[BBC News] Ferry services cancelled by firm

Newsbot

I don't understand why they persist in buying vessels which are more expensive to run and more liable to service disruptions due to damage or bad weather than conventional craft. I'd say that having fewer and longer sailings which run 98% of the time would be better for the company and it's customers than a service which is scheduled to be more frequent and faster, but which is often cancelled. If the new fast craft doesn't prove substantially more reliable than the existing one over the coming year, the Steam Packet needs to make a serious reassessment of their fleet requirements.

serious reassessment of their fleet requirements

you forget their optimum approach is to run a trailer only (or mainly) freight service during the winter service + fast craft with just about capacity to justify fares twice those charged elsewhere for similar distances as there is no competition - seems to me they are nearly there now

I don't understand why they persist in buying vessels which are more expensive to run and more liable to service disruptions due to damage or bad weather than conventional craft. I'd say that having fewer and longer sailings which run 98% of the time would be better for the company and it's customers than a service which is scheduled to be more frequent and faster, but which is often cancelled. If the new fast craft doesn't prove substantially more reliable than the existing one over the coming year, the Steam Packet needs to make a serious reassessment of their fleet requirements.

you tell 'em fella !

we all just love being rollicked around in gales for hours and hours on end not knowing when you'll ever get to the other side or having to divert to Peel, and having all the plates going crashing in the galley, oh how I wish I could be on a boat like that, sitting on wooden benches out by the side and getting splashed by water through the gaps in the sliding doors when you hit a big'un :D (but the silver service in the dining room is nice)

serious reassessment of their fleet requirements

you forget their optimum approach is to run a trailer only (or mainly) freight service during the winter service + fast craft with just about capacity to justify fares twice those charged elsewhere for similar distances as there is no competition - seems to me they are nearly there now

Seems reasonable to me that passenger capacity should be reduced over the winter - I've rarely been on a boat in the off-season that's operating at capacity, other than perhaps at Christmas when there's a lot of people visiting relatives.

I'm not saying that fares are not overpriced, but you do have to take into account specific features of the route when comparing prices. I have no doubt that it's possible to get lower fares mile-for-mile on other routes, but the high volume of traffic has something to do with that. As has been raised in other threads, routes to the Isle of Man cannot sustain multiple competing operators.

you tell 'em fella !

we all just love being rollicked around in gales for hours and hours on end not knowing when you'll ever get to the other side or having to divert to Peel, and having all the plates going crashing in the galley, oh how I wish I could be on a boat like that, sitting on wooden benches out by the side and getting splashed by water through the gaps in the sliding doors when you hit a big'un :D (but the silver service in the dining room is nice)

Ah those were the days... although they usually closed the outside areas when it was 'a bit fresh' :) Seriously though - I've always found crossings on a conventional ferry far more comfortable than a fast craft in comparable conditions at anything beyond flat calm, and still pretty comfortable at wave heights well beyond those that the fast craft can sail in. Of course when you get to high gale forces and storm forces it can be a bit uncomfortable, but at least you still get there.

OOOhh! Must get panic buying!

Oh no you mustn't - slowly drop that shopping basket and step away from those shelves - we don't want a repeat of the Tesco Christmasshop Massacre now, do we?

Surely we don't need to worry. I am constantly told that any shortfall in imported food can be made up by Manx farmers - food security is, after all, the reason why we pay these wealthy landowners massive subsidies out of the public purse.

Most Manx farmers don't fall into the category of wealthy landowners.

S

Surely we don't need to worry. I am constantly told that any shortfall in imported food can be made up by Manx farmers - food security is, after all, the reason why we pay these wealthy landowners massive subsidies out of the public purse.

Most Manx farmers don't fall into the category of wealthy landowners.

No millionaire landowners would be a much more accurate assessment.

Archived