Sefton ... More Job Losses

John

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Strand Street is going to look / is already looking dire.

There is a new "regeneration" scheme in motion, I went to the meeting / presentation about it, a while back.

Sounds great on paper, but its not an bottomless pot and I am not the greatest Douglas Development Partnership fan.

The only real option is for us all the stop shopping anywhere but at a local shop.

That is not realistic.

I agree Strand Street is going to look / is already looking dire.

There is a new "regeneration" scheme in motion, I went to the meeting / presentation about it, a while back.

Sounds great on paper, but its not an bottomless pot and I am not the greatest Douglas Development Partnership fan.

The only real option is for us all the stop shopping anywhere but at a local shop.

That is not realistic.

I'll shop local when they can compete with likes of stores across or online.

Waltons charging £1200 for a TV, when online I can get for £700 ( with delivery ).

Its the same with most things here.

I think the only thing I buy local is food TBH but does Tesco count lol.

The days of IOM shops ripping us off are going to be pretty much over, if they had stopped charging people silly prices ( Waltons/Colebourns ) for example then we wouldnt be seeing shops close down.

My old man, he WAS a huge supporter of " shop local ", but even he's had enough of being taken for a ride.

Maybe lessons will be learnt, maybe lessons wont..........I'm praying the Steam Packet get ballsed up soon, they've had it a long time coming.

Get away. How about rates discounts for local business? How about corpie sponsored promotions? Free parking in off peaks? Community events that encourage people into town, etc etc. This is a sales/marketing job just like any other and giving up and putting the solution with the populace doesn't give me much confidence in the corps abilities.

Not that I have any left, after the mess that is Douglas Quay and Promenade.

I'd go into Douglas/Strand Street MUCH more if I could expect to get an easy and cheap (or free) parking spot. Keep the Prom Walkway open for shoppers until May for example and you'll see businesses doing better.

And speeding tickets for anyone doing over 10mph would bring in the money...

I'm sure everyone is aware that local businesses have very high costs. Salaries, rents etc are far higher than in the UK whilst the level of sales potential is very low in comparison to a UK high street retailer. The likes of Curry's etc can purchase at much higher discounts as well. This is bound to make the retailers price expensive in comparison. The alternative is no local shops I suppose? Nobody is going to stay in business to lose money!

Perhaps the answer is lower rents and occupancy costs for retail over the finance sector, (which is awash with cash) to be enforced by local government. A genuine local retailer as opposed to the likes of Boots, etc could be given tax breaks, grants or something to provide both employment and good service/pricing?

This is an allegation which is made at the local motor industry with regularity. You can see how fragile the UK industry is now as large dealer groups who don't have their customer volumes anymore are folding rapidly because they cannot maintain any profit to pay their running costs.

Archived