Strand Street - Dead & Dying...

Amadeus

Are there people shopping in town nowadays or is it just the young mums and unemployed walking up and down all day?

Having 'the shopping experience' doesn't mean you have to buy things.

Strolling in the shopping mall came from America.

If they only went to the shops when they needed things people would probably go to Strand Street once a month.

Maybe people will now come to their senses and just buy what they need rather than what they see.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having 'the shopping experience' doesn't mean you have to buy things.

Strolling in the shopping mall came from America.

If they only went to the shops when they needed things people would probably go to Strand Street once a month.

Maybe people will now come to their senses and just buy what they need rather than what they see.

Have you always done this? I very much doubt it.

Why do people want such big TVs?

Because they're buyable.

I love the idea of going to the cinema but being an irritable type, I always come away feeling that an ok/good/great film has been ruined by watching it there (mainly due to inconsiderate folk making noise all the way through a film/kicking your seat etc).

So by having a stonking big telly at home you can enjoy such features a great deal more, and plus they're ace for playing video games on and just watching telly in general.

I can understand that, especially when there isn't much of a range of things to watch and is in Douglas.

I have - being an Epicurean and all that. Adverts and shop fronts mostly try and sell you stuff you don't need.

You have never bought a luxury? A TV or Radio? Everything you own you 'need'?

I doubt you are a true follower of Epicurus's teachings, you just like to think you are.

I have - being an Epicurean and all that. Adverts and shop fronts mostly try and sell you stuff you don't need.

You have never bought a luxury? A TV or Radio? Everything you own you 'need'?

I doubt you are a true follower of Epicurus's teachings, you just like to think you are.

I need a TV, a radio and a computer, so yes I bought them. They are quite basic, and do the job, and despite my background and what I do I'm not into home gadgets or fancy cars - I've had the same TV since 1998 (28" Sony).

Being an Epicurean doesn't mean living in a stone hut and whipping yourself - it's quite easy really: 1. Being financially/professionally/home secure/comfortable/happy not relying on anyone forcing me to do something I don't want to have to do i.e. my choices and freedoms, 2. never eating alone and having a good circle of friends, 3. periodically reviewing my life to ensure I'm on track to maintain 1 and 2, and 4. not watching adverts or listening to people who are usually trying to sell me something I don't need for 1 and 2. I can determine what I need for myself based on my own life without having to listen to the inane BS of adverts thanks.

Buy piles of shoite all the time and 1. financial security often goes out the window straight away. That's what the credit crunch is all about really.

Just look at adverts/shop fronts, they always try to 'sell you' products you don't really need by associating their products with security, friends and beating the Jones's. You can keep that AFAIC.

How does second hand smoke line up with the Epicurean "neither to harm nor be harmed."? I'm not convinced a fiver for a packet of fags is considered prudence either!

How does second hand smoke line up with the Epicurean "neither to harm nor be harmed."? I'm not convinced a fiver for a packet of fags is considered prudence either!

I said quite clearly I'm happy to do it in a smoking pub staffed by smokers away from you. Not everyone pays a fiver for a packet of fags these days, mine are £6, but that's my choice not yours. Prudence doesn't come into Epicureanism if something makes you happy and it is something you feel you need.

You seem to need to stick your beak into what everyone does and try and persuade them to live like you. I'd rather kill myself than be like that thanks.

I've never understood why that is too. I'm quite happy - I get the same effect for a fraction of the price with my nose pressed against my 14" portable in the bedroom, and by just moving my armchair closer to the telly in the lounge.

You remind me of the good old days - when my parents got an RGD 12" black and white TV in 1952. For the Coronation they bought this liquid filled 'magnifier' that sat in front of the tube. If you were lucky enough to be directly in front of it the screen looked about 18". Shame was that we kids had to sit at the side - so HMQ looked distinctly fair-ground mirror distorted.

On the topic...was in Skipton recently. Talking to one of the local shop-owners he was saying that a typical small shop in the main street there is costing £75,000 p.a. in rent. If you add on rates and wages, on-costs, tax and insurance etc...you need a big turnover to pay this. Don't know how this compares to Strand Street rents for smaller size shops.

He told me that at present property owners are apparently preferring to let shops close rather than accept lower rent. That cannot last.

I said quite clearly I'm happy to do it in a smoking pub staffed by smokers away from you. Not everyone pays a fiver for a packet of fags these days, mine are £6, but that's my choice not yours. Prudence doesn't come into Epicureanism if something makes you happy and it is something you feel you need.

You seem to need to stick your beak into what everyone does and try and persuade them to live like you. I'd rather kill myself than be like that thanks.

Na, I don't want everyone to live like me, I just don't see a way of creating dedicated smoking pubs practically, happy to discuss that in the other thread.

You don't seem to understand the Epicurean philosophy very well, or your just cherry picking again :)

Na, I don't want everyone to live like me, I just don't see a way of creating dedicated smoking pubs practically, happy to discuss that in the other thread.

You don't seem to understand the Epicurean philosophy very well, or your just cherry picking again :)

I understand the Epicurean philosophy of basic happiness I need thanks, and yes, I don't subscribe to the full version.

I see you are now an expert in another field now too. Maybe you should have a look at this which explains my application of it.

I see you are now an expert in another field now too. Maybe you should have a look at this which explains my application of it.

Never heard of it before, had to look it up. Seems quite sensible, I'm anti consumerist mostly, but I do now own a big huge telly because I love me xbox.

I've had the same TV since 1998 (28" Sony).

That's good going. I had a 28" Sony bought in 2000, unfortunately it gave up the ghost just last year.

I didn't see the point of buying a bigger TV until the old one died, also the fact it weighed a ton and I couldn't be bothered to try and carry it anywhere when it wasn't necessary.

I've had the same TV since 1998 (28" Sony).

That's good going. I had a 28" Sony bought in 2000, unfortunately it gave up the ghost just last year.

I didn't see the point of buying a bigger TV until the old one died, also the fact it weighed a ton and I couldn't be bothered to try and carry it anywhere when it wasn't necessary.

I still have a 24" Sanyo I bought in 1988!! Still works.

Archived