Dyslexia - 'a Cruel Fiction'

Lonan3

STORY

As someone with a daughter who suffers from this condition, and as someone who has assisted in teaching other sufferers, I would not dare to comment on this MP at the moment. Later. perhaps, when I've had time to cool down!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An ill informed outburst from a non entity.

Ignore the cretin.

What's the betting in a couple of days of ' I was quoted out of context ' followed by a grovelling apology.

STORY

As someone with a daughter who suffers from this condition, and as someone who has assisted in teaching other sufferers, I would not dare to comment on this MP at the moment. Later. perhaps, when I've had time to cool down!

I think he's over generalising, but I do agree with him on it being a coverup for poor teaching methods in some cases. This has improved over recent years, with teachers now willing to accept different people learn in different ways. It used to be you were schooled using the trendy method of the time, and that's it.

I would agree that there are some cases out there where dyslexia is diagnosed all too easily and conveniently to cover up for lazy children, but to label it as a fictional condition is doing a massive injustice to those people who are genuine sufferers.

People these days are too keen to find medical reasons to explain poor behaviour (ADHD for example) and it harms the credibility of people who through no fault of their own find themselves disadvantaged in this way.

Don't let him get to you Lonan3 he's living in a bubble of self importance and this statement is going to come back and bite him on the ass.

I have known two people who have Dyslexia in my time, two of whom are very intelligent people, one of which is very much a self educated young man always learning from 'books on tape' and the other is a great reasoner and conversationalist.

before anyone posts any dyslexia jokes first consider that they may be in bad taste considering the seriousness of the article.

I have to argue about it being used as an excuse for poor teaching, my son has dyslexia yet the local authority we used to live in refused to statement kids wuith it due to the cost of meeting their needs, instead they used the specific learning difficulties banner, thus allowing them to get away with weak methods, it took until he started uni to get correctly assessed at wich point the local authority caved in and paid compensation. MY advice to anyone who has a child with this is to fork out for independant assessment then force them to do something.

Original article:

Dyslexia is a myth - Graham Stringer, MP for Blackley, in his Confidential column on literacy, crime, dyslexia and wasted money

http://www.manchesterconfidential.com/inde...lexia_is_a_myth

'Anybody who has any doubt about the impact of illiteracy on society should go to prison.'

I know NuShite don't like people to disagree with them, but that's a bit harsh ain't it?

"I don't believe in panaceas, but I am confident that if the rate of literacy were improved there would be an inevitable decline in crime.

"Children who cannot read or write find secondary school a humiliating and frustrating experience. Their rational response, with dire consequences, is to play truant.

"Drugs, burglaries, robberies and worse, then, often, follow."

Some children find it frustrating and humiliating because of the fact that they are in school in the first place having to be told what to do and what to learn by some stranger, and the manner in which they are educated is one that does not meet their needs. No wonder they play truant, it is sensible response of someone with an independent mind. Nevertheless, the result is no education and a greater struggle through life. They end up at the bottom of the society.

This MP sounds like a right pratt.

Personally, I think he does have something of a point, especially when he compares the numbers with Dyslexia in various countries/counties/regions etc.

Everyone with a problem seems to have to catergorise it and blame it on something or someone else these days - it's hardly ever 'down to themselves' anymore. Never has this been more so in the UK.

Some years ago, I taught 'O' and 'A' level maths privately to a dyslexic lad who had major problems at school, and he got A's in both. His real problem - was rearrangement of formula which is a common problem. So like some have mentioned, some people need to take more responsibility and work harder, some teachers are crap or don't have the time to help everyone...so I do think there's something to his assessment in terms of the numbers 'diagnosed'. For those that do genuinely suffer from dyslexia, I'm sure there's an equal number of lazy teachers and individuals too easily willing to call it dyslexia and cop-out of taking responsibility for things.

So I think he's 'half' right.

Quote [Graham Stringer, MP for Manchester Blackley, also suggested there was a link between illiteracy and crime - as prisons were full of people unable to read and write]

My partner quickly supported that theory and said that there's evidence to back it up providing that the Probation department released the figures to the general public.

I will obviously back my partner up due to him having insight that I don't have and I'm wondering as to what is happening out there to alter this? For instance;

Are teachers these days, able to deduce that a person is dyslexic?

If so, what is their course of action?

There's other factors, but I'll just ask those two at the moment.

Apart from the above, I'm not sure why the MP put himself into the firing line? Unusual really!

Archived