Manxman Sets Fire To Own Head In Bangkok Restaurant

cheeky boy

Surprisingly easy mistake to make after a 20hr flight and a few beers

Arriving in Bangkok on Monday evening, I ordered a bowl of Tom Yam soup which came in a sort of conical jelly mold thing with a burner under it. The soup was boiling away and I judged that it would soon overcook the squid so I removed the burner and tried to blow it out.

Due to cultural differences the burner was not the pissy little wick or candle type, but a cruciable full of burning lighter fuel which engulfed my head in a ball of flame when I blew into it.

The table also caught fire along with the chair and my shirt, only quick thinking on my part saved this from being a disaster as I poured all my beer onto the spreading inferno. The other forum member present made no attempt to help as he was pissing himself laughing

I suffered the loss of most of one eybrow, a few inches of hair and part of my mustache, my face received a premature tan but is now almost back to normal

The restaurant staff were very understanding and did not charge us for the hole in the tablecloth or the damage to the chair seat. My shirt was a write off

I am setting the story straight now before the other forum member gets internet access down here in Cambodia and tries to make me look foolish with his own distorted version of events.

I am setting the story straight now before the other forum member gets internet access down here in Cambodia and tries to make me look foolish with his own distorted version of events.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape there it could have been much worse. Good idea getting your version of events in first though.

Manxman Sets Fire To Own Head In Bangkok Restaurant

Hurrah!

Let the world tremble, for we are a mighty race.

See how the elements themselves cannot harm us. ( much )

Beware mortals!

I suffered the loss of most of one eybrow, a few inches of hair and part of my mustache, my face received a premature tan but is now almost back to normal

The restaurant staff were very understanding and did not charge us for the hole in the tablecloth or the damage to the chair seat. My shirt was a write off.

Quick! Don't let the restaurant staff fool you - get one of those personal accident lawyers on your case - could be worth zillions - pain, trauma, loss of essential and historic assets, premature tanning, ridicule...no wonder they were 'understanding'!!!! Enjoy the holiday!

Archived