Barclays Job Losses ?

Dhoon Boy

From IOM Today

JOB losses could be announced at the Isle of Man's biggest private employer – after Barclays Wealth announced it was reviewing the roles of its entire staff.

A total of 500 jobs could go from Barclays Wealth's operations in the UK, the Channel Islands and here in the Isle of Man.

The investment management company has 7,300 employees worldwide and more than 800 based at two sites in Douglas – Eagle Court, Circular Road and Queen Victoria House, Victoria Street.

A spokesman for the head office in London said the review would look at the roles of the entire staff in Barclays PLC's investment banking and investment management (IBIM) wing that includes Barclays Wealth, Barclays Global Investors and Barclays Capital.

Seven per cent of jobs – some 2,130 – could be lost from IBIM as a whole.

The review will take 90 days to complete and it could result in a mixture of compulsory and voluntary redundancies while some staff could be redeployed elsewhere in the company, said Nicola Hankey, head of PR for Barclays Wealth.

She confirmed the 500 jobs would go in the UK, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great, more pointless people out of pointless jobs, maybe we'll start getting decent chips from the chippy again soon, once all the chip shop workers are back in their rightful place.

Who will invariably have families to support and put cash back in to the economic system in some form or another....

Did you forget to take your happy pills again this morning ;)

Great, more pointless people out of pointless jobs, maybe we'll start getting decent chips from the chippy again soon, once all the chip shop workers are back in their rightful place.

You not have a bank account then Bees?

Nope, shes a miser and has it all under her bed.

Yeah, ofc I do, where else would I get my benefit paid into if I didnt have a bank account slim? I bank with the Co-op dear.

But seriously....there are plenty of jobs, people just need to be prepared to work. I have worked in a nice cozy bank, some of the people worked hard some were only there for the perks, people going on about share save, sick pay, pension rights, employees rights blahdy blahdy blah. People who want to work have nothing to fear, there will be jobs, just not so many pointless ones, oh there I go, repeating myself.

Declan...I'm a book keeper, not an accountant. I do work for a lovely little company though :)

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely distasteful about any company with 'Wealth' in its name?

Asset Management doesn't quite have the same echo of the Brummie from The Fast Show "Oi'm con..sider..ably richer than YOW!"

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely distasteful about any company with 'Wealth' in its name?

Asset Management doesn't quite have the same echo of the Brummie from The Fast Show "Oi'm con..sider..ably richer than YOW!"

Agree

Let's have some plain English and just call 'people with high net wealth' rich.

Asset management is taking a slice of other people's money.

Apparently some of the countries that have the highest rate of satisfaction are the ones that have the most equality of incomes e.g. Scandinavia.

At present it sounds like it should be called Barclay's Wealth Mismanagement...with these job losses is the head honcho going?

At present it sounds like it should be called Barclay's Wealth Mismanagement...with these job losses is the head honcho going?

Dont think he'll be overly concerned either way :

Since joining Barclays he (Bob Diamond) has also taken control of the bank's wealth management (Barclays Wealth) and fund management (Barclays Global Investors) divisions. Subsequent to the 2008 financial crisis, there has been controversy over Diamond's pay as one of the world's highest-earning bankers, collecting a package worth up to £27m in 2006, £36m in 2007 (approx. $70m USD), and holding Barclays shares worth £65m.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Diamond

Since joining Barclays he (Bob Diamond) has also taken control of the bank's wealth management (Barclays Wealth) and fund management (Barclays Global Investors) divisions. Subsequent to the 2008 financial crisis, there has been controversy over Diamond's pay as one of the world's highest-earning bankers, collecting a package worth up to £27m in 2006, £36m in 2007 (approx. $70m USD), and holding Barclays shares worth £65m.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Diamond

Aphair I guess the Diamond geezer's shares may be worth a little less at present due to the way banks have managed wealth and the way markets have responded to that. On the other hand it is always good to see a close link between performance and remuneration - GIVE IT ALL BACK!!!!

These are the guys who wanted to pay big bonuses to the Lehman Brothers staff they acquired after the latter went bankrupt in case they lost them to the competition...my god!!!

My doctor advises me not to discuss wankers and merchant wankers as it is not good for my blood pressure (still I like high blood pressure).

Not nice HBoy - however much I dislike bankers, I'd only want the ringleaders ceremonially paraded out at dawn and thrown in the stocks.

The ones losing their jobs will probably just be ordinary working men and women trying to put food on the table. Banking was always such a 'safe' career - few will have a contingency plan for redundancy.

I feel sorry for any real people losing jobs so that the Masters of the Universe can continue to wreak havoc and fill their pockets even more.

Archived