Ministry Of Propaganda News

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you heard of Somalia or the dark ages? In anarchy the powerful kill, rape and steal from the weak. A community enforcing modes of behaviour, and creating a monopoly on violence if you insist on going all sociological on me, is what stops that happening - such a community is commonly called a state.

Yours is the liberal perspective.

In anarchy? All things being equal if the government or state of a nation collapsed and capitalist practices and values remained there would be chaos as the powerful continue to usurp more and more control until a new state is reformed. This is why anarcho-capitalism, which is a very popular political theory in the U.S. cannot work.

I think you may be overlooking the fact that the powerful already do kill and steal from the weak. Government hires people to kill others when necessary in war and certainly in a our society the powerful steal from the weak. Except such theft is sanctioned in law. 'The Community' has the ability and often has enforced modes of behaviour and punished deviants, however, the state (which functions to service the rich and powerful) usurped this role. The state functions to protect the status quo that benefits this minority. It is not a product of the needs of the people. Though I do agree that the police and enforcement agencies DEAL with crime, but no more. But they cannot prevent because their existence is to maintain a system that creates the environment for crime, the police just clean up capitalisms mess. For example, the monopoly of violence is not something created by the people for the people but is there to be used against the people on behalf of a very small section of the populace who want to dominate the rest.

The anti-smoking 'industry' comprises all the taxpayer-funded anti-smoking jobs.

That's a very small fraction of those employed in the tobacco industry.

Good job the tobacco taxes fund them so well (the irony). IIRC, of every £100 I spend on smokes, £80 is taxes and duties, and around 20% of that is spent on treating smoking-related illnesses. Nice earner.

Are you sure? Source please.

S

The anti-smoking business has become as big as the pro-smoking business -

Come, come.

Where are the huge multi-national companies that make money from "anti-smoking"?

S

The Pharmaceutical companies that make very expensive anti-smoking product?

They make a fraction of the money generated by tobacco sales.

And arguably they are pro-smoking. If nobody smoked, they'd be out of business.

S

Archived