[BBC News] Service honours lifeboat founder

Newsbot

The Isle of Man-based founder of the RNLI is honoured in an annual commemorative service.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7823014.stm

Sad how he died pennyless and buried in an unremarkable grave. I think the first commemorative plaque made about him was, not long after his death, removed and stored in the cellar of the town hall. Or something like that anyway, just found it suprising how little care was taken to commemorate him shortly after he died, Samuel Norris comments on it in 'Manx Memories and Movements'.

Dont know enough of Hilary because there seems to be two contradictory views

1 The public spirited charitable saint

2 The public subscription long firm con man

As he was deeply involved with my family at the time, i suspect the latter.

Anyone have more details?

Dont know enough of Hilary because there seems to be two contradictory views

1 The public spirited charitable saint

2 The public subscription long firm con man

As he was deeply involved with my family at the time, i suspect the latter.

Anyone have more details?

What do you mean about the second view?

I have but little info but somewhere, maybe in family, it was reckoned he was "resting" on the island from his creditors.

While here he promoted public subscription "charities" where only a small % of monies raised actually went to the project [deja vu here] The rest went to hmm hmm expenses.

I seem to remember a dodgy auction of his, re the lands at Victoria Road, Manx radio did a great programme about it some 15 years ago.

I may me doing the guy a diservice and im happy to be found wrong. [cmon, if he was in bed with my lot he had to be bent]

I think the first commemorative plaque made about him was, not long after his death, removed and stored in the cellar of the town hall. Or something like that anyway, just found it suprising how little care was taken to commemorate him shortly after he died, Samuel Norris comments on it in 'Manx Memories and Movements'.

Are you confusing this with the brass plaque on the now demolished shelter on Harris terrace (close to a onetime 2nd Douglas lifeboat station) - see refs at http://www.manxnotebook.com/people/residnts/whillary.htm

Re his finances - wasn't he caught up and ruined in the failure of Wulff & Forbes Jt Stock bank in 1843 this was probably crooked but I'm not sure he was involved

I think the first commemorative plaque made about him was, not long after his death, removed and stored in the cellar of the town hall. Or something like that anyway, just found it suprising how little care was taken to commemorate him shortly after he died, Samuel Norris comments on it in 'Manx Memories and Movements'.

Are you confusing this with the brass plaque on the now demolished shelter on Harris terrace (close to a onetime 2nd Douglas lifeboat station) - see refs at http://www.manxnotebook.com/people/residnts/whillary.htm

Re his finances - wasn't he caught up and ruined in the failure of Wulff & Forbes Jt Stock bank in 1843 this was probably crooked but I'm not sure he was involved

Yes, that must be it.

I seem to remember a dodgy auction of his, re the lands at Victoria Road, Manx radio did a great programme about it some 15 years ago.

This is probably the lottery sale of part of Castle Mona estate in 1830's - it was won by John Stanway Jackson, manager of the Bank of Mona who built Falcon Cliff 1838/9 then in 1855 the Bank of Mona building now known as the Wedding Cake - it may well have been rigged competition but then the skeet always suggests such things.

Hillary came in 1808 partly due to financial considerations as the Island was a safe resort for those pursued by creditors elsewhere but I thought there was also some irregularity in his matrimonial affairs - however he later married well as did his son from early marriage

:) The hypocrisy of the church goers never ceases to amuse me and now I am one of them but, at least I know I have no right being there (although that could be argued because my reasons for being there were 'terribly Christian'). Mollag and others comments about Sir William Hillary remind me of the stories you hear about our mighty Illiam Dhone, they were a bunch of crooked gits back in the day (not much has changed there then). It was a nice service, the Bishop was there and the archdeacon and 4 vicars and a lady with a silver bird on a stick although, Im not really sure what that was all about. LDV the grave is not too shoddy, I wouldnt say no to a fancy tomb like his when I'm gone (I wouldnt say yes either, coz I'd be dead, but anyway...). I am sure I saw a photographer there when the wreath was being laid, WTF?? which second rate 'Douglas celebrity' will be in the peaper? (I'm the one with the bird on a stick....)

What ever else he did, the lift boats & crews are ace.

Like many people, he was something of a mixture. He had a poor head for business, and was often in scrapes, but he was the onlie begetter of the lifeboat service, and was not averse to leaping into the sea himself on a cold wintry night to rescue those in peril on the sea.

Although technically a come-over, the island became his home, and I can't think of any island resident who has done more for humanity.

S

His 2nd wife was Emma Tobin of Middle farm,

another interesting comeover family - descended from John Tobyn periwig maker and his co-habitee (they were regularly presented for living in sin) Mary Geenwood - his son Pat produced a large family including Amelia (or Emma - who married late in life) and her older brother later Sir John Tobin of Liverpool

Archived