Strand Street - Dead & Dying...

Amadeus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back strictly on topic....

What a fucken Street we have.

What a fucken capital Town we have.

What a fucken shit hole of a fucken country this Island is.

Jeepers since when did shops constitute the value of anywhere?

Take a look around - the countryside, the hills, the coast they're all fantastic. I think we're very lucky to live in such a beautiful country. Judge it for what it is, not because it hasn't got a f*cking ASDA or something.

Back strictly on topic....

What a fucken Street we have.

What a fucken capital Town we have.

What a fucken shit hole of a fucken country this Island is.

Take a look around - the countryside, the hills, the coast they're all fantastic. I think we're very lucky to live in such a beautiful country. Judge it for what it is, not because it hasn't got a f*cking ASDA or something.

What he ^^ said

[

Well said.

And town isn't that bad either. It's struggling post christmas and there's a lot of empty units, but thats the same everywhere. Tesco's, Next, Boots and M&S have dominated and now the little places or the ones that struggled can't survive. Same everywhere.

[

Well said.

And town isn't that bad either. It's struggling post christmas and there's a lot of empty units, but thats the same everywhere. Tesco's, Next, Boots and M&S have dominated and now the little places or the ones that struggled can't survive. Same everywhere.

Should've also added apart from the physical beauty of our island, it's a generally peaceful and friendly society. It's still a place where people say 'hello' in the street and you can go into a pub and enjoy a yarn and a laugh.

Maybe I'm simple (true) getting pleasure from simple things?

I'm sorry.

The state of our main shopping area should not be taken as an indication of our society's character.

There are indeed some lovely pleasant beaches. And the beautiful gorse and heather, to say nothing of the vibrancy of the fuschia, which all instill insuch woeful charm and feelings. The lapping of the peaceful sandy shores are so soothing and calming especially when juxtoposed with the glorious sunsets.

However,

The Isle of Man is still a place that is largely run on the principles of a shower of greedy, nasty, vicious, self-centerd, bastards that are long overdue their day of reckoning.

ps

vote for %age

However,

The Isle of Man is still a place that is largely run on the principles of a shower of greedy, nasty, vicious, self-centerd, bastards that are long overdue their day of reckoning.

ps

vote for %age

Well then, I'm with you a 100% on that sentiment.

My better-half & myself are now living in Cheshire and have to admit am really missing IOM after living there for 18 months and leaving the island in March last year. OK shops on island seem to be disappearing but last Wednesday we were broken into. Made a right mess and took all the things that we'd worked hard for (little sh**s). Seriously thinking about moving back. Liked the people (OK the were a few flakes but you get them anywhere) and the relatively laid-back approach to life. One of the few places where the majority are decent folks.

As an ex-owner of a store that was in the main street for many years, i thought i should point out that the people who feel that the amount of choice in our high street in poor are indeed correct.

It's not London, there is simply not enough money being spent to sustain a reasonable amount of choice.

Many times when buying in stock we would try new lines only to be disappointed with the sales.

I've heard it many times from both sides, the public complaining about the 'limited choices available' and the local business owners who buy in the latest craze/fashions which then end up having such a long shelf life as to make them a bad investment.

it's sad to see the empty shops but after hearing George Carlin's words in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5Xm5RYTRY i have tried not to evaluate anywhere based on it shopping centres!

Agree that it is not the shopping which makes the IOM, (I don't shop for fun, it is a necessity); that is just one aspect of living here. But it is a sign of a trend where internet shopping is making the high street of any town unviable. It will be more marked here because the choice of shops was limited even when Strand Street had full occupancy. Perhaps we haven't just seen a downturn with the expectation of a resurgence, but a permanent change in the retail landscape.

Archived