So The Beers Gone Back Up

pokerman

Brewery said the price reduction was to run for one month, looks like they have got rid of all the old stock a lot sooner than the they though

Which is fair enough. I'd rather they came out and said that rather than all this 'happy new year to loyal customer' bollocks.

"It's a sale, we're dumping stock, enjoy it wile it lasts" would have been a far more credible corporate line.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So soon what a surprise.

I wonder if the newspapers would already care to retract the shitty hatchet job they tried to do on martin brunchweiller in the Examiner suggesting that he's going to have loads of regulars leave because the brewery was now so much cheaper than Bushy's pubs. As I read the report in the back of my mind I was guessing H&Bs obviously spend a lot more on advertising than Bushy's as the reporter seemed to be more than halfway up H&Bs arse.

I wonder if they'll change their story now?

That headline was horrible anyway - CHEERS! in big bold letters - what kind of message is that sending out? Fuck all happened so we make a big deal out of the fact that we can get pissed cheaper - poor, very poor...

That headline was horrible anyway - CHEERS! in big bold letters - what kind of message is that sending out? Fuck all happened so we make a big deal out of the fact that we can get pissed cheaper - poor, very poor...

I just thought it the height of cheek. Martins beer has been cheap for years but the brewery do a price reduction and some jumped up tosspot from the papers suggests he might lose loads of his regulars because the brewery are now so ace. I think that people would trust Martin to keep his prices low long term rather than H&Bs on the basis that he has a good track record in providing value for money and the brewery don't.

I just thought it the height of cheek. Martins beer has been cheap for years but the brewery do a price reduction and some jumped up tosspot from the papers suggests he might lose loads of his regulars because the brewery are now so ace. I think that people would trust Martin to keep his prices low long term rather than H&Bs on the basis that he has a good track record in providing value for money and the brewery don't.

I'll second the above.

H & B pulled a cheap stunt and had the nerve to blame the economic downturn and the smoking ban for a drop in takings.

As for a gesture of goodwill to thank their loyal customers over the years, they don't know the meaning of the word 'goodwill'.

This will leave a nasty taste in the mouths of many of their loyal customers, and they deserve better.

We can expect the usual price rise in Feb (blame it on the manufacturers), followed by the UK budget rise (with a bit extra on top courtesy of H & B), another rise before TT and one in November.

No wonder most of the pubs are so quiet, and stunts like this will do nothing to entice people out to support the pubs.

The Rovers has the best beer anyway, regardless of cost, cracking pint (almost) every time.

And, as i've pointed out before, a real fire!

I don't understand some (all?) of H&B's decisions. They knew from evidence elsewhere that the smoking ban and rising prices would mean more people would drink at home yet they closed their main off licence!

From a personal point of view, I don't go out to pubs very often because most are crap and not due to the price of beer. I'm sick of walking into an H & B "refurb" to be confronted by interiors apparently designed by a chimp on acid. C'est la Vie and the Railway for example...no 3 feet of wall the same design...part fake panelled drawing room, part chav-type "bar" with shiny fittings, too loud to hold a fucking conversation.

Most managers appear to have no fucking idea how to run a 100 metres let alone a licensed premises. But for them they get paid the same salary whether the place is dead or not. They're usually nowhere to be seen behind the bar. Places run for the benefit of the staff not the customer. H & B have fucked the pubs in the IOM over the last 20 years or so.

The Rovers is ok, but for fucks sake you might as well piss on the bloody floor in the mens' bog. Bloody stinks and no amount of money spent there for a few years by the look (and smell) of it.

The Rovers is ok, but for fucks sake you might as well piss on the bloody floor in the mens' bog. Bloody stinks and no amount of money spent there for a few years by the look (and smell) of it.

Did you ever go in Bushys? Docs only in those bogs - maybe the Rovers is trying to recreate that? And, to be fair, Mark was mopping it the other day!

Maybe if we were still allowed to smoke the smell would not be so noticeable.

Fucking smoking ban...grrr.

For the record, the tradep press has already published the next price increases, all starting in February.

Guinness 5.4%

S&N Brands (John Smiths, Fosters, 1664 etc) 5.7%

Coors (Carling, Grolsch/Grolsch Blond) 5.7%

The UK Chansoller has also announced that he will be increasing duty in March by 4p ABOVE THE RATE OF INFLATION. The recent VAT reduction was cancelled out on beer by a duty increase - which is to remain in place when the VAT goes back up next year, putting the price up again.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a law banning pubs, it seem to be what the powers to be are trying to achieve!!

Maybe if we were still allowed to smoke the smell would not be so noticeable.

You could have had your nose cut off and be standing in a bucket of shit and you could still smell the stench of the bogs in the Rovers. Its the only thing that lets the pub down, foul, filthy and totally disgraceful.

The Rovers still stinks! Lol,lol.............. after all that fuss when I dared to mention it ! So, if they can't keep the lavatory clean, why should they keep the kitchen clean?

Urinating in the kitchen may be an acceptable practice in your home, but I doubt that it's allowed in a public house.

The Rovers still stinks! Lol,lol.............. after all that fuss when I dared to mention it ! So, if they can't keep the lavatory clean, why should they keep the kitchen clean?

Urinating in the kitchen may be an acceptable practice in your home, but I doubt that it's allowed in a public house.

You've not been in the Bowling Green recently then?

For the record, the tradep press has already published the next price increases, all starting in February.

Guinness 5.4%

S&N Brands (John Smiths, Fosters, 1664 etc) 5.7%

Coors (Carling, Grolsch/Grolsch Blond) 5.7%

The UK Chansoller has also announced that he will be increasing duty in March by 4p ABOVE THE RATE OF INFLATION. The recent VAT reduction was cancelled out on beer by a duty increase - which is to remain in place when the VAT goes back up next year, putting the price up again.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a law banning pubs, it seem to be what the powers to be are trying to achieve!!

if only that was the alcohol percentage you were quoting!

Archived