Barclays Job Losses ?

Dhoon Boy

The person in the bank pushing the credit cards, loans, or other credit does so because that is what their employer wants them to do. If you disobey your masters you don't get treated well and who wants to risk losing their job. When your welfare depends on a job you aren't going to get very ethical about what you selling, it is just part of the day by day robot work you are paid to do.

Only following orders eh ?

I don't exactly disagree with you - but what I would say is that most workers have a boss who is also a worker and just as vulnerable economically. And that is likely to be the same at all levels of the hierarchy. Because, ultimately, the system of consensus is the only boss.

Even the top boss survives only at the whim of the board and the shareholders, the market, the press and the system itself.

I agree entirely, but in such a hierarchical system as the workplace, one works to please those who have authority over them because such people (wrongly) have the power to remove them from their job. But you are right, compliance is demanded at all levels.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty awful, as people have said above, many affected will be the ordinary employee just working to support their family.

Unfortunately, though, it is now time for the IOM to catch up with the reality of a lack of employment security. For years it has been an employee's market, but now the table are turning and I suspect there will be many who will find the transition difficult. There is a lack of maturity which, sadly, will have to change. Employees can no longer be complacent about their jobs and will have to step up to the plate, demonstrate the maturity, responsibility and creativity that, anywehre else, their current salaries would dictate. When we first moved back on 2002, I was flabbergasted at the amount of wealth displayed by ordinary employees; I have never seen so many brand new, high end cars, everyone taking expensive holidays and moving into houses worth twice mine. Not that I begrudge it, but the IOM was living in a bubble somewhat removed from reality and that is now changing.

I don't think that situation is anyone's fault, but the wise employee will now consider just how much added value they can bring to their work to try to secure their position.

I don't think that situation is anyone's fault, but the wise employee will now consider just how much added value they can bring to their work to try to secure their position.

You're probably right Gladys, but it sounds so boring! You could also be thinking about a wide range of other, more interesting options - such as opting out and becoming self-sufficient, busking your way round the world (if you're a musician), joining the Armed Services and having a brilliant time (so the ads would have us believe), going off to Africa working on schemes to help educate children, build wells/homes etc, spending the next 3 years at Uni studying something you actually love, and many more different ways to spend your one and only life on earth. Imagine having on your headstone 'She brought added value to her work in the finance sector'!

When we first moved back on 2002, I was flabbergasted at the amount of wealth displayed by ordinary employees; I have never seen so many brand new, high end cars, everyone taking expensive holidays and moving into houses worth twice mine. Not that I begrudge it, but the IOM was living in a bubble somewhat removed from reality and that is now changing.

There must be a load of highly geared relatively poorly paid workers crapping themselves is all I can assume.

Pretty awful, as people have said above, many affected will be the ordinary employee just working to support their family.

Unfortunately, though, it is now time for the IOM to catch up with the reality of a lack of employment security. For years it has been an employee's market, but now the table are turning and I suspect there will be many who will find the transition difficult. There is a lack of maturity which, sadly, will have to change. Employees can no longer be complacent about their jobs and will have to step up to the plate, demonstrate the maturity, responsibility and creativity that, anywehre else, their current salaries would dictate. When we first moved back on 2002, I was flabbergasted at the amount of wealth displayed by ordinary employees; I have never seen so many brand new, high end cars, everyone taking expensive holidays and moving into houses worth twice mine. Not that I begrudge it, but the IOM was living in a bubble somewhat removed from reality and that is now changing.

I know what you mean when you talk about a lack of maturity and complacency. The Island has had it better than in the UK and now things have changed it is wiser for the workers to make sure they are seen to be as least expendable as possible. In a sense it a good thing for the Manx worker to be made aware of how fragile and insecure employment is in capitalism, the worker is not the one in control. However, it is a travesty that such complacency is not shared in the UK but is unfortunately disappearing because of this wake-up as people are losing their jobs.

Yep, it is boring, but when you have to put a roof over your family's head and put food on the table, then boring is what life becomes; there is no option to opt out!

Which is why I think the radical politicisation of the worker is very much needed so the status quo can be challenged. When your job is about putting a roof over your head (which shouldn't be paid for anyway) and the likelihood of losing your job is so high because of the blunders that have been made how much stress and worry must this cause, your life is turned upside down for a while until you find another job, IF you find another job.

Which is why I think the radical politicisation of the worker is very much needed so the status quo can be challenged. When your job is about putting a roof over your head (which shouldn't be paid for anyway) and the likelihood of losing your job is so high because of the blunders that have been made how much stress and worry must this cause, your life is turned upside down for a while until you find another job, IF you find another job.

Thanks for that Citizen Smiff. Who do we write too?

post-2251-1232039814_thumb.jpg

Yep, it is boring, but when you have to put a roof over your family's head and put food on the table, then boring is what life becomes; there is no option to opt out!

I understand that - been there, done it and now regret the sacrifice. But if I could turn the clock back I'd either sell the house and buy a big boat to take the kids round the world, or a big campervan to do the same (once I'd made it to Europe!). All sorts of opportunities could open up along the way (or not) but think of the adventures you'd have - and the memories.

If you're intelligent, resourceful and adaptable, and don't want to settle for boredom, you'd survive. I wish I'd had the courage to do it instead of settling for the regular pay cheque and the mundane.

Agree with you entirely Snaipyr. It would take courage and making the decision before you become too 'dug-in'. Thinking about it, it was an option that I should have considered when we first moved back here; but at the time I felt that security was the absolute priority. Ah well, get the kids on their way and I may take myself off.

Strikes me that the Isle of Man better start looking to alternatives to the Finance Sector aka tax dodging and money laundering pretty damm soon.

In view of the economic slump and depression that WILL hit the Mainland putting the cost of continental holidays beyond the reach of Joe Public maybe the Tourist Board should dig out the old ‘Come Abroad to the Isle of Man’ adverts again.

And soon.

Strikes me that the Isle of Man better start looking to alternatives to the Finance Sector aka tax dodging and money laundering pretty damm soon.

In view of the economic slump and depression that WILL hit the Mainland putting the cost of continental holidays beyond the reach of Joe Public maybe the Tourist Board should dig out the old ‘Come Abroad to the Isle of Man’ adverts again.

And soon.

*rubs eyes* - it's really him :)

How?

1) Airlines - if you book a cheap ticket in advance the airline may well be out of business come summer.

2) Racket seems to have given up - www.steam-packet.com not working over here.

3) Walking on water from L'pool to Douglas is subject to a single-user agreement, even MHK's aren't allowed to use this option.

How?

1) Airlines - if you book a cheap ticket in advance the airline may well be out of business come summer.

2) Racket seems to have given up - www.steam-packet.com not working over here.

3) Walking on water from L'pool to Douglas is subject to a single-user agreement, even MHK's aren't allowed to use this option.

There's going to need to be a big time rethink anout the Islands economy, nothing is more certain, and the sooner that it gets under way the better.

It WILL involve investment, it WILL be traumatic, but with all of the fall out that WILL result from the financial and economic revolution that's just now starting a return to tourism really does look the least worst option to me.

This is not a recession like any other that has taken place, this is the commencement of a global depression ad the impact of the swing of wealth from West to East takes effect. Trying to deal with what's happening as if it wasz just another 'same old same old' will not work. This is the financial equivalent to the Chicxulub event.

It's time to plan in terms of root and branch change.

And soon.

*rubs eyes* - it's really him :)

And how we have missed him.... :P

Archived