Strand Street - Dead & Dying...

Amadeus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can hardly blame Strand Street for Woolies, MK One and Adams going.

Reckon it could create some sort of spiral effect over here, though? Less shops in town - less reasons to go shopping there, more reasons to shop online or go across, which in turn would affect the remaining shops even more.

Reckon it could create some sort of spiral effect over here, though? Less shops in town - less reasons to go shopping there, more reasons to shop online or go across, which in turn would affect the remaining shops even more.

There's a lot of half empty glasses on this forum! How about: less shops in town, more money spent in the ones that are left, making them more viable?

We're all to blame here, Tesco does stationary, kitchenware, electronics, games, books, oh and food and we buy it. This is our fault, you can't have your cake and eat it.

There's a lot of half empty glasses on this forum! How about: less shops in town, more money spent in the ones that are left, making them more viable?

We're all to blame here, Tesco does stationary, kitchenware, electronics, games, books, oh and food and we buy it. This is our fault, you can't have your cake and eat it.

It's pointless small shops trying to compete supplying goods which can be got more easily from the internet or Tescos.

France has had successful hypermarkets since at least the early 70s but is also a country in which small traders are still popular and viable. There is no reason why volume trading cannot exist comfortably alongside high quality niche trading.

It's pointless small shops trying to compete supplying goods which can be got more easily from the internet or Tescos.

France has had successful hypermarkets since at least the early 70s but is also a country in which small traders are still popular and viable. There is no reason why volume trading cannot exist comfortably alongside high quality niche trading.

France has managed the planning process differently. Yes, it has out of town hypermarkets, but it doesn't have much in the way of city centre super markets. They've done this to protect the small retailer. We've got supermarkets right next door to independent traders.

The whole credit crunch has been caused by over-priced assets, and yet property owners insist on still charging unrealistic rents which will do nothing but force more and more shops to close. Apparently on the mannin line on Sunday, it was mentioned that the estimated annual rent for woollies was around the £300K per annum mark. I know a couple of people who are paying OTT rents down there, who just can't see themselves lasting the year. All this will inevitably lead to a drop in the price of commercial property IMO if it hasn't already happened.

Historically, commercial property price drops have always led house price drops. A continuing-to-empty strand street represents significant symbolism to people, and as a result will inevitably lead to less spending and all that goes with that. The government and corpy have had many good years to help sort it all out, but have sat on their hands and did nothing. Even when it is busy, the street is still a relative dump compared to the shopping experience elsewhere.

France has managed the planning process differently. Yes, it has out of town hypermarkets, but it doesn't have much in the way of city centre super markets. They've done this to protect the small retailer. We've got supermarkets right next door to independent traders.

Same here in Switzerland - 1,200 live in my small place yet we have two small supermarkerts, butcher, baker (!) and various other shops. And it's clean, it's looked after.

It's the non-existent planning on the Island that is the cause of the problems, IMO the Island is managed by buffoons.

Same here in Switzerland - 1,200 live in my small place yet we have two small supermarkerts, butcher, baker (!) and various other shops. And it's clean, it's looked after.

It's the non-existent planning on the Island that is the cause of the problems, IMO the Island is managed by buffoons.

and you know this how..??

and you know this how..??

Moved to the Island in 1962, been living there and elsewhere ever since. Open your eyes!

That's why I won't buy a telly from M&S.

Mind you, Waltons are making it damn hard to even think about buying from them as they don't seem to want to reply to my phone calls.

... property owners insist on still charging unrealistic rents which will do nothing but force more and more shops to close. Apparently on the mannin line on Sunday, it was mentioned that the estimated annual rent for woollies was around the £300K per annum mark.

A point that I was about to make. How many stores would be willing to invest that amount of money on an annual basis in order to occupy a site surrounded by other failed businesses and with a maximum catchment of 80,000 potential customers?

That's why I won't buy a telly from M&S.

Mind you, Waltons are making it damn hard to even think about buying from them as they don't seem to want to reply to my phone calls.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't vote with my quids unless the value's there. I do use a butcher, I can tell her what cuts I need and she adds value. I use a farm shop or buy direct from a farmer, I think the age of the veg is less, and I know whats in em.

In the case of a TV, I went to colebourns, in their sale the exact same TV was significantly more expensive. M&S offer a local 5 year warrantee for the same set for loads less dosh. Why shouldn't I?

I hate it, but I'm not daft enough to pass it up.

I think personally that local shops have to give up competing, and offer things the internet and chains cant. Like I'd never buy a bike online, I want to be fitted, I want advice, I want support.

Archived