuckle about it.

But given the locality of the person in question and the likelihood that friends and family would (and did) read the thread then closing it was the right thing to do

I don't think the main point was about litigation, the issues here are: causing offence, decency, ready access of the relatives (and friends) to the forums, and of course timing - as this happened not long ago. In other words, in topics covering death, that can be potential very cruel and emotionally upsetting to named individuals on here - the 'rule' seems to be - don't sh@t on your own doorstep.

If a large number of regular MFers find it offensive, and believe many of their friends would find it offensive, I think it is only fair that their views are respected - even though this view may be misguided as the story is already out there. I do agree actions like this could set a bad precedent though. So good look to the mods on this one.

However, if people really want to carry on debating it, is there not of course the option to subscribe, and debate it in subscribers corner - away from the public arena???

Difficult one.

i have no interest in the subject matter of what was closed, just the censorship imposed. if it was that bad why wasn't the whole thread just deleted rather than leaving it there so people can still read it WITHOUT the right to reply?? a forum that isn't in a way?? perhaps it will be gone soon???

Although I don't want to get in the middle of a bun fight; you might want to check out do what it says

Give special attention to rules 2 and 7, you can't get it much clearer.

Heh, I like this one:

• Manxforums is for the exchange of views, information and opinions in a friendly non judgemental atmosphere.

Archived