[BBC News] Increase in 999 calls to 50 a day

Newsbot

999 bypasses locked keypads.

As I found out a few years ago when my small son accidentally dialled 999 on my mobile. He must have hung up again because they called the number back to make sure everything was OK. I had to explain and apologise but they were fine about it.

Emergency services dealt with about 50 calls a day during 2008 in the Isle of Man, figures show.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7821001.stm

How many of those were real emergencies?

The figures show the calls that went through to the control room, the figures dont show how many calls went through to the operator before being passed over to the control room. Effectivly the calls are filtered before they get to the emergency services.

I'm not too sure what the thrust of this report is. Is 50 a day a lot of calls or just a few? Are we supposed to be astounded or dismayed or what.

A different scenario I appreciate, but I once worked in a local Government building repairs department where 400 calls a day was the norm.

Is this all another case of Government paid people doing their job and getting a pat on the back for it.

At the bottom of all these Government "News" releases there is usually an attempt to justify spending a pile of cash somewhere.

Anyway, thank you British Broadcasting Corporation for bringing this to us. I wonder should there be a headline:

"Three BBC employees on the Isle of Man dealt with 50 News item in 2008"

I'm not too sure what the thrust of this report is. Is 50 a day a lot of calls or just a few? Are we supposed to be astounded or dismayed or what.

A different scenario I appreciate, but I once worked in a local Government building repairs department where 400 calls a day was the norm.

Is this all another case of Government paid people doing their job and getting a pat on the back for it.

At the bottom of all these Government "News" releases there is usually an attempt to justify spending a pile of cash somewhere.

Anyway, thank you British Broadcasting Corporation for bringing this to us. I wonder should there be a headline:

"Three BBC employees on the Isle of Man dealt with 50 News item in 2008"

50 calls in 24 hours=lots of time to play sudoku and solitaire

That filtering is a real pain when you have a real emergency. Several times I have rung up due to serious sporting injuries at my club and I have been left fuming that I have to go through a long rig marole before you gets through to the control room or whatever and an ambulance is sent. I appreciate they need to check but if there in a person on the ground badly hurt surely the priority must be to the ambulance moving whilst they go through the long list of questions rather than as it appears occasionaly the other way around.

I appreciate that on a Saturday afternnon it can take a whilst for an ambulance to come as I think only three are on duty and they may be strategically placed around the Island but "waistng" several minutes on top of that whilst they filter is annoying. Especially since they seem to judge response time from the moment you get past filtering not from when you actually ring!

The figures show the calls that went through to the control room, the figures dont show how many calls went through to the operator before being passed over to the control room. Effectivly the calls are filtered before they get to the emergency services.

That filtering is a real pain when you have a real emergency. Several times I have rung up due to serious sporting injuries at my club and I have been left fuming that I have to go through a long rig marole before you gets through to the control room or whatever and an ambulance is sent. I appreciate they need to check but if there in a person on the ground badly hurt surely the priority must be to the ambulance moving whilst they go through the long list of questions rather than as it appears occasionaly the other way around.

I appreciate that on a Saturday afternnon it can take a whilst for an ambulance to come as I think only three are on duty and they may be strategically placed around the Island but "waistng" several minutes on top of that whilst they filter is annoying. Especially since they seem to judge response time from the moment you get past filtering not from when you actually ring!

I don't understand you? As far as I understand from speaking to some of the ESCR operators:

You dial 999 and get answered by a Manx Telecom Operator asking "Emergency - Which service do you require? They also ask for your phone number. They then put the call through to the Emergency Services Control Room and when the Operator there answers, the MT Operator says something like "Ambulance call from 412345" and the ESCR operator takes over the call. You say "Someone has broken their leg on the football field at wherever" and they type it into their computer. As soon as the address is confirmed, it will pop up on another ESCR operator's screen who will look to see where the nearest Ambulance is and send them on their way.

Whilst this is going on, the first ESCR operator is asking you lots of questions about is the person conscious and breathing, any bleeding, any dangers around the area etc etc along with the callers details and the patients details. These are all entered on the computer and the second ESCR operator will update the Ambulance crew (who should be on their way by now) with further details so that they have some idea as to what to expect. It also means that when they arrive, they can make sure the right equipment is taken to the scene i.e. if it is a broken leg, then they won't need to take a defib, but would need to take a splint and some pain relieaving gas.

If when the first call comes in, all the Ambulances are busy, then there may be a slight delay in sending the Ambulance whilst the questions are being asked about the casualtys condition as this is used to help prioritise the call. It maybe that an ambulance on their way to one job could be diverted to another one if it is more serious.

For an Ambulance call, the first ESCR operator usually stays on the phone line to the caller until the Ambulance arrives or they are happy that the condition of the patient isn't going to deteriate before the ambulance arrives.

I also understand that if there is say a road accident and the Police, Fire and Ambulance are all needed, then this is counted as 3 seperate incidents or calls.

I always enjoy a good dig at a politician's waffle.

However, I have to say that I have had unfortunate occasions to call 999.

The service at the end of the phone and when the police or ambulance arrived was always speedy and professional.

Archived