Google Searches Generate Same Co2 As Boiling A Kettle

Bombay Bad Boy

What is the objective here, though? Are we meant to live our lives so that the net amount of 'resource' we have consumed is nil?

Christopher Hitchens commented that the green movement were taking on a striking similarity to religion - "To the environmentalists, Mankind has its own form of 'original sin' - just being here". I suspect wild elephants don't have campaigns amongst themselves to think twice about completely stripping the vegetation of the land they pass through...

Wasn't there some UK Government directive to have interet access in all homes by a certain date? I can't remember when it was (2012, 2015 or 2020)?

Will they be looking at that now in light of this? (I'd Google it but hey, I don't wanna upset teh tree huggerz).

no linkage, basic physics

Googles response:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/pow...gle-search.html

Recently, though, others have used much higher estimates, claiming that a typical search uses "half the energy as boiling a kettle of water" and produces 7 grams of CO2. We thought it would be helpful to explain why this number is *many* times too high. Google is fast — a typical search returns results in less than 0.2 seconds. Queries vary in degree of difficulty, but for the average query, the servers it touches each work on it for just a few thousandths of a second. Together with other work performed before your search even starts (such as building the search index) this amounts to 0.0003 kWh of energy per search, or 1 kJ. For comparison, the average adult needs about 8000 kJ a day of energy from food, so a Google search uses just about the same amount of energy that your body burns in ten seconds.

Archived