Sefton ... More Job Losses

John

Tapas isn't everyone's cup of tea, but they seem to be ok towards the end of the week. been ok when i've been in.

Never thought to book but just popped in after a nights work.

I've always wondered how some of these hotels can still maintain staffing levels out of season. Now that these companies are all under the one hat they can save money by pooling resources.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it would be a massive investment for government to compulsary purchase and build a massive covered shopping area,

They could use some of the £8million green lit for "town and village regeneration scheme"....

Maybe we should forward these ideas fo the Douglas Development Partnership.... linky

they could build it outside of douglas town centre with NO compulsory purchase and give the place a HUGE carpark with CCTV cameras. then give the strand street traders favourable rates to move into it with their current businesses and turn strand street into whatever. more charity shops perhaps??

Build it they will come!! 5.gif2.gif

I am not too surprised this group has difficulties. In the last few years they have bought a lot of property and business. From memory and these sums may be wrong, the Castle Mona cost £3m, Paramount £1.2m, Golf Links £1.2m. Add to that Hilton, Clinches, Parkies and some other acquisitions, there is a lot of money involved and it will be a real challenge for them to survive as the arse drops out of the economy.

A mountain-biking friend of mine buys everything online. I posed the question to him that once everyone does the same, the mountain bike shops will ultimately disappear to which he responded that given the "inflated" prices they charge is deserved. I then asked him how he would get his bike serviced online.....

There will still be business to be done servicing bikes. Maybe at the same places where we will be getting our electric cars fixed.

I spent £300 on a piece of bike kit last year at Bikestyle - I wanted it immediately and I do try to support that shop because of the amount of workshop stuff they do for me, (sometimes free of charge!). Later checked the internet price and absolutely no difference at all. I rate this shop, and particularly their workshop manager, very highly, and would hate people to think they are always selling at 'inflated' prices.

I spent £300 on a piece of bike kit last year at Bikestyle - I wanted it immediately and I do try to support that shop because of the amount of workshop stuff they do for me, (sometimes free of charge!). Later checked the internet price and absolutely no difference at all. I rate this shop, and particularly their workshop manager, very highly, and would hate people to think they are always selling at 'inflated' prices.

Local bike shops are very close to internet prices when it comes to bikes, and I'd buy a full bike local anyway so you get the backup and support. I think the bike manufacturers still work like dealerships, which makes it hard for the internet suppliers to discount.

Local bike shops are a lot more expensive on accessories and clothes though.

I agree Bikestyle are way ahead of the retail game, you go in the guys have real customer service skills, know what they are talking about, you can tell Gavin loves his job (ok he owns the shop).

But they do have a very select market place.

General retailers have it so much harder when every Mooches and his dog sells what you sell.

Maybe its time to reduce the number of shopping units? Maybe offer incentives to the businesses located along the stretch running from the Picnic Basket to Regency Travel, compulsory purchase, demolish and open that area up to provide a proper square.

Perhaps.

Maybe its time to reduce the number of shopping units? Maybe offer incentives to the businesses located along the stretch running from the Picnic Basket to Regency Travel, compulsory purchase, demolish and open that area up to provide a proper square.

Perhaps.

Square = good

Less shops = bad

From MR: Island could attract more European visitors

"The UK is our main source of business and, apart from the job losses and lack of confidence - which are affecting holiday decisions - we understand from our monitoring of the situation that people are more likely to cut back on their small weekend breaks throughout the year, while trying to preserve their main holiday."

Are we actually seeing any indication of a 'benefit' from this yet? UK resorts and caravan sites etc. are already reporting bookings up, any hoteliers/renters seeing any evidence of this yet i.e. addiional early bookings?

Picking a random couple of dates in July for a return trip from the UK to the island with a car, 2 adults and 2 kids varies from £198 to £346 with the Steam Racket. The same dates to cross the channel with the same family is £94. Then there's accomodation on top, and the weather, and things to do to consider.

Who's kidding who here?

Archived