Paying Your Tax Bill

Lee54

I'd call them up and query it. If debit cards are free to use then they might have slapped the handling fee on in error.

Incidentally, did you pay by Visa Debit Card and if so, did you tell them it was a Visa debit card or just a Visa?

I wouldn't trust the government to take a debit card payment over the phone anyway. The lack of a paper trail would concern me with that lot. I prefer to have an IOM Bank stamped reciept!

To be honest, I do not actually know why places charge for taking credit card payments. What sort of administration is covered by the charge?

Credit card/charge card suppliers charge companies for processing credit card payments – this will range from around 1 to 5 per cent depending on the service/goods offered by the company, the level of risk (MOTO and online transactions being classified as the most risky) and the volume of business. This charge pays for the infrastructure and goes someway to funding the Section 75 protection which comes when paying by a credit card.

In the case of debit cards the charge is much less – from 0p to 50p – this will be dependent on the type of debit card and volume of business. This charge covers the infrastructure behind getting the money from your account to the retailers account.

I have no problem with retailers who pass the credit card charge on, but it is really is taking the proverbial for the likes of Flybe to charge £1.50 per sector for debit card payments.

Archived