Dyslexia - 'a Cruel Fiction'

Lonan3

I don't know how to think about this. I mean you would have to stupid to not recognise that the majority of criminals come from a background where they have had less education than others. When they begin bargaining to find a job they have little to offer the employer if they are uneducated. So they are left with the shitty jobs or no jobs and understandably have more of a compulsion to appropriate other people's property, because they have no way of matching others incomes and spending. But to look specifically at illiteracy seems a bit short-sighted and the education system cannot respond to everyone needs, in fact it doesn't meet the children's needs at all.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how to think about this. I mean you would have to stupid to not recognise that the majority of criminals come from a background where they have had less education than others. When they begin bargaining to find a job they have little to offer the employer if they are uneducated. So they are left with the shitty jobs or no jobs and understandably have more of a compulsion to appropriate other people's property, because they have no way of matching others incomes and spending. But to look specifically at illiteracy seems a bit short-sighted and the education system cannot respond to everyone needs, in fact it doesn't meet the children's needs at all.

The majority of people who commit crimes are quite able to read and write. They work in good jobs and they don't get caught doing minor stuff on the streets.

i'm sure Bernie Madoff is the exception-he got found out.

From dealing with many people over many years I’ve found that the diagnosis of dyslexia is far more often used as a safe dumping ground by doctors and psychologists for what is in reality stupidity and low intelligence than a genuine inability to relate words to things.

In addition the alleged ‘high intelligence’ supposedly often associated with dyslexia is in fact nothing more than animal cunning that the stupid develop to make up for their cerebral shortfall.

Sorry if this offends, it’s my genuine belief based on what I’ve encountered.

Another ‘alibi’ diagnosis often used is ADHD – attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

All too often this is what in my childhood would have been described as a naughty and frequently spoiled brat, and mostly cured with a few damm good smacks, except in the genuinely mentally deficit where they would at some point have been taken from the parents and put in a place of safety behind locked doors.

From dealing with many people over many years I’ve found that the diagnosis of dyslexia is far more often used as a safe dumping ground by doctors and psychologists for what is in reality stupidity and low intelligence than a genuine inability to relate words to things.

In addition the alleged ‘high intelligence’ supposedly often associated with dyslexia is in fact nothing more than animal cunning that the stupid develop to make up for their cerebral shortfall.

Another ‘alibi’ diagnosis often used is ADHD – attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

All too often this is what in my childhood would have been described as a naughty and frequently spoiled brat, and mostly cured with a few damm good smacks, except in the genuinely mentally deficit where they would at some point have been taken from the parents and put in a place of safety behind locked doors.

Nice to see you back, Rog - and also nice to see that you've lost none of your ability to be both offensive and totally wrong.

I will use my own daughter as an example of dyslexia.

From the time she first went to school she found reading and writing uncommonly difficult. This surprised us as she seemed bright and intelligent and because none of our other children had shown any similar problems.

Before long, however, we discovered that she could do genuine mirror writing - writing that can only be read if you hold it up to a mirror - without any problem whatsoever. We also discovered through a book of 'problems' - that she could read from right to left without any difficulty or hesitation.

As well as such fairly obvious signs there were others. She could do arithmetic very well - but the answer was always reversed so that, for example, instead of being written as 23, it would be 32.

This had nothing to do with 'animal cunning.' She was about 6 or 7 at the time and clearly distressed that she wasn't able to make good progress at school.

So, did the school 'label' her as dyslexic? No... of course they didn't, because that would have meant having to give her extra tuition that they probably hadn't budgeted for!

Her primary school, in fact, completely refused to accept that she might be dyslexic.

It was only when she went to secondary school (she was fotrunate that we sent her to Ballakermeen because they are light years ahead of other local schools in this respect) that she was properly tested and, having been found to be positively dyslexic, was given the help she needed and has now I'm happy to say, not only caught with the average pupils but is beginning to take her rightful place with the brightest.

I have had the task of working with older children who never had that benefit - kids who are clearly and positively dyslexic - but who the schools that they've attended have either failed to or refused recognise. Some of them were at GCSE stage and it was, to all intents and purposes, too late to help them. Not surprisingly, they struggled but, once their dyslexia had been anylised and explained to them (You may not be realise it, but many dyslexics are not even aware that they have this problem!) they were able to understand what had happened to them and, instead of consigning them to a career of 'burger-flipping' many of them have tried to make up for the wasted years at school by taking courses at college.

So you will understand, perhaps, why I find the comments of a useless and ignorant arsehole such as Graham Stringer MP to be so offensive that I sincerely hope he dies choking on the utter bullshit that he speaks.

Nice to see you back, Rog - and also nice to see that you've lost none of your ability to be both offensive and totally wrong.

I will use my own daughter as an example of dyslexia.

From the time she first went to school she found reading and writing uncommonly difficult. This surprised us as she seemed bright and intelligent and because none of our other children had shown any similar problems.

Before long, however, we discovered that she could do genuine mirror writing - writing that can only be read if you hold it up to a mirror - without any problem whatsoever. We also discovered through a book of 'problems' - that she could read from right to left without any difficulty or hesitation.

As well as such fairly obvious signs there were others. She could do arithmetic very well - but the answer was always reversed so that, for example, instead of being written as 23, it would be 32.

This had nothing to do with 'animal cunning.' She was about 6 or 7 at the time and clearly distressed that she wasn't able to make good progress at school.

So, did the school 'label' her as dyslexic? No... of course they didn't, because that would have meant having to give her extra tuition that they probably hadn't budgeted for!

Her primary school, in fact, completely refused to accept that she might be dyslexic.

It was only when she went to secondary school (she was fotrunate that we sent her to Ballakermeen because they are light years ahead of other local schools in this respect) that she was properly tested and, having been found to be positively dyslexic, was given the help she needed and has now I'm happy to say, not only caught with the average pupils but is beginning to take her rightful place with the brightest.

I have had the task of working with older children who never had that benefit - kids who are clearly and positively dyslexic - but who the schools that they've attended have either failed to or refused recognise. Some of them were at GCSE stage and it was, to all intents and purposes, too late to help them. Not surprisingly, they struggled but, once their dyslexia had been anylised and explained to them (You may not be realise it, but many dyslexics are not even aware that they have this problem!) they were able to understand what had happened to them and, instead of consigning them to a career of 'burger-flipping' many of them have tried to make up for the wasted years at school by taking courses at college.

So you will understand, perhaps, why I find the comments of a useless and ignorant arsehole such as Graham Stringer MP to be so offensive that I sincerely hope he dies choking on the utter bullshit that he speaks.

Well said Lonan :thumbsup:

I've seen and know of people who are dyslexic and have overcome this in their own different ways. Some would even be considered gifted due to their ability in being good with their hands/physical/trade work etc.

I'm pleased to hear that Ballakermeen tests their students and I hope that many other schools do the same, but would hope (or like to hear) that this is picked up in the early days of schooling, as I personally believe that this has a big influence on young peoples attitudes and behaviour along with other factors of positive parenting, friends, relationships etc.

Thank you Lonan for bringing this up and I wish you and your family well.

Hello Rog. Glad you and your provoking controversies are back mate.

I have no doubt that there are genuine dyslexics as I've known one all my life. I also have no doubt that new excuses are always being proposed for bad behaviour by children. Not only to excuse the child but also the child's failing parents.

Special schools are expensive. Putting my daughter through one meant I didn't have any disposable income for a long time. Thinking about it because of her requirements I still don't! So I am against having to pay for those who don't have a genuine need i.e. they're just thick and their parents are useless and that's all that's wrong with them. Face it, they're enough of those and we all know of some...

My understanding is that dyslexia is a spectrum disorder with suffers having a wide range of symptoms which also vary widely in their severity.

Hence it is very difficult to diagnose.

For me teaching should be child centric and be adapted to their individual needs.

I think the MP's comments were ignorant of this basic knowledge about the condition - and I find his use of world literacy statistics to claim dyslexia doesn't exist purely disengenious - there are far more definitions of literacy than of dyslexia!

That said I agree with his empthasis of increasing literacy skills - and on the consequeces of illiteracy and being failed by the school system.

Schools have vastly more resources now than under previous governments - I feel too much of that money is being wasted and not being put into child-centric learning.

People are different and in order to frive need different environments - but also we are not so different that we all need 100% unique curriculums.

Schools have to cater for different skill sets, interests and abilities - stream, offer options, but also ensure kids sometimes have to muck together with people of different interests and abilities.

If this MP was trying to say that he said it so badly it was totally lost in the anger his ignorance has created.

Lonan3 - Its good to hear Ballakermeen is so good at dealing with these types of problems.

Of course there are people who are genuinely dyslexic, that is suffer from a disability to read and or write because they have a mental weakness that affects the association with graphical relationship to concepts, facts, or things, that is beyond question.

Based on my own experience over many years is what is also beyond question is that many, if not most cases of people given the diagnosis ‘dyslexic’, are actually simply thick.

It is unfair that physicians and psychologists so often take the soft option when presenting a diagnosis rather than telling it like it is in order to prevent offence.

It is unfair on the people who are genuinely disabled in a particular way such as those who suffer from dyslexia and the others who would do better to have their true problem set out plainly.

Rog don't forget that "mental weakness" may also be a "mental strength" in other areas - I've relations who cannot spell for toffee and who would seem to fit in the spectrum of dsylexia but who are also trully incredible in their lateral thinking and creativity especially spacially.

Rog don't forget that "mental weakness" may also be a "mental strength" in other areas - I've relations who cannot spell for toffee and who would seem to fit in the spectrum of dsylexia but who are also trully incredible in their lateral thinking and creativity especially spacially.

Couldn't agree more.

Archived