Sefton ... More Job Losses

John

A mountain-biking friend of mine buys everything online. I posed the question to him that once everyone does the same, the mountain bike shops will ultimately disappear to which he responded that given the "inflated" prices they charge is deserved. I then asked him how he would get his bike serviced online.....

There will still be business to be done servicing bikes. Maybe at the same places where we will be getting our electric cars fixed.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should demolish Port Erin and build Douglas v2.0 there.

Just imagine it, a properly designed shopping area, decent pubs and nightclubs, plentiful free parking, lots of entertainment facilities and of course a monorail.

Vote me for MHK and I will make it a reality

it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area, but at the same time.. something like this is needed although economically now is not the best time to put something like this into motion.

There was talk, and i'm sure.. from someone's point of view still is, the view of developing the south side of Cooil Rd into a retail park. In my opinion, this would take more businesses out of the centre for cheaper rent rather than attract new companies in.

I'm sure many developers will play on the economic downturn to try and get planning approval on the prospect of creating jobs, government wouldn't want to be seen turning down the creation of work in the building sector during these tough times. I think certain schemes may go ahead that may have been turned down initially.

On the front of customer service, My boss and I went into a local retailer with the view of buying some new LCD monitors, and quite a few at that. We were the only two in the shop and spent 15 minutes looking around without any acknowledgment from the staff, so we left. Yes some shops are all over you like a rash when you walk in which is annoying, but not even being acknowledged was rediculous.

Online shops have a high turnover of goods so can afford to have a smaller profit margin, but you have to admit some prices locally are excessive. My Lounge TV was £524 cheaper online for the exact model, do they only work on the fact they only need to sell one TV a day to survive?

I love how this topic has changed from Job Losses to this!

it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area,

They could use some of the £8million green lit for "town and village regeneration scheme"....

Maybe we should forward these ideas fo the Douglas Development Partnership.... linky

they could build it outside of douglas town centre with NO compulsory purchase and give the place a HUGE carpark with CCTV cameras. then give the strand street traders favourable rates to move into it with their current businesses and turn strand street into whatever. more charity shops perhaps??

it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area, but at the same time.. something like this is needed

It would be an awful folly. All - in - one grand schemes always inevitably are. 20 years on it would need pulling down again. Places which work well evolve organically.

it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area, but at the same time.. something like this is needed

It would be an awful folly. All - in - one grand schemes always inevitably are. 20 years on it would need pulling down again. Places which work well evolve organically.

like Douglas or Ramsey's Town Centre?

it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area,

They could use some of the £8million green lit for "town and village regeneration scheme"....

Maybe we should forward these ideas fo the Douglas Development Partnership.... linky

they could build it outside of douglas town centre with NO compulsory purchase and give the place a HUGE carpark with CCTV cameras. then give the strand street traders favourable rates to move into it with their current businesses and turn strand street into whatever. more charity shops perhaps??

Although cheaper to build, cheaper rent and less parking/congestion problems... Town centre shopping is more centred around a convenient housing and working population. People haven't got the time or resources during their lunch hours or free day's to get out of town for a bit of convenince shopping.

although i'm sure the Isle of Man has the retired and dole population to support these developments, those with time on their hands!

like Douglas or Ramsey's Town Centre?

Exactly. St Pauls square in Ramsey is a legacy to brutal 1960s design. The 'units' around the Co Op car park represent cheap 80s design. And the 2 mini shopping centres in Douglas.

Unit based planning is a recipe for a lack of any character or diversity.

Slinky, I'm sure lots of people do buy clothes online, but nowhere near 'most'. It's still a minority.

The simple fact is that the (low) cost of parking is not a factor in Strand Street's problems.

Course it's a factor. Mightn't be a big part of it, but it factors in, even slightly.

The simple fact is that the (low) cost of parking is an infinitesimally small factor in Strand Street's problems.

People who can't afford to pay a tiny car parking fee are not exactly going to be big spenders.

S

This topic seems to have gone off the original topic of the Sefton and the fact that within Sefton, Hilton, Paramount & Tapas at Clinch's they have made people redundant.

Presumably these outfits are not offering people what they want.

I've heard from colleagues that Tapas at Clinch's started off well and went down the pan not long after. Diabolical service and poor food...sounds familiar.

People have the money to spend here, but they want value and an offering that makes it worth their while to turn out. H & B have finally realised that, albeit too late IMHO.

I've heard from colleagues that Tapas at Clinch's started off well and went down the pan not long after. Diabolical service and poor food...sounds familiar.

Its a laugh if you ring them up. The place is always empty but if you ring and try to book they do the whole we'll have to check the diary, phone holds, silence, more silence, pages flick, yes I think we can fit you in at that time. Yes because the place is totally bloody empty I imagined that you could.

Archived