[BBC News] Aircraft blown off side of runway

Newsbot

Here's the wind at 1020 and 1050

EGNS 151020Z 18026KT

EGNS 151050Z 18025G36KT

so as Bob says around 30kt, 80° off. The dry crosswind limit of the F50 is 30kt I am told so whatever, it looks like it was being operated close to limits. I hope for the Captain's sake it wasn't wet or gusts in excess of 30kt at the time. Anyway no one's hurt and the machine maybe OK which is what really matters.

(It's dead easy flying this armchair)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there any runway contamination Bob? (Runway) 21 would have been a better bet anyway.

Pre your edit,I thought that woman had moved the runways around in the last few years since I hung up my David Clark's.....

Edited to add (Runway)

The runways were wet.

There was some fairly low cloud this morning which would likely have prevented the use of 21 for landing..FEW007 BKN011 OVC030

Now you've got me really worried - low clouds and a wet runway - I thought that those were normal conditions here!

Does this mean that wet and low cloud = don't get in a plane without good insurance?

Manshimajin, there are two runways at Ronaldsway - the main 26-08 (East to West) runway has an instrument landing system for both directions and a shorter 21-03 (SW-NE) runway which has no instrument landing aids. If the wind is too strong out of the South or the North, the crosswind can be 'outside limits' for the main runway. On these rare occasions the shorter runway can be used so that a more into wind landing can be acomplished. As there is no instrument landing system for the shorter runway, one has to us the Mk 1 eyeball, a visual approach. If the cloud is low, or the visibility is poor, this ceases to be an option. For the VLM Fokker, they will have needed to be visual with the ground by 800 feet or so - the use of that runway is not authorised otherwise. Hope that helps.

Manshimajin, there are two runways at Ronaldsway - the main 26-08 (East to West) runway has an instrument landing system for both directions and a shorter 21-03 (SW-NE) runway which has no instrument landing aids. If the wind is too strong out of the South or the North, the crosswind can be 'outside limits' for the main runway. On these rare occasions the shorter runway can be used so that a more into wind landing can be acomplished. As there is no instrument landing system for the shorter runway, one has to us the Mk 1 eyeball, a visual approach. If the cloud is low, or the visibility is poor, this ceases to be an option. For the VLM Fokker, they will have needed to be visual with the ground by 800 feet or so - the use of that runway is not authorised otherwise. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Bob. I will never enjoy a 21-03 landing anymore!

Thanks for the explanation. It does make me wonder about the priority of capital expenditure at Ronaldsway - from a pilot and passenger point of view which is more important - runway extensions, new control tower or instrument landing aids on the second runway? Personally my priority is getting down safely.

Archived